Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2014 · Leica Monochrom v Sony A7(r)

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Leica Monochrom v Sony A7(r)

Sensor is only one spec of tool, we chose tool not based on one spec and we all have personal need for tool. For Allen A7r will be a disaster but for somebody shooting landscape and travel require change focal length fast and color image, leica MM will be PITA. I am at Zion right now and I know leica will not be with me for my next NP trip. Porlarizer is a pain, frame is pain, sunset/sunrise is almost unusable for single frame, you can't change perspective quick unless is only you and you only that have unlimited time to waste, but you have maybe less than a minute for best light etc...

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Leica Monochrom v Sony A7(r)

Michael - sorry to hear you are frustrated with the M9. I will say that the M240 would have made things a little bit easier for your landscape shots....

Jun 03, 2014 at 03:36 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Leica Monochrom v Sony A7(r)

Gary Clennan wrote:
Michael - sorry to hear you are frustrated with the M9. I will say that the M240 would have made things a little bit easier for your landscape shots....

luckily, I have A7, RX1, NEX7 with me at the same time just have to carry all the body up to angel's landing make me get such a strong impression what I need.
again RX1 prove itself by took more image than all other combined
I have pretty good idea what I want next time.

Jun 03, 2014 at 04:08 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Leica Monochrom v Sony A7(r)

zhangyue wrote:
Sensor is only one spec of tool, we chose tool not based on one spec and we all have personal need for tool. For Allen A7r will be a disaster but for somebody shooting landscape and travel require change focal length fast and color image, leica MM will be PITA. I am at Zion right now and I know leica will not be with me for my next NP trip. Porlarizer is a pain, frame is pain, sunset/sunrise is almost unusable for single frame, you can't change perspective quick unless is only you and you only that have unlimited time
...Show more

"Horses for courses", I guess.

Jun 03, 2014 at 04:37 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Leica Monochrom v Sony A7(r)

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I'm still going to wait until after Photokina before I make any decision, but would be interested to hear more about experience with B&W conversions from the Sony files. Is there a significant difference in tonality between the Leica MM files and the Sonys, or between the A7 and the A7R?

Jul 28, 2014 at 03:44 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Leica Monochrom v Sony A7(r)

MM is native black and white camera, so yes there will be difference between tonality. Also it lacks AA filter, cause it doesnt need one. It has per-pixel sharpness. Literally.

Something like advantage of any color camera over pure BW one is that you can use digital filters in post-processing to mimic for example orange filter, instead using one real. With MM, using color filters might be good idea. But also results from using them might be better, cause if you push files from any dSLR/mirrorless too far via digital filters while doing BW, you might see that colors just fall apart and you will end with hefty posterization.

IMHO, MM for BW works is probably one of best things that can be bought. Apart from Phase One Achromat backs.

Or to put it really simply, I simply like how MM pics look (14-bits and per-pixel sharpness might have something to do with that too).

As far as making BW pics out of A7 etc. goes, just download RAWs and see for yourself. Its about same as any digital color camera. Best BW pics, image quality wise is from cameras that have really deep colors and really good SNR. For example A7s might be decent, from these..

Jul 28, 2014 at 08:45 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.