Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Pub Lius

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Hi,

My 400D is reaching almost 80.000 pics and will probably die soon. I feel like I need something better in the studio anyway, and may keep the 400D for other stuff until it finally dies. Seems like a smarter move than waiting for it to die and then having to take the new one with me for stuff that the 400D would be more than enough to handle.

I'm neither a complete amateur, nor a pro. I do own a studio and I do take photography seriously, much more so than the fact that I still use just a 400D seems to indicate...

This is what I do:
[link removed]

There's about 10 different pages with shots on that sort of portfolio.

I plan to use the camera for studio portrait photography, both with flash projectors and continuous light (I'm just starting to experiment with that). I use primarily a Canon 50mm 1.4 USM lens.

The main thing for me is focus, something the 400D doesn't always get right, and image quality.

I want a good camera I can afford. Something that will improve my work and help turn me into a better photographer.

I don't see myself spending much more than a thousand euros, and it would really have to be worth it.

I'm looking for advice on what to get, and why, considering what I'm planning to use the camera for.

Feel free to mention cameras within my price range and over it, since that can be an eye opener for me.

Thank you for you time.

Edited on May 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM · View previous versions

May 26, 2014 at 08:21 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

A few thoughts:

Getting better equipment (and I will offer some suggestions about that) won't make you a better photographer, but it can definitely allow you to make better examples of the kind of photographs you do make. More study and practice can make you a better photographer.

For camera, you might look for a good used 5D Mk II, or maybe a 6D; those are very significantly superior to the 400D. (And if you could afford it, an upgraded 50mm lens would also help - like the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art; or, if you don't need AF, maybe a used Zeiss 50mm f2. Or, if you like the 50mm focal length on the 400D, perhaps a Canon 85mm f1.8 or a Sigma 85mm f1.4 to go with a 5D II or 6D.)

May 26, 2014 at 08:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

I'd say a 6D and maybe an EF 85/1.8 lens.

May 26, 2014 at 09:05 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

jcolwell wrote:

Seconded. Unbeatable combo for a wide variety of subjects, and will breathe new life into your 50/1.4 .

May 26, 2014 at 09:29 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

If you need a PC-sync port regularly for flash a 5D2 may be a better choice. Either would be a huge improvement over the 400D

May 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Pub Lius

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

if you don't need AF

I've been using auto focus out of need! The 400D's viewfinder is awful. Before the DSLRs appeared I used a Canon F1 with a 50mm 1.2 lens and I rarely screwed a shot (from a technical standpoint). I loved everything about it. No shot was ever out of focus, the light was always right.

Will any of the suggested cameras' viewfinder allow me to go back to manual focus?

My studio is not that big. For the kind of stuff I do 50mm is pretty much the limit. I do think 85mm lens are great, but I have to be able to frame an entire subject without swapping lenses. If I was planning to shoot outside I'd go for 85mm for sure.

If you need a PC-sync port regularly for flash a 5D2 may be a better choice.

I don't. I use a RF trigger to fire the projectors.

May 26, 2014 at 11:36 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Agree on the 6D or maybe a used 1Ds MkIII, both of which offer interchangeable focus screens that would make them far better MF bodies (a 1Ds3 might be too pricey)

May 27, 2014 at 01:00 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

The 5D2 also offers interchangeable focus screens, and centerpoint AF is quite good actually, if not a super-speed demon. I'd suggest that or a 6D. Used, it's in your price range. The 85mm f/1.8 would be a nice addition to your 50mm f/1.4.

An alternative is to look at a used Sony A7 or A7r (slightly out of your price range), but on your budget you'll need to use MF lenses at first.

May 27, 2014 at 01:33 AM
elicious
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

The viewfinder of a 6D will amaze you if you're used to a 400D!

The 6D offers some very interesting wireless controls options, as well.

Canon offers the 6D refurb for under $1300 from time to time.

HTH!

May 27, 2014 at 04:27 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Pub Lius wrote:
I've been using auto focus out of need! The 400D's viewfinder is awful. Before the DSLRs appeared I used a Canon F1 with a 50mm 1.2 lens and I rarely screwed a shot (from a technical standpoint). I loved everything about it. No shot was ever out of focus, the light was always right.

Will any of the suggested cameras' viewfinder allow me to go back to manual focus?

My studio is not that big. For the kind of stuff I do 50mm is pretty much the limit. I do think 85mm lens are great, but I have to be able
...Show more

I agree with the 6D and 85mm f1.8 combo...but why?

You are already shooting with near an 85mm lens's field-of-view. On a crop body like your 400D, a smaller sensor camera than the full frame 6D, a 50mm lens acts like an 85, just do the math, 1.6x crop factor means 1.6 times the focal length, thus 50 actually equals 80mm.

Get a 6D full frame body and your 50mm now becomes a true 50mm lens and thus will give you a wider field-of-view. It will also give you less lens compression and as a consequence will not flatten out your subject as much. For portraits a subject's facial features will become a bit more pronounced; bigger nose, eyes, cheeks, ears, etc., and sometimes if you are to close can become unflattering.

Your F1 and 50 f1.2 combo rendered portraits differently than your 400D with 50mm does; because 35mm film equates; is the same physical size, as a full frame sensor is. So to duplicate that 50mm fullframe look on a crop sensor body you need about a 31mm lens; lens length times 1.6 crop factor.

That is why many are suggesting you add an 85mm to your kit if you get a 6D or another fullframe body. If you just move to a newer crop body like the newer 70D then your 50mm is just fine; your field-of-view doesn't change..

Good luck with your portrait business, moving to a fullframe body gives you all the shallow depth of field options that your F1 film body did, that alone will help you isolate subject from background, giving you that silky smooth blur known as bokeh. And, when your business grows, your profits are better, and you can afford it, do look at the 50 and 85 f1.2 L lenses, as they will give you even more, silkier bokeh.

And lastly, moving to the 6D or another fullframe body will net you a better, bigger and brighter viewfinder. This will help with focus, both auto and 'manual'. These viewfinders are very much like what you had with your F1 film body, they are simply fantastic. Also, liveview; the LCD's, on the latest bodies display very fine details; it's quite amazing. With the extra detail you can magnify the LCD's image by as much as 10x, thus focusing on smaller detail; like eyes, then it becomes much easier to pin point your focus.

Hope this helps, if you understand the crop factor, field of view issue already, you've my apologies for my long winded explanation/reply.

Cheers,
Jerry

May 27, 2014 at 04:32 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Even an original 5D is going to be a step up in IQ from your XTi. You can't go wrong with the 5D2 or 6D. You can always get a 1DsII if you want a 1D series body and a full fame sensor (old interface, awesome images). If it was me, I'd go for the 6D. Use the lens you have...and then get the 85mm 1.8 .

May 27, 2014 at 03:47 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

The 6D alone may run around 1.5k EURO in Portugal, so not much wiggle room there. Don't know what a used 5DII would cost there, however either will be a very enjoyable jump from the Xti and very good for the photography path from here forward.

May 27, 2014 at 04:39 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Another recommendation for the 6D and 85/1.8. FANTASTIC combo.

May 27, 2014 at 07:01 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Used 1Ds2.

May 27, 2014 at 07:07 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

I second the used 1DsII idea. Much better AF than 5DII. Beautiful rendering. Superb pro camera. And yes you will be able to focus again through the viewfinder. I'd want AF, but if you're willing to manually focus, consider a Samyang 85 f/1.4. It's cheap and it comes with the bokeh of a very fast lens, which you won't quite get with the 85/1.8.

May 27, 2014 at 09:19 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

One more thought: If you're willing to manually focus, and, as it appears, your subjects are stationary, the consider a body with live view -- you can then zoom in 10x when setting up the shot for perfect focus even with the shallow DOF of an f/1.4 lens. E.g., 6D.

May 27, 2014 at 09:22 PM
Pub Lius

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Jerry (StillFingerz), thanks for the informative post. I did understand the crop sensor/full frame thing, bit it was still a nice read (which I'm sure will help other too), and also an important reminder. The last time I compared a SLR with a 50mm lens with the 400D with the same focal lenght was years ago. I wasn't even accounting for such a difference. I was actually happy I'd be able to get a bit closer to the subjects with the 6D 50mm combo. But yeah, it does make sense.

I'll have to read some reviews so I'll feel confident that the 85mm is at least as crisp as the 50mm. The L series is a bit too much for me right now.

Great news on the viewfinder. I may end up buying the Canon EG-S Super-Precision Matte Screen or something if needed. Something that emulates the F1 viewfinder, or at least reproduces the ease of use.

May 27, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Pub Lius

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Something in the 1DS family line would be way too expensive for me. I won't refuse one if offered though...

And yeah, LiveView will be helpful for sure, regardless to how great the viewfinder on the 6D is.

Yep, all (well, most of) you guys seem to be absolutely right. The 6D seems like the way to go. A huge improvement over the 400D in every way. My first DSLR ride as been a bit bumpy, and lasted way too long. The 6D seems to provide a closer experience to what I loved about the Canon film cameras.

I'll probably end up buying the 85mm lens too, in a few months. I like to take these things one at a time.

May 27, 2014 at 09:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Pub Lius wrote:
.... I like to take these things one at a time.

Good plan. That way, you can better appreciate what has changed.

May 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Here's what I do. What Canon DSLR should I buy?

Just a 'quickie', I've both the 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, both are fine lenses but IMHO the 85mm is the better, it's sharper across the frame and AF speed is faster; the 85 is a real gem. I've much the same feeling about the 100 f2, it's one on Canon's best non-L lenses...

The 28 f1.8, 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, make up my evening activity/event kit; they're inexpensive and each works well. Now that Canon has updated the 24-35 wides with IS, I hope they give us a 50 and 85 as well; maybe even a 135L with IS

May 27, 2014 at 11:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.