New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · GH4, EM1...or what?

galenapass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GH4, EM1...or what?

We recently had an informative post where a video from "The Camera Store" was linked comparing the AF of the Fuji X-T1, Sony a6000, Olympus OMD E-M1 and Panasonic GH4, against the Nikon D4S. I generally enjoy and find The Camera Store videos useful. After watching this video it had me thinking that perhaps I would get a GH4 (probably try one first by renting), but upon further reading I have decided against it. My needs are a camera with fast AF and reasonable AF-C performance (so far so good). But, I want to match this with a GOOD 500mm + lens for birding (so the Sony A6000 is out). The upcoming Olympus 300mm F/4 (and 50-150mm f/2.8) is on my radar and has me strategizing my possible exit from DSLRs for good (maybe). The "problem" with the GH4 is that uses a new method to achieve focus, and that method is called Depth From Defocus (DFD). In order for this method to work 'the camera has to have a detailed understanding of the lens' bokeh, across the full range of out of focus conditions'. This is fine for Panasonic lenses which will be profiled in the camera and new Panasonic lenses will come with their own firmware profile; however, I can find no evidence that it would work with the Oly 300mm f/4. In order for the GH4 + Oly 300mm combo to take advantage of DFD, I think a camera firmware update would be necessary. It's too bad I would have liked to have both a GH4 and this new Oly lens. Given this particular need, any thoughts out there? Anybody read of GH4 firmware updates that will be made ready with new lens profiles (from different makers)? Forget about it and just get an EM1? Buy an EM5, save some cash, and use it as a stop gap until Olympus releases a model with faster AF-C? Stick with your big DSRL gear?

The easy answer is to stick with what I have, but I find the smaller size to be a compelling reason to explore the idea of switching.

FYI Imaging resources has a nice review of DFD towards the bottom of this page (see Tech Insight):
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh4/panasonic-gh4A.HTM

May 26, 2014 at 05:39 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GH4, EM1...or what?

If video is important to you the decision is a no-brainer. But otherwise, to me, the lack of IBIS is a deal breaker. With the E-M1 you get 3-4 stops of image stabilization which is huge, especially with the 40-150/2.8 and 300/4 lenses. You get no IBIS with the GH4. IQ-wise they are about comparable.

And, for sure, the next iteration of the E-M1 will have C-AF that is at least as good as the GH4 and possibly better … but I don't think you will see any long/fast OIS lenses from Panasonic outside of their 150/2.8 … and they were talking about pricing this lens upwards of $3,000 a couple of years ago!

Edited on May 26, 2014 at 06:39 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2014 at 06:35 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GH4, EM1...or what?

Ah yes...totally forgot about IBIS. That is critical.

May 26, 2014 at 06:36 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GH4, EM1...or what?

I haven't missed ibis at all since switching from an E-M5.

If the GH4 wasn't so big I think it'd be the easy choice. It's got the complete package IMO. A6000 is the best value.

Edited on May 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2014 at 08:24 PM
Mark K
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GH4, EM1...or what?

I looked at the first half of that video....and reviewed the discussion. There will be no mistake if you choose either one of the four mirrorless. I will go for A6000 because of the relative inexpensive price, and my collection of E mountt lenses

May 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GH4, EM1...or what?

I think the bodies are so good these days I look at lenses more now. The FE55 is worth owning an E-Mount and I think the Oly 12-40 and upcoming Oly 7-14 will be worth owning MFT.

May 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GH4, EM1...or what?

Birding? fast AF tracking? mirrorless sytem? The answer is stick with what you have. I answer this from my own background of owning and using Canon 1DX and Nikon D4s PLUS having all 4 different mirrorless systems (A7/A7r/GH4/X-T1/E-M1). You have to remember the test from The Camera Store did with big subject and predictable movement. I assume you're a bird shooting base on your profile gear (Mark III with 500IS). You can't predict the bird flying pattern and the background, the sky, etc. Don't get me wrong, all 4 cameras i mention above are good but they are not up for birding yet.

May 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GH4, EM1...or what?

You will be able to get away with the bigger and slower birds like sandhill cranes, but it would be very tough with smaller swift-flying birds.

Bubble wrote:
Birding? fast AF tracking? mirrorless sytem? The answer is stick with what you have. I answer this from my own background of owning and using Canon 1DX and Nikon D4s PLUS having all 4 different mirrorless systems (A7/A7r/GH4/X-T1/E-M1). You have to remember the test from The Camera Store did with big subject and predictable movement. I assume you're a bird shooting base on your profile gear (Mark III with 500IS). You can't predict the bird flying pattern and the background, the sky, etc. Don't get me wrong, all 4 cameras i mention above are good but they are not up
...Show more

May 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GH4, EM1...or what?

Having owned all 4 of the cameras that they tested, I will agree that the GH4 has the best tracking AF of all of the 3, the limited time I had the A6000 showed that it was good as well. Just the body didn't fit comfortably in my hand so that went back. The E-M1 I used for 7 months and was great, the IBIS is very helpful. And X-T1 just didn't mesh with me that well.

May 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GH4, EM1...or what?

For what it is worth in the shootout from the Camera Store, for continuous AF they rated the EM-1 as the best, and for single shot AF and overall AF performance they rated the GH4 best.

May 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GH4, EM1...or what?

Maybe it's just me, but I find all CAF with tracking to be terrible no matter what camera I'm using. I always resort to manual focus.

Tracking fish in my reef aquarium who dart in and out and go everywhere unpredictably, no camera can handle it including high end DSLRs.

My E-M1 has so far been the only one with any semblance of being able to do AF tracking in this scenario and that's with perhaps a 30% hit rate. Everything else just gives up and fails or locks on to the wrong thing. My use case of course is somewhat niche.

May 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GH4, EM1...or what?

I've owned the EM1 and quite frankly there is NO way it tracks fast moving subjects as well as my current Fuji X-T1 with a 55-200OIS on the other end. Just my results. Others may have a different experience, but I was shocked how well the X-T1 is capable in high speed tracking mode. The EM1 still relies completely upon contrast focus method with mft lenses on it regardless.

May 27, 2014 at 07:18 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GH4, EM1...or what?

TMaG82 wrote:
Having owned all 4 of the cameras that they tested, I will agree that the GH4 has the best tracking AF of all of the 3, the limited time I had the A6000 showed that it was good as well. Just the body didn't fit comfortably in my hand so that went back. The E-M1 I used for 7 months and was great, the IBIS is very helpful. And X-T1 just didn't mesh with me that well.

+1

Bought the GH4 to be my video workhorse and thought I'd try the A6000 as a compliment to the A7, but it hunts far more often compared to the GH4 indoors. Outside in good light the GH4 is faster as well. The A6000 is going back to fund a GH4 grip and some other gear. I kinda wish I hadn't sold my Nex5n, the A6000 is a bit of a disappointment. I'm not a sports or BIF shooter, but I'm amazed at how fast the GH4 AF locks, its better than any mirrorless I've used including the Em5. Haven't tried the Em1 yet though.

May 30, 2014 at 06:00 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GH4, EM1...or what?

My experience was that the X-T1 tracks better too, especially as the subject gets closer to you. In any case, CAF is no longer something that mirror less cameras can't do. All the makers have competent CAF to go along with pretty darn good single shot. I love the added accuracy these cameras have over DSLRs with fast lenses. Never have to worry about front or back focus.

traveler wrote:
I've owned the EM1 and quite frankly there is NO way it tracks fast moving subjects as well as my current Fuji X-T1 with a 55-200OIS on the other end. Just my results. Others may have a different experience, but I was shocked how well the X-T1 is capable in high speed tracking mode. The EM1 still relies completely upon contrast focus method with mft lenses on it regardless.

May 30, 2014 at 06:40 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GH4, EM1...or what?

The "problem" with the GH4 is that uses a new method to achieve focus, and that method is called Depth From Defocus (DFD). In order for this method to work 'the camera has to have a detailed understanding of the lens' bokeh, across the full range of out of focus conditions'. This is fine for Panasonic lenses which will be profiled in the camera and new Panasonic lenses will come with their own firmware profile; however, I can find no evidence that it would work with the Oly 300mm f/4. In order for the GH4 + Oly 300mm combo to
...Show more

It is trure that DFD only works with a Lumix lens.
So AutoFocus with an Oly lens will probably only be as good as if you used it on the best Oly camera.

I think this is a smart move as Panasonic wants to sell you the 100-300 instead.

Of course, you could write a GH4 Hack?

Jun 06, 2014 at 10:48 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.