Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Admittedly, I am as much of a techie as can be when it comes to gear. I love the capabilities of the latest cameras, lenses, and lighting equipment.

Having said that, I have really come to appreciate what I've seen people in this forum getting out of natural light...and without modifiers as well. No reflectors, diffusers, strobes, etc...just photographer, camera, and subject...

Lisa Holloway is an excellent example of this...much of her work is exactly that...

I understand there are limitations to what one can do with natural light...the classic example of a backlit subject. Expose for the subject and the sky is blown out. Expose for the sky and your subject is too dark. Using flash and/or strobes perhaps with ND filters (in some cases) allows us to compress the dynamic range of a photo and get everything in without a loss of detail. I understand that. There will be situations where flash is a must...

What I think photographers like Lisa have been able to do is to demonstrate very effectively that it doesn't have to be that complicated (or expensive) to take quality portraits. Granted, Lisa's post-processing is second-to-none and that is a key part of her image effectiveness...and another reason her classes fill up months in advance...

I, for one, am encouraged by this and will continue to try and work with the simplest of techniques. Yes, I may rent strobes for a shoot where they are needed/desired, but for now, it's camera, lens, and my photographer's eye.

I have been so encouraged by the people in this forum, their feedback, and the work they post.

Thanks to all of you...

May 26, 2014 at 04:24 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Hummmm ... the secret is to CHOOSE your natural light. Clouds, building shadows, trees, and other simple things are the photographer's best friends. Even direct sun can be friendly on occasion.

May 26, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Howdy.

Your title for this thread got me.

I never use flash. My choice.

I always use Natural Light whenever possible. My choice.

If indoors, I prefer "window light" and only use ambient light (never flash). My choice. .

I seldom use a reflector now, and I think most people misuse them.

I do not replace skies. My choice.

May 26, 2014 at 05:18 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Russ,

I appreciate what you're going for here, but I think you're completely missing out by not harnessing the creative power of a flash. Down below, you'll see a wonderful example of how a flash can really add to a daylight portrait.

With this couple, they wanted a shot at the local minor league baseball park. It was probably close to 6 p.m., sun starting on its way down, but I wanted them backlit by the sun. So I exposed for the ambient sunlight, and then dialed in my flash at high-speed sync to make this wonderful portrait that I know they will treasure long after they leave their bodies and becomes ghosts haunting this stadium.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5276/14091984660_6f19db1e67_b.jpg

May 26, 2014 at 06:46 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Ron!!! Bahahahaha!!!!

May 26, 2014 at 06:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

On the serious side, here's the deal. As a pro, there are times a client wants to shoot in mid-day light due to their schedule or whatever. We have to modify the light during those shoots. Use a gobo, whatever, but they can't be in direct overhead sunlight, or we need a flash that will overpower the sunlight.

For portraits, I don't use an assistant so I can't have someone modifying the sunlight onto them, so I have to use my speed lights in high-speed sync. Works great (when everything's dialed in).

Now... if I had it my way and I shot every portrait in the golden hour, I would definitely shoot all natural light. I don't even like to use reflectors. So, to me, being able to use the speed lights in daylight is a necessity for what I do.

May 26, 2014 at 06:51 PM
Nexu
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

russdenney01 wrote:
I understand there are limitations to what one can do with natural light...the classic example of a backlit subject. Expose for the subject and the sky is blown out. Expose for the sky and your subject is too dark. Using flash and/or strobes perhaps with ND filters (in some cases) allows us to compress the dynamic range of a photo and get everything in without a loss of detail. I understand that. There will be situations where flash is a must...

Don't underestimate how much you can underexpose and then lift the shadows in post with today's sensors. It's much, much easier to underexpose your subject slightly and preserve some sky, then lift the shadows, than it is to try to do something with a blow out sky (unless of course you don't care if the sky is blown out).

May 26, 2014 at 07:35 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Ron.

I understand, as a pro that is required to shoot in less-than-ideal circumstances, going the natural-only no modifier route won't always work.

I do have some flexibility in this regard as I have been able to choose the subject, the location, and the time of day otherwise I pass on the opportunity.

Nexu - I am aware of how much shadows can be lifted. Your point is a good one.

All I am emphasizing is that there is ample opportunity to get great shots without all the fuss of extra lights and modifiers. Again, Lisa has proven this time and time again (btw - she's agreed to give me 10% for all the business this plug gives her )

May 26, 2014 at 07:50 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

On a side note, I have used HSS before Ron. I found the loss of sooo much power for every stop you go over native sync speed to make it nearly unusable. By the time I put any form of modifier on to soften the light (i.e. - softbox), I found the speed lights didn't have enough power to do the job.

May 26, 2014 at 08:01 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Few folks see light well enough to know when they can get away with natural light and when they need to augment light with reflectors and/or OCF. Not enough folks realize how bad on camera fill flash is almost all the time when doing portraits. One of the best at using both on camera and off camera fill flash is Phillip Filtz, who can also take excellent portraits with natural light.

As someone who actually made a living with photography, I can tell you that you can't fit all your appointments into the golden hour. You also can't always count on locations that will provide you with nice open shade. While I prefer natural light, I think it is important to have the knowledge and ability to use other methods of lighting the subject. Also, there's lots of interesting environmental portraits to be taken that doesn't include open fields and the sun behind your subject.

The nice thing about natural light is that it makes you see the light. Once you've become proficient in seeing the light, you can translate that into the proper use of reflectors and/or OCF.

Finally, Photoshop can cover a myriad of sins. While it provides a level of control unheard of back in the day when we had to get it right in the camera, it can easily become a crutch that can lead to sloppy image capture technique. There's more to good photography than pushing all the sliders to the right.

May 26, 2014 at 09:01 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Good points indeed. One approach will not work for all situations. It is good to have the necessary skills no matter the situation.

May 26, 2014 at 09:27 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Wow ...

From what I have seen, the best photographs are done with natural light ... I certainly do not feel limited, and as others have said, you have to choose your light.

Also, there is no doubt that Lisa is a superb photographer, but she also uses a lot of post processing as well ... nothing wrong with that, as her images are stunning. My point is that you can do quite a bit with natural light and not need post process if you are smart about it. To me, that is the fun of it, to get it right in camera and limit post processing as much as possible.

One great photographer who avoids post processing is Bryan Peterson ... check out his work sometime. Almost 100% natural light.

Edited on May 28, 2014 at 06:53 AM · View previous versions

May 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

friscoron wrote:
Russ,

I appreciate what you're going for here, but I think you're completely missing out by not harnessing the creative power of a flash. Down below, you'll see a wonderful example of how a flash can really add to a daylight portrait.

Ron, you way over-processed the skin and I can tell this was shot at night. The sky composite isn't at all convincing.

May 26, 2014 at 11:40 PM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

Lately, I always use flash. But I started out trying to find good light. Also lately, I've been able to go back on some of my old images where there wasn't good light and fake it in post.

May 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

I prefer to use only natural light when outside assuming I can shoot in the conditions I want. Because this seldom happen I either modify my style and what I want the image to look like to fit the conditions or add modifiers to the light to make it work as I want. That could be using reflectors, a sun block or fill flash. To be safe on paid shoots which is just about all I do I will do a little of each so I know I will have my standard look to fall back on and something different.

I am not one of the photographers who prefers black walls and no windows. I have a big row of windows allowing in the light I want and use them for almost every shoot. I do like to add flash but only because it is a look I like and works for me.

May 27, 2014 at 08:44 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Natural light portraits without modifiers...

nolaguy wrote:
Ron, you way over-processed the skin and I can tell this was shot at night. The sky composite isn't at all convincing.

Ha!!!

May 27, 2014 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.