p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fly Fishin ...

Probably not what you were thinkin' ...

May 26, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Healey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fly Fishin ...

Very sweet!

How did you get the water so still? Or is this a case of some classy selective masking?

May 26, 2014 at 03:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fly Fishin ...

Thanks.

No masking/pp for the water stillness ... just the shutter speed and natural calming at the end of the day.

Got lucky with some lighting changes kickin' up off the pond as the sun went down. Here's an earlier one without as much color.

May 26, 2014 at 03:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fly Fishin ...

The second one is easier to get if not as artistic.

May 26, 2014 at 04:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fly Fishin ...

Beautiful colors, creative composition.
Scott

May 26, 2014 at 06:18 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fly Fishin ...

Quite like the colors of the first.

May 26, 2014 at 06:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fly Fishin ...

Thanks guys.

This was but one of several variants captured ... might show up again in another form, but this was the one that "spoke to me" the most.

Spent the weekend at a cabin for some tranquility, just trying to capture some of that spirit.

May 26, 2014 at 08:05 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fly Fishin ...

Of course the imagined picture of a house fly sitting on a twig with a tiny rod, line and bobber in the water keeps tempting me as a conceptual groaner: _Fly_Fishing_.

May 27, 2014 at 12:15 AM
clipping path

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fly Fishin ...

It's looking very nice. but I don't understand that what is it? It's color are beautiful.

May 27, 2014 at 03:48 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fly Fishin ...

The dragon fly sitting on the fishing bobber in the second image is setting on the twig in the first and not as obvious, took me a while to see it.

May 27, 2014 at 08:38 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fly Fishin ...

I really like the colors of the first, and the dragonfly is very subtle. I think the second one works better (aka more obviously?) overall with the title.

As a fly fisherman, it pains me to see a big bobber associated with fly fishing.

May 27, 2014 at 09:21 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fly Fishin ...

I like both but the first one is more appealing to me. It is tranquil, and the colors are beautiful.
Once I noticed the fly my eye is drawn to it every time I look. It seems to be somewhat of a photographic 'pun'.

If you wanted to play a bit you could enhance the reflection of the fly on the twig and move the fishing-line reflection to the reflected fly. Add an inspirational message in the corner and it could easily go viral on Facebook.

May 27, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fly Fishin ...

The first one is my favorite. I like the color, composition and lighting.

May 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fly Fishin ...

Love image #1 and while it is more difficult to see the Dragon Fly, all the elements needed are incorporated into the image. I agree that image #2 makes it easier to see the Dragon Fly "Fly Fishing", although he could just be bobbing along. Have you thought of artificially changing the WB in the second image to a warmer tone. A quick re-work, not sure if it works aw well as image #1.

Edited on May 27, 2014 at 06:28 PM · View previous versions

May 27, 2014 at 01:38 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fly Fishin ...

clipping path wrote:
It's looking very nice. but I don't understand that what is it?

I believe someone made a fishing pole from a tree branch, attached a length of monofilament fishing line, a bobber and presumably a hook and bait. While waiting for a fish to take the bait and pull down the bobber, a dragonfly landed on the pole.

May 27, 2014 at 02:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fly Fishin ...

Thanks guys.

gregfixit wrote:
I like both but the first one is more appealing to me. It is tranquil, and the colors are beautiful.
Once I noticed the fly my eye is drawn to it every time I look. It seems to be somewhat of a photographic 'pun'.

If you wanted to play a bit you could enhance the reflection of the fly on the twig and move the fishing-line reflection to the reflected fly. Add an inspirational message in the corner and it could easily go viral on Facebook.

Nuance as usual, but tranquil was the word/vibe/message I was looking to project ... end of the day, pole in the water (i.e. not really fishin'), sunset, calm waters.

Definitely in the "pun" range, but I rarely take a pic of a flower and simply call it a flower. The entendre (single, double or triple) is often one of nuance for me. For me, it can be a challenge to see if the viewer (based on my presentation skill, etc.) can look within the overt for a bit deeper study of the elements involved to make the connection(s). Certainly not all images would be applicable, but I do have some propensity to strive for it at times. The second one though, is certainly an "easier read".

FarmerJohn wrote:
I really like the colors of the first, and the dragonfly is very subtle. I think the second one works better (aka more obviously?) overall with the title.

As a fly fisherman, it pains me to see a big bobber associated with fly fishing.

The fly on the pole (or bobber) is personified as "fishing" and the reference to true fly fishing (which obviously this is not) thus presents the "double entendre" ...

May 27, 2014 at 04:50 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fly Fishin ...

RustyBug wrote:
The fly on the pole (or bobber) is personified as "fishing" and the reference to true fly fishing (which obviously this is not) thus presents the "double entendre" ...

Oh, I appreciate the pun. Don't worry. Still groaning though

May 27, 2014 at 06:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fly Fishin ...

Yup ... definitely a groaner.

Here's one without the groaning fly.

May 27, 2014 at 06:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fly Fishin ...

What happened when I first saw image one was this. I saw a smooth bronze mirror like surface. Next I saw a branch used for a fishing pole and its reflection. Next I saw the bobber with the meniscus around it confirming that this is water.

But the title posed a riddle to be solved and the solution of that riddle pulled me away from the visual aspect and caused me to try to understand it.

When you showed the second image, I saw the fly and made the connection. Because you were there and was no doubt aware of the fly it was never a mystery to you.

Anyway, thats how I saw it. I like the first and the last for that matter and it is rare that I like something this abstract.

May 28, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Nitro098

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fly Fishin ...

nice work

May 31, 2014 at 07:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.