New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The gaze

rongwam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The gaze

I just reprocessed an old photo to monochrome version. As always, C&C are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

May 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The gaze

Or "The Glare"

In any case, stunning photo, lighting and processing. Pristine.

Regards,

Chuck

May 26, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The gaze

Everything I write here on FM is intended to help. Everything I write is in a truly friendly spirit and tone of voice.

Unfortunately, you can't hear my voice on this forum, and written comments can be easily misunderstood for tone and intent. That is why I prefer to speak with people I mentor/advise on a phone call when giving them advice and giving critical opinions (critique) of their images. Otherwise, what is intended to help someone can be taken wrongly, and that defeats the purpose of the communication. And, because I want to avoid flaming and trolls, I tend to refrain from writing some things here that could be instrumental in helping someone improve, but may be taken out of context or misused by others. So, I limit my written comments here...though I am sure some will disagree on that last point.
_________________-

The skin looks plastic and it appears she is wearing a mask.

May 26, 2014 at 02:08 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The gaze

Hmmm. I'm surprised, Steady... and I only comment because I respect your opinion.

I think the processing was pushed close to the edge but I still found it credible. I know several girls whose skin is this clear and I suppose it could be the sneezes on my monitor but I see sufficient texture to fall considerably short of plastic.

And I don't understand the "mask" comment at all.

Different howdies for different cowboys, I suppose.

Regards,

Chuck

May 26, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The gaze

nolaguy wrote:
Hmmm. I'm surprised, Steady... and I only comment because I respect your opinion.

I think the processing was pushed close to the edge but I still found it credible. I know several girls whose skin is this clear and I suppose it could be the sneezes on my monitor but I see sufficient texture to fall considerably short of plastic.

And I don't understand the "mask" comment at all.

Different howdies for different cowboys, I suppose.

Regards,

Chuck

Everything that follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help.

You asked why I used the word "mask."

The "Mask" comment is because of the contrast (tone) on parts of face (some dark areas and some light) that looks "manipulated" (in post processing) and the contrast (difference) in texture from skin on face and around the eyes.

I used it as a simile, and could have written "like a hockey mask." (Think of the "hockey mask killers" so common in horror movies.)

Obviously, I don't think she is wearing a hockey mask.

The "simile" is to make the point that the face appears as if it has a mask on it (though obviously this is a subtle mask).

The "mask" in this case comes from post-processing.

I hope that helps you and others.

May 26, 2014 at 03:20 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The gaze

Other than the critique of the post processing, I happen to like the "look" (expression), the "pretty model" and the use of the garment/costume.

I just think the post processing is overdone.

May 26, 2014 at 03:21 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The gaze

Steady Hand wrote:
I used it as a simile, and could have written "like a hockey mask." (Think of the "hockey mask killers" so common in horror movies.)

Thanks for elaborating.

I so look forward to that nightmare.

May 26, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The gaze

nolaguy wrote:
Thanks for elaborating.

I so look forward to that nightmare.

May 26, 2014 at 04:09 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The gaze

Intense look and processing. Personally, I think her skin "looks over-processed" when compared to the sharpness of the costume fabric/lace. If the costume was softer, it'd be less noticable. Still and all, loving it.

May 26, 2014 at 08:05 PM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The gaze

nolaguy wrote:
Or "The Glare"

In any case, stunning photo, lighting and processing. Pristine.

Regards,

Chuck

This^^

May 27, 2014 at 12:20 AM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The gaze

Wow, it has been a long day for me…just got back online and saw your feedbacks.
Thanks Chuck and Steady for your comments which I respect and think are both valid. I often make sure that there is enough skin texture left when I do skin smoothing, but in this case, I did push the post processing close to the edge. Glad to know that you like the facial expression/the look and the use of garment!
Thanks again for your helpful feedback.

Henry

May 27, 2014 at 01:25 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The gaze

I feel sorry for the person who is the object of that glare. Somebody is in trouble.

May 27, 2014 at 09:52 AM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The gaze

Wildcats_Fans wrote:
I feel sorry for the person who is the object of that glare. Somebody is in trouble.

May 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.