New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

flyfishertoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

I recently bought a Mk III and since I have been using it I have noticed that when I get close enough to take photos of smaller birds, they seem to be startled, a few to point where they fly off, by the noise of the mirror.

Is that something common? I don't recall ever seeing that with my 40D.

May 26, 2014 at 05:52 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

You can quieten the shutter - but is your problem specifically the mirror?

May 26, 2014 at 06:07 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

The Mark III is bigger than the 40D; hence more noticeable. The 1D3 is heavier than the 40D; hence you may be moving it differently. Are you shooting in continuous mode? The frame rate is faster; hence noisier. The 40D mirror is smaller; hence the 1D3 mirror has more mass and the shutter is bigger too with more mass also.

May 26, 2014 at 09:20 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

Maybe you need a longer lens? Does the 1D3 have a silent drive mode? Said mode on my 6D/70D is extremely quiet albeit a notch slower.

May 26, 2014 at 01:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

The 1DIII does have silent single shooting, but it's nothing like the 6D, which is very quiet, and also is a 'soft' sound. The 6D silent is noticeably softer that even my E-X2, but not as good as the leaf shutter on an X100/X100s, which is virtually silent.

May 26, 2014 at 01:41 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

I have the 1DMKIII and a 40D. Yes the shutter firing is noticeably louder than the 40D. However it often catches the attention of the birds and they look at you so get used to doing a 2-3 shot burst

The 6D is almost silent, which seems so odd when you are used to a 1DMKIII

Karl

May 26, 2014 at 06:43 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

Live-view is pretty quiet with no mirror slap. Wrapping a towel around the lens right in front of the body helps also.

May 26, 2014 at 06:46 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

Monito wrote:
The Mark III is bigger than the 40D; hence more noticeable. The 1D3 is heavier than the 40D; hence you may be moving it differently. Are you shooting in continuous mode? The frame rate is faster; hence noisier. The 40D mirror is smaller; hence the 1D3 mirror has more mass and the shutter is bigger too with more mass also.

I am in continuous mode, but not the high speed more. I don't believe that I am handling the Mk III differently, it is just noticeably louder.

May 26, 2014 at 08:31 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

Karl Witt wrote:
I have the 1DMKIII and a 40D. Yes the shutter firing is noticeably louder than the 40D. However it often catches the attention of the birds and they look at you so get used to doing a 2-3 shot burst

The 6D is almost silent, which seems so odd when you are used to a 1DMKIII

Karl

They look, but they are often startled and as I said in my post, occasionally fly away.

May 26, 2014 at 08:33 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

Andrew J wrote:
Live-view is pretty quiet with no mirror slap. Wrapping a towel around the lens right in front of the body helps also.

I doubt I will be doing either of these. I use live-view for macro, when used on a tripod, but never not when hand-held and for birds/wildlife. And wrapping a towel around the lens, doesn't seem like it would be easy to do.

May 26, 2014 at 08:35 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D Mk III mirror noise

Thanks for the replies. I knew about the "silent mode" and have played with it a little. Maybe I will try it again.

The noise is not a big issue, I had just never experienced it with my 40D and wondered if others had notice the reaction of wildlife, particularly with smaller birds.

May 26, 2014 at 08:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.