New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Made a deal with one of the sellers that had 20 great feedback ratings. He knew when he made the deal for me to purchase the two Canon 600ex-rt flashes that we would get together shortly. Instead of waiting as agreed, I get an email 5 days after we made the agreement that he sold them. Sorry, was all I got from him.

I didn't even get a chance to change the terms to get him the cash sooner.

Just because someone has 20 great transactions, doesn't make them a reliable person to make a deal with. If you don't like the terms at the time of the deal, don't agree. Time to move on and find another deal.....

Don't PM asking who it was....I said my peace to that person.....just beware.

Ok, I feel better!

May 25, 2014 at 09:37 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Maybe you should post this in the B&S forum...you might get a bit more sympathy.

May 25, 2014 at 09:57 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

yea and then there is the fact that every Leica R lens i put up had ppl pm-ing me thinking they were M lenses....

May 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Did you agree to a specified amount of time to complete the deal? It would be wise to do so.
Certainly 5 days seems like a reasonable amount of time unless there was a more specific
agreement. He should have at least contacted you before selling to someone else.

May 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

He said sorry and didn't cheat you. That's far, far from the worst buy/sell experience of which I've heard.

Frustrating sure - but unless he specifically said he would hold them for you, not entirely sympathetic either.

May 26, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Herb wrote:
Don't PM asking who it was....I said my peace to that person.....just beware.

Ok, I feel better!

wasnt difficult to find out . 2 clicks thru your posts gave me the answer .

By the way that was very bad on the sellers part

May 26, 2014 at 01:10 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

things happen. some times frustrating. there should have been better communications. I have only sold a couple of times on the board, but bought a lot there, and sold on craigslist. I have found that a lot of times. I dont know the details of it, but I can see it from his perspective also, though I understand why you are frustrated.
2 years ago, I saw a 17-40 on sale. PMed seller I will take it, no haggling. Seller said great. I asked for her paypal address, she sent it me. I was at work Within 20 minutes I came back to computer, sent her the money, and received a pm, she is refunding my money, b/c she did not here back from me, and there was a lot of interest and someone paid immediately. Go figure.

May 26, 2014 at 01:31 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

I don't see a problem here ... the first person to close a deal gets the item.

May 26, 2014 at 01:31 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

I don't see it quite that way. Within FM, the virtual handshake is the close of the deal.

There's time and hassle involved on both ends putting a purchase to bed. Assuming crystal clear communication on the item, condition, price, origin, terms, and progression of things, the concept of first come, first served should not interfere with a gentleman's agreement and handshake.

What the seller and potential buyer agreed upon should be the bottom line.

May 26, 2014 at 04:49 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
wasnt difficult to find out . 2 clicks thru your posts gave me the answer .

By the way that was very bad on the sellers part

I looked too: Sellers posts shown for the last year are ALL Buy and Sell.

Herb is active in threads all over FM.

Two different cultures.

The MINIMUM Courtesy should have been a PM "Are we still on with the 600's?"

Southern version would be " Herb, Everybody OK?"

May 26, 2014 at 05:04 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

I have had people back out on me before. For example, I posted a WTB ad for a Wonderpana filter kit for my 14-24. A guy responded and said he has one he wants to sell, and states a price. I ask him about the condition of the filter, and he disappears. A week later, he says he was sick and couldn't check the condition, but still wants to sell. ind you the guy has 100+ feedback, all 100%. He then changes his mind a few days later about not wanting to sell.

I didn't leave him bad or neutral feedback, but it does suck when this stuff happens.

May 28, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

How about buyers that claim to be getting funds together when in fact they are putting you on hold while checking out a better deal elsewhere. Or they decide to get something else that they discover that they want more than your product?

May 28, 2014 at 04:47 PM
eggcellent
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Savas K wrote:
How about buyers that claim to be getting funds together when in fact they are putting you on hold while checking out a better deal elsewhere. Or they decide to get something else that they discover that they want more than your product?

These buyer bailed on me last minute because they want to pay less for my items. First come, First serve like on Ebay.

May 28, 2014 at 05:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Dustin Gent wrote:
I have had people back out on me before...

I had somebody back out after I shipped the lens from Canada to the US, where the "buyer" lives. He refused to pay the local sales tax and import handling fee that I warned him about, and back it came. I figure he got cold feet. I sent him a full refund and that's that last time I sold something on FM. It was an EF 300/2.8L IS in mint condition. A high-value fail.

I didn't leave any feedback. No sense messing up my own front yard.

May 28, 2014 at 05:41 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

I'd guess the "buyer backs out" is a far more common case than the "seller backs out." Pretty much every sale I make on here, I get the "I'll take it!" PM, reply with my PayPal info and hear crickets chirping... or some sob story about how their car just blew up and they don't have the cash anymore... or something else. That's why my personal policy (clearly stated when someone PMs "I'll take it") is that first one with the cash in my PP account gets the item.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

May 29, 2014 at 09:15 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

Indeed it does, jbregar

May 29, 2014 at 02:14 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

And you gotta love the buyer that PM's an offer which is acceptable. Then they reply, OK, I'll consider that new price and get back to you' (hey dumbass, it's not a new price it's an offer from you I accepted!)

May 30, 2014 at 09:14 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

jbregar wrote:
I'd guess the "buyer backs out" is a far more common case than the "seller backs out." Pretty much every sale I make on here, I get the "I'll take it!" PM, reply with my PayPal info and hear crickets chirping... or some sob story about how their car just blew up and they don't have the cash anymore... or something else. That's why my personal policy (clearly stated when someone PMs "I'll take it") is that first one with the cash in my PP account gets the item.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

Hard to blame the seller in this case... after 5 days and no payment from the first "buyer", I too would probably be inclined sell to the first person serious enough to send payment.

As someone else said, you didn't spend a penny and you got an apology - hardly the worst outcome I've read about on these boards.

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:29 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

jcolwell wrote:
I had somebody back out after I shipped the lens from Canada to the US, where the "buyer" lives. He refused to pay the local sales tax and import handling fee that I warned him about, and back it came. I figure he got cold feet. I sent him a full refund and that's that last time I sold something on FM. It was an EF 300/2.8L IS in mint condition. A high-value fail.

I didn't leave any feedback. No sense messing up my own front yard.

After some similar experiences recently, I no longer ship to the USA. Nothing like having to pay duty and taxes on your own gear because someone gets buyers remorse but doesn't know how to fill out a Customs form...

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:33 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Venting.....buy/sell forum

unclechuck wrote:
I looked too: Sellers posts shown for the last year are ALL Buy and Sell.

Herb is active in threads all over FM.

Two different cultures.

The MINIMUM Courtesy should have been a PM "Are we still on with the 600's?"

Southern version would be " Herb, Everybody OK?"

Courtesy, kindness, respect and mutual business ethics has become a lost art on B/S the past few years. At least with the newer members.

And it also present on the "regular" forums. A poster askes for help, info, questions about anything and you never receive a response as to whether any of the reponses were relevant!
And it affects even the oldest of members. Communication has become a lost art of late.

"UC" has it correct.

Ok to vent Herb.
Dan

Edited on Jun 11, 2014 at 07:43 AM · View previous versions

Jun 02, 2014 at 10:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.