Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Focus stacking device / remote?

mattschwartz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Someone told me of a remote control device that you plug into your camera via USB, which can control the camera AF to automatically shoot focus stack sequences. He could not remember what it was called or any other details about it. I'm hoping someone can point me to it, as some google searching has not led me to anything that seems to be what he talked about.

The important point is that it was a portable remote control that plugs into the camera and does NOT require a computer or phone, etc. I need this for working in the field on nature photos, and do not have a laptop to run any software for focus stacking (e.g. Helicon Remote, which I use at home on my PC and is awesome). Thanks for any help

May 25, 2014 at 02:56 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus stacking device / remote?

like this? http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php

May 25, 2014 at 09:09 AM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Hi,

If your phone/tablet has a usb host port option (or you want to hook up to your camera wirelessly using an openwrt server), the android app dslr dashboard has support for focus based image stacking. Note that I haven't tried it (yet) so I can't comment on how well it works, but...

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

May 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM
mattschwartz

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Thank you both for your help and suggestions. The cognisys kit is something I looked at already...I was looking for something that just controls the camera AF only, to change the focus plane by minute increments just by communicating with the AF. The cognisys kit works by an entire system with motorized macro rail. While it is very nice, it is too expensive for my budget right now. I did read through their site, and checked out the store items. I might email them and ask if just the controller portion could work for what I want and if so how much it would cost for just that item. The tutorials on their site are helpful as well.

I have an iphone, and to my knowledge there is nothing available which will do what I want (none of the apps I found do precisely the needed function, nor can I find a way that the iphone will allow you to connect the phone to the usb of the camera and actually work)

I'll keep looking and reading. Maybe one day I will pickup the whole cognisys kit with all required equipment for what I'd need ($800+)

Thanks guys

May 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focus stacking device / remote?

matt - camranger.com provides wireless touch focus control of camera for apple ios. a quick read indicates focus stacking is possible.

should you locate any cheaper alternatives, please shoot me a pm. thanks.

tom

May 25, 2014 at 01:10 PM
mattschwartz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Tom, thanks, this is awesome! It's the closest thing I've seen to what I'm looking for. Kind of pricey, but it may be the best option. I'll keep looking around a bit, but this is on top of my list and may be what I go with. Thanks a lot!

May 25, 2014 at 01:41 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Check out promote control. It does what you are looking for and more.

http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html

May 25, 2014 at 02:29 PM
mattschwartz

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focus stacking device / remote?

JameelH wrote:
Check out promote control. It does what you are looking for and more.

http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html

Thanks! This indeed is exactly what I was looking for! It has some competition with the camranger though, in terms of some of the camranger's features. I'll have to research them both more.

Thanks everybody!!

May 25, 2014 at 03:35 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Focus stacking device / remote?

That remote looks alright. I thought that using a rail was required rather than changing focus point when doing macro stuff?

Every time I have tried it manually changing focus I get artifacts/bad blending.

May 25, 2014 at 03:40 PM
mattschwartz

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Focus stacking device / remote?

MikeW wrote:
That remote looks alright. I thought that using a rail was required rather than changing focus point when doing macro stuff?

Every time I have tried it manually changing focus I get artifacts/bad blending.

Mike, I have done some research on the two methods. Each method has its advantages and drawbacks, and best situations to be used in based on those pros and cons.

In any case, most stacking software like Helicon Focus has lots of settings you can change and experiment with. Also, they adjust for magnification and perspective changes in each shot (which may or may not be present, depending on the capture method used between the options you are referring to) Consider also that manual focus changes on the focusing ring (vs precise macro rail movements) are less likely to be evenly spaced, and have a higher chance of moving the alignment of the shot off in various directions (which can still be corrected by the software, but the less it has to do, the better the results will be)

I've found that the software settings have more effect on the result than the method of capturing the stack images. Just my own findings, may or may not really be accurate or true for everyone.

May 25, 2014 at 04:45 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Focus stacking device / remote?

I've done a bit of work with focus stacking Flowers using Helicon Focus/Remote. Excellent software, but a bit pricey. I also use my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) and the DSLR Controller app to do the image acquisition (cheap) and Helicon Focus to stack the images. Software is key to getting a good stacked image.

May 25, 2014 at 06:25 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Instead of buying a pricey remote, can't you just use Magic Lantern firmware?

May 26, 2014 at 01:43 AM
mattschwartz

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Focus stacking device / remote?

surf monkey wrote:
Instead of buying a pricey remote, can't you just use Magic Lantern firmware?

1. I didn't know about Magic Lantern until you mentioned it
2. I'll have to look into it more before I trust it (I skimmed the site but would need to research and read more carefully)
3. The camranger and associated app have a multitude of other features and advantages that I would like to have, which makes it worth the cost

Thanks for pointing out the Magic Lantern thing. Looks interesting!

May 26, 2014 at 02:10 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Focus stacking device / remote?

In the wireless control setup I am selling, the app that goes along with the Nexus tablet and wireless controller has focus stacking, it seems. I haven't yet tried it.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1297521/0#12378143 -> DSLRController is the app that is the final piece of this kit, you might want to see if that does what you want.

May 29, 2014 at 06:33 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Focus stacking device / remote?

I'm curious as to what are you shooting stacks of?

May 29, 2014 at 07:52 PM
mattschwartz

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Focus stacking device / remote?

philshoots wrote:
I'm curious as to what are you shooting stacks of?

Subjects will vary depending on whatever I find, but primarily stacking will be used for anything small with fine detail which would be degraded by diffraction (minute flowers, insects, etc..yes, people do focus stack live insects when the subject is willing). Also, subjects where I want more DOF but I don't want a small fstop to introduce bg distractions. Will probably even end up using stacking on some landscapes at some point. Various other situations, and it will all be a case by case basis. Many times I will probably determine that stacking isn't needed.

May 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Good, thanks for your note. I shoot a bit of bug too but go the manual route with a Newport Roller Bearing Stage. It's very smooth and can be adjusted in microns. When shooting little guys like the face of a mosquito you need the precision for big stacks- think of it as a micrometer driven focusing slider. You can find them on ebay and get a deal, they pop up used. Newport is like a candy store for peeps like us - they have motion control goodies too, linked below. I'm not sure you'll find something this precise that will allow you to use AF. If you do please share what you discover. Good luck with your projects.

Phil

http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=462-X-M

Edited on Jul 04, 2014 at 08:05 AM · View previous versions

May 30, 2014 at 06:44 PM
mattschwartz

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Focus stacking device / remote?

Phil, thanks for the info. Nice photo, too. I agree with you, I doubt AF control for stacks such as your mosquito would be precise enough. I won't be needing anything quite that precise (wow that roller thing is expensive too!) but in the future if I do, I have a starting point for my research.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded to my question.

FYI, I have purchased a camranger.

May 30, 2014 at 09:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.