FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Mountain Running

VanIsle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mountain Running

When I go trail running, I almost always take my Canon S120 (and previously S90). Due to the frequency of my trail outings, it allows me the unique opportunity of sometimes lucking out on rare lighting conditions and unique sunrise/sunsets that I otherwise couldn't predict or plan ahead with hiking in a DSLR/tripod etc.

Often I am with friends, and on a run where we all have busy days ahead. In other words, I sometimes make sub optimal technical choices, because I can only stop for a dozen seconds or so, and am rushed to capture a moment. I can't expect my buddies to wait around for a few minutes where I pretend to be an artist

My tendency is to favour handhold-ability (often while winded from climbing a mountain ) at the expense of ISO. Noise is certainly the biggest technical flaw in my captures with the S120, and I need to learn to take the extra couple seconds and check where I can improve noise by reducing tv (or less often av). I always shoot raw. I carry the camera in a ziploc bag in a hip belt. Through years of using these two cameras, they hold up well to getting bumped around and some level of wetness.

In these cases I am always willing to trade-off quality versus opportunity. I just have to get better at both the artistic composition, as well as squeezing the most usable ISO etc from the situation given the constraints. It is a slightly different type of photography from the usually more meticulous approach to landscape photos.

Comments welcome.

Cheers, Jeremy

1 - Typical Vancouver Island fog and mist

2 - Kinney Lake - Mt Robson Provincial Park

3 - Full Moon

4 - Full Moon 2

5 - Strathcona Provincial Park

May 24, 2014 at 03:27 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mountain Running

Too many for my comments. I like some, others not so much.

May 25, 2014 at 09:02 AM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mountain Running

8 and 9 are my favorites. Some cool stuff. Vancouver Island is a beautiful place. We did an Orca whale boat tour from Cowichan Bay that was unforgettable!

May 25, 2014 at 09:28 AM
BauerPower
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mountain Running

You pulled some very nice shots out of that little camera. Did you use a tripod or a monopod for support?

May 25, 2014 at 09:46 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mountain Running

I don't know what the regulations of this forum are any more!!
Maybe they apply only to me.

May 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM
VanIsle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mountain Running

Thanks for the comments. This forum is a tough crowd :-) So many wildly talented people it's tough to impress!

Bauer - these are all handheld as I'm running with my camera so no practicality in carrying a tripod - hence the noisy images.

Kee Woo Rhee - I don't understand your comment. Did I violate a forum policy? My apologies if so.
I made sure the images were 850 pixels max.

May 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mountain Running

VanIsle wrote:
Kee Woo Rhee - I don't understand your comment. Did I violate a forum policy? My apologies if so.
I made sure the images were 850 pixels max.

Sorry about my comments which were not related to the images you posted. I think your images are really nice. I sincerely appreciate your sharing your wonderful images with others!! . You don't need to apologize to me at all. I don't want to comment on whatever the regulations on this forum, which I also find them quite strange when I look at other forums. However I am not the one running this forum, so I will just follow their regulations.

Have a great Memorial weekend!

Kee

May 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mountain Running

No. 1,6,11 are my favorites. They are all great considering the situation under which they were taken. Just goes to show any camera with you takes much better photos than the camera left behind sitting on the shelf.

May 25, 2014 at 05:42 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mountain Running

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
I don't know what the regulations of this forum are any more!!
Maybe they apply only to me.

Kee.... you really should stop feeling sorry for yourself. The pity party you have each time you feel like someone on this forum is getting away with something is rather childish.

Perhaps you haven't considered that Fred and I have a life outside of this forum? We are not watching every single thread every second. For example I was at Disneyland all day yesterday with my Grandkids.

What you should do is focus on yourself, and stop worrying if anyone else is getting away with breaking a forum rule. We will take care of the situation just fine without your comments.

Thanks,

Jim

May 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mountain Running

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
I don't want to comment on whatever the regulations on this forum, which I also find them quite strange when I look at other forums. However I am not the one running this forum, so I will just follow their regulations.

Kee

Kee, if you don't want to comment on our forum guidelines, then why did you?

And you do understand that no one is forcing you to post in the Landscape forum? If you find our guidelines so strange, there are lot's of other photography forums to choose from that you can post in. That way you are not causing yourself such aggravation by being here in the Landscape Forum.

Thanks,

Jim

May 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mountain Running

Hey Jeremy,

#1 and 5 are my favorites in regards to the composition. But almost all of them have solid compositions and looks. But it is a shame to see your photos so limited in terms of IQ by your using such a small camera. I have trail ran for years, and I will carry a D7100 with an 18-200mm on it. So you don't have to carry such a small camera, what's one more pound in gear? It just makes for a better workout...

But if small is what you really want, I would think that there are some small mirrorless options that use a DX sensor for better quality. And toss in a Gorilla Pod and you are set.

You have a great eye for photography, I hope you consider some better options so that you can present your vision in their best light.

Jim

May 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mountain Running

I really like the first one, it has excellent mood, a good composition, and elicits some sort of emotional response in me. Therefore I think it's already better than 90% of the stuff you see on here that has been taken with a full frame SLR and a $3,000 lens.

That said I agree with Jim, these days there are loads of options that are just as small that won't sacrifice on quality much. Heck the Canon M with 22mm is tiny and has great IQ. It would be a great trail running camera.

May 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mountain Running

I didn't come to this thread to read what you said about my "feelings" or "childish" comments, Jim.

I have a suggestion here so that you or Fred do not have to keep watching things if there are any violations made against this forum's rules or guidelines.

My suggestion is to make some kind of automatic setup so any one who post more than 5 images as supposed in the guide line cannot post, and whoever post another posting within 24 hours period as set in the guideline cannot do so until 24 hours are up. Simple as that will leave you free from so much burden.

Since I was so hurt when you used so rough words especially using private message (pm), I still have difficult time forgetting those words and move on. I am sure time will heel.

I will post my images wherever I think are suitable. You don't have to worry about that.

Have a great Memorial Day!

May 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mountain Running

Oh misty BC, how I miss thee. #1 and 2 are great.

May 26, 2014 at 01:03 PM
VanIsle
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mountain Running

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My post originally had 12 images, however 7 were removed because I was unaware of the forum rules, so my apologies.

Regarding choosing a camera in a small size with better IQ; One nice thing as I mentioned about the S120 is that it has handled light rain and a lot of bumps and bruises. Given its price, if it ever does break, I won't lose too much sleep over it. It is awesome that it just fits in my hip pouch. A DSLR would be too much to want to bring on my casual runs (I tend to run 6 days a week and a few thousand miles a year). I'll check out the Canon M, but I suspect its price would be higher, and I do like having a zoom lens. My 6D with 24-105 would be perfect if I could just make it fit in my S120

May 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM
pgdavis2
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mountain Running

Nice pics thanks for sharing. I appreciate your trail running dilemma. I think your camera choice is sound. Rock on.

May 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.