New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Repair 5D Classic?

CorwinGraves
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Repair 5D Classic?

Hello all -

I bought a used 5D classic on these forums about 3 years ago and it's been a fine camera, but it's developed a couple of issues. First, the LCD will periodically become distorted after taking a shot and is corrected by giving the camera body a good bump or jolt to the side. It's as if there is a loose connection somewhere. The second issue is that the camera will read that the battery level is low even with fresh batteries. I've tried many different batteries and the issue still occurs.

Anyhow, I'm curious how much repairs might run if I were to send the body into Canon, assuming they even service these older bodies. The alternative I'm looking at is to purchase a refurb 5D II or III. I suppose I could send the 5D body in for credit through the loyalty program, or I could send in one of my old film Rebels and sell the 5D on Ebay with full disclosure on its issues.

Appreciate your thoughts on my dilemma. The camera still produces wonderful images when it's working, but it seems to be working less and less these days.

May 24, 2014 at 02:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Repair 5D Classic?

Why don't you just take it to a camera repair shop and get an estimate?

You probably won't get much for it on eBay. But if you can afford to buy a refurb 5D3, you could just junk the 5D and buy a refurb 5D2.

May 24, 2014 at 06:18 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Repair 5D Classic?

Had a similar problem with the batteries on my 5D. Battery would show full, then a couple of shots later it was too low to use. Replaced the batteries with new ones, no more issues. Try a new battery.

Take it to a local shop and get an estimate. A decent price on a replacement is in the $500-$700 range so judge the repair price accordingly. The 5D still produces some of the finest images out there.

May 24, 2014 at 09:42 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Repair 5D Classic?

Thanks, all. Will try to some new batteries and get an estimate for the LCD. I do love the images that this camera can produce, so will try to salvage it.

May 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Repair 5D Classic?

Wobble wrote:
Had a similar problem with the batteries on my 5D. Battery would show full, then a couple of shots later it was too low to use. Replaced the batteries with new ones, no more issues. Try a new battery.

Take it to a local shop and get an estimate. A decent price on a replacement is in the $500-$700 range so judge the repair price accordingly. The 5D still produces some of the finest images out there.

I've seen them running under $500 of late.

I'd take the camera to a local repair shop and get an estimate. Might be less than you think.

May 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Repair 5D Classic?

I'll second the others, get the information from a professional repair shop. Then you will be armed with the knowledge that lets you make the best decision.

May 25, 2014 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.