New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

supermarvin76
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

I don't know I'd this is where this post should be.

I usually don't post "which gear should I buy" threads and am really not a fan of them, but I am torn. I have about $1,000 or less to spend and am looking used.

Looking at a used X-Pro 1 and Fuji 35mm 1.4.

OR

A Canon 35mm f/1.4 L.

I shoot a 5D Mark II now and have a 135, and 17-40.

I am intrigued by the Fuji for something a bit smaller, but like the Canon 35 because, we'll, it's awesome.

I simply dunno...... I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Edited on May 24, 2014 at 01:09 PM · View previous versions

May 24, 2014 at 01:03 PM
ceder
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

You mean the Fujinon 23/1.4? One of the best lenses I have ever own! Try it out...

May 24, 2014 at 01:09 PM
Nyc.nick

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

The x100s would be great for covering the 35mm range. You can buy used here on the forum for about 1k. It's small and very capable. I have an rx100 but have been thinking about going this route for the better IQ.

May 24, 2014 at 01:13 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

My vote would be the Xpro, which I just so happen to be selling on the B&S for $575 w/ lensmate thumb grip

I'm biased of course, but it really is a nice camera and works great with all the Fuji X lenses from 21-60mm with the optical finder, and any of them with the EVF

Just has a much more comfortable body than the X100 to me, and the larger 3" screen is nicer, the rear buttons are nice and big etc.

May 24, 2014 at 01:19 PM
kuyars

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

How about getting everything? Maybe this is debatable, but the Sigma 35 1.4 Art lens is pretty much as good as, or better than the Canon 35L and significantly cheaper.

Sigma 35 1.4 for your canon setup + the Xpro1 rig

Edited on May 24, 2014 at 03:12 PM · View previous versions

May 24, 2014 at 01:34 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

kuyars wrote:
How about getting everything? Maybe this is debatable, but the Sigma 35 1.4 Art lens is pretty much as good as, or better than the Canon 35L and significantly cheaper.

Sigma 35 1.4 for your canon setup + the Xpro1 rig

Unless you plan on taking photos with AF in low light, and then only the 35L will be there for you reliably. I love my 35L, it is my most used lens. It pairs wonderfully with a 135 but stands alone stupendously as a great all around lens and focal length. It has a rendering unlike any other Canon lens I own and a certain appeal to the images that I just don't think the sigma lens stands anywhere close to. I know a few others on this forum who have agreed with me.

I do not have any experience with the fuji systems but recently thought long and hard about picking up an x100 for $500 here on FM. My biggest concern was that 1) you aren't going to get any shallow depth of field shots unless you are stupendously close to your subject with a 24mm f/2 lens (the FF focal length of the lens on the x100 and x100s) which severely limits the types of photography that it works for compared to a true 35/1.4. 2) I honestly don't know of a situation where I would want to have a camera but not have my 5D with me. The size is great but here in Texas that x100 isn't going to fit in my shorts pocket so I would still have to haul a case around with my or a shoulder strap, which makes it just as bothersome to bring around as a FF SLR to me.

This is all my very opinionated view and of course may have no bearing on your situation but thats where I stand currently. I just spent the money I otherwise would have spent on an X100 or A7 on upgrading my 5D2 to a 5D3.

May 24, 2014 at 05:10 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

supermarvin76 wrote:
I am intrigued by the Fuji for something a bit smaller, but like the Canon 35 because, well, it's awesome.

What's the reason you're looking to buy more kit in the first place?

They're both great tools and neither will inherently restrict your ability to make great photos. You can't make a "wrong" choice here. On the other hand, neither are perfectly suited for all types of photo taking.

Do you want something small, light, and discreet? Do you like the idea of being able to see around the image frame? Do you want to maximize depth of field when shooting in low light? Do you want a secondary/backup body? The X-Pro1 & 35mm might be for you.

Do you wish your 17-40 had a faster aperture toward the long end? Do you like being able to see precisely what is in the frame, including DOF preview? Do you like shallow depth of field in wide angle photos? Do you want to keep all your kit in the same system? The Canon 35L might be for you.

The Canon 35L will probably hold onto its value better, as digital cameras tend to depreciate quickly. On the other hand, unless Fuji releases an X-Pro2, the old X-Pro1 will maintain value due to its hybrid viewfinder. The Canon is probably better for mainstream reportage, but I'd prefer the Fuji for most people photos because folks don't react as strongly to the smaller, friendlier camera. The Canon is probably better in dust and rain. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I know I asked more questions than I answered, but I don't think you told us enough about what you want for anyone to give you a decent answer. :-)

Cheers,
Jon

May 24, 2014 at 05:53 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

I shot with a CLS borrow of the Canon 35L and while it was "okay", I dunno, it really didn't knock my socks off. Maybe the copy was bad (I tried micro adjust several times but it was merely "okay", sharp stopped down though).

You do realize, though, the 35/1.4 on the Fuji is going to be like a ~52mm FOV on full frame, right? Just making sure here.

That said, I like the Fuji 35mm better than the Canon 35L, even though they're different lenses.

Also, be careful - after trying a good mirrorless setup, you might end up selling your DSLR

May 24, 2014 at 06:05 PM
kuyars

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

I realize that my Sigma 35 1.4 would stir up some debate, but I think it's a real option for the OP.

Just as your opinion about the Sigma having worse AF in low light and the Canon having better rendering, there are forums and reviews that state the opposite. Better rendering is highly subjective, which is fine of course, but even a quick google search for Canon 35L vs Sigma 35 shows the Sigma is measurably sharper wide open, sharper in the corners at all apertures, and maaaybe has better bokeh (9 blades vs 8). Whether or not this equates to better rendering is a whole other thing. Regarding the AF, using the same google search above, it seems all over the place: some say Canon is faster, some say Sigma is faster, some say there's no difference, etc. So it's hard to judge.

All opinions aside, the point is that the Canon 35L is not quite "untouchable" as it used to be, considering the incredible performance of the Sigma 35 and at a price point that may allow for the OP for some flexibility in his decision. Or at the very least, several hundred left over in his pocket!

kezeka wrote:
Unless you plan on taking photos with AF in low light, and then only the 35L will be there for you reliably. I love my 35L, it is my most used lens. It pairs wonderfully with a 135 but stands alone stupendously as a great all around lens and focal length. It has a rendering unlike any other Canon lens I own and a certain appeal to the images that I just don't think the sigma lens stands anywhere close to. I know a few others on this forum who have agreed with me.

May 24, 2014 at 06:55 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

I always loved the 35L for its 3D rendering. After trying a few 35/1.4's over the years my 5D2 champ became the Contax 35/1.4. But the 35L remains a favorite though oddly, I never got to own one.

Anyways, to get it smaller, I went the Sony A7 route and sold the 5D2 early this year. After a couple of month with the A7 I realized I would not use it anymore. Incidentally I did also sell another Canon favorite of mine, the 17-40L.

I would not go for a smaller sensor.

May 26, 2014 at 02:30 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

The output is really close for both. Here is a comparison that I did months ago, now redone with PN as a RAW converter. Both shot on a tripod at optimal aperture for either lens, converted in PN, Fuji file resized to compare with the 5DII. I think the output is nearly identical, with the clear edge in DN going to the X-E2. I did a lot of other comp shots and in the end sold both 5DIIs.

Edit - on the left hand side, middle, notice the difference in how each sensor handles the shadows.

Hmmm....Fred seems to have been editing in this thread. For posterity's sake this post was in response to a comparison of the 5DII and xtrans output.

5DII 50mm @ f8

X-E2 18-55mm @ ~35mm f/5.6

Edited on May 26, 2014 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2014 at 03:14 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-Pro 1 or 35L?

Gunzorro wrote:
But how can you know for sure without doing direct A-B test shots of a sufficient variety to prove one way or another? I've been partial to one lens or body on a number of occasions, only to find I prefer another one when directly compared for features and imaging. It seems only sensible to test, otherwise one's conclusions can be strongly affected by pure opinion and speculation.

And -- OUCH! -- People shouldn't tone-map when angry. Over-wrought photo drama.

I think you missed the point. He wanted any old shots from the old 5DII to prove some kind of point, not examples of photo prowess. His example was a shot of box!

Unfortunately, I'm finding the over-wrought drama shots are what people want in large prints. Most purchasing decisions are based on whether colors in a print match the coach. Fine with me as long as their money is good.

Sal

May 26, 2014 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.