New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

I'm not saying that it's just the non-Africans. There are slavers of all races and ethnicities. There's still the underground sex trafficking happening all over the world as well (in first world countries such as America also!). And then those reports of organ farmers in China (and other countries)! If the world spent more time and money in effort to stop these acts instead of on politics, banter, and boundaries, I would be more hopeful for our future.

Nigerian government supposedly knows where the girls are being held, but are refraining from sharing the location out of concern for the well being of the girls (being that any armed action may result in the girls being harmed as well). Personally I think the world is a bit too lenient on certain types of crime, but that's my opinion.

I have yet to travel to Africa, but I hope to within the next 5 years. I personally don't view any of their cultures or practices as strange, only different. We grow up in different worlds and would have different views. And some of us grow up in luckier circumstances (with better health care, access to food and water, etc.) than others. It's a good thing that there are people venture and share photos because it educates those who are open-minded enough to want to learn and ask questions!

May 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

This is scary and intriguing at the same time. The only part that creeps me out a little is the tribe that eat corpses

May 27, 2014 at 01:13 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

Very good images. I'll have to go back to Ethiopia for the Volcano as I didn't have time to do it the last time I was there.

May 27, 2014 at 01:36 PM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

Wow..... great post!!!!

May 27, 2014 at 09:33 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

Excellent images and the accompanying back-stories made them that much more enjoyable. I hope that you find the time to post more from this area and others that you have been to.

May 27, 2014 at 09:59 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

I just noticed this from NatGeo...

http://yourshotblog.nationalgeographic.com/post/87205999389/spotlight-bjorn-persson-sweden#.U4qXUJRdWKs?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fbp201461bjorn&utm_campaign=Content

Jun 02, 2014 at 02:57 PM
LFLee

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

refreshing. glad to see less-photographed locations.

Jun 02, 2014 at 04:22 PM
Bewithabob

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

thank you for sharing this journey and the story with these images

Jun 04, 2014 at 12:49 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

Thank you for sharing the images. I really enjoyed looking through them. I had the good fortune of seeing Lucy in person when she visited the United States some years ago. It was an experience that is hard to describe with words.

Just a small correction; Lucy is estimated to have lived about 3.2 million years ago, not 4.5. She may or may not have been a direct ancestor of our species, but is almost certainly very closely related to our family tree. Also, Lucy is not the most complete hominid fossil we have uncovered; that would be Ardi, going back about 4.5 million years and also discovered in what is today Ethiopia, if I remember correctly.

Jun 06, 2014 at 10:29 PM
roguedog

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

Another great series. Thank you. Keep em coming!

Jun 07, 2014 at 12:07 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

"Fresh cow dung are often rubbed over the body and face as a beauty aid."

Well at least this makes sense!

Jun 07, 2014 at 12:26 AM
thebiker
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

aubsxc wrote:
Thank you for sharing the images. I really enjoyed looking through them. I had the good fortune of seeing Lucy in person when she visited the United States some years ago. It was an experience that is hard to describe with words.

Just a small correction; Lucy is estimated to have lived about 3.2 million years ago, not 4.5. She may or may not have been a direct ancestor of our species, but is almost certainly very closely related to our family tree. Also, Lucy is not the most complete hominid fossil we have uncovered; that would be Ardi, going
...Show more

Thanks . You are right of course. Lucy, who was found in the Awash Valley of Ethiopia's Afar region in 1974, and she is about 3.3 million years old. Lucy's taxonomic name, Australopithecus Afarensis, means 'southern ape of Afar', and refers to the Ethiopian region where she was found, Although Lucy is better known, actually, the oldest upright-walking hominid fossil discovered to date in Ethiopia is the 4.2 million year old Ardipithicus Ramidus, or Ardi, found in 1994. In 1967 they found the remains of the Kibbish Man. He lived 195,000 years ago in the Omo valley near Kibbish in South Ethiopia, Kibbish Man is the oldest modern Homo Sapiens ever found thus far. He had DNA which was genetically similar to ours.

Jun 07, 2014 at 02:17 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

BostonGreg wrote:
"Fresh cow dung are often rubbed over the body and face as a beauty aid."

Well at least this makes sense!

!!

Jun 10, 2014 at 06:11 AM
croisenjc

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

amazing shots~!!

Jun 29, 2014 at 01:50 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

Fascinating and powerful images. The variety of cultures in the world is amazing though I am not sure every single traditional practise should necessarily be preserved

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:00 AM
flyrcairplanes

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

What a great post. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this. Really amazing pictures and stories

Jul 01, 2014 at 04:56 PM
crabcakes
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

What amazing shots, and stories! I appreciate your posting the history behind the photos! Well done. I felt like I read a National Geographic article, but more personal. Your passion shows in this series!

Jul 07, 2014 at 01:30 PM
thebiker
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

I revisited this post today. It has inspired me to write another article from my extensive travels. I'm sorry to say that my website, from where these photos were linked, was hacked and it has been down for a while. I shall try to relink the same original images from my Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/yusufhashim.digitalartist

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:40 AM
talfulano
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

Must have been a wonderful trip. Yes many of the images are missing for me.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:09 AM
Lilki
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Ethiopia - the Tree Where Man was born

I'm super bummed that I can't see any of your images- just a blue square with a question mark in the middle. Sounds like a fascinating series!

Jan 12, 2017 at 04:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.