p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

I want to buy a good 82mm UV filter for my new lenses. What is best choice

Carl Zeiss T* UV Filter (vs) B+W UV Filter

May 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

I use B+W UV and clear filters, when required (and only then, when required).

Most of my CPL filters are B+W MSR KSM, but I have a Zeiss CPL 82mm, which is very nice, very.

Long story, short; you can't go far wrong with either choice. The best choice is what you decide to buy.

May 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

For protective filters I use Hoya HD and pretty happy with them. Negligible effect on my pictures in controlled tests with several Zeiss lenses and I find them much easier to clean than B&W.

They're also pretty strong, if that matters to you.

May 25, 2014 at 03:08 PM
jliyn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

Recently i bought Carl Zeiss, it have nice build and made in japan but i haven't have time to test it against sun. My friend recommended this filter and said it better than B+W when handling flare.

May 30, 2014 at 03:34 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

I read somewhere that the Zeiss filters work better with their lens caps than B+W filters. I had been buying B+W but will try a Zeiss soon - need to get one for the Otus that will be arriving in a few days!

Jul 22, 2014 at 02:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

Abuttolph wrote:
I read somewhere that the Zeiss filters work better with their lens caps than B+W filters.

From personal experience I can say, that's not the case. They both work fine with appropriate lens caps.

OTOH, I read somewhere that I'm wrong.

Jul 22, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

jcolwell wrote: From personal experience I can say, that's not the case. They both work fine with appropriate lens caps.

That very well may be. I have not tried out a Zeiss filter yet, so don't have personal experience.

Jul 22, 2014 at 04:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

jcolwell wrote: From personal experience I can say, that's not the case. They both work fine with appropriate lens caps.

Abuttolph wrote:
That very well may be. I have not tried out a Zeiss filter yet, so don't have personal experience.

Fair enough. Two weeks from now, my "personal experience" will something you "read somewhere", anyway, eh?

Carry on.

Jul 22, 2014 at 07:36 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

I use B+W MRC filters and I think Heliopan filters are similar quality. Heliopans are expensive unfortunately - their distributor in this country likes to make a hefty markup.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:16 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

OK. I realize that I am exposing myself on a lot of fronts to criticism and perhaps ridicule but I have to ask:
Will maintaining the T* coatings throughout the optical path when using Zeiss lenses better preserve the Zeissiness of the resulting photos?

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

sandycrane: Will maintaining the T* coatings throughout the optical path when using Zeiss lenses better preserve the Zeissiness of the resulting photos?

An add-on to your question - would using a Zeiss filter with the T* coatings on a non-Zeiss lens add a bit of Zeissiness to photos? It would be interesting to compare a Zeiss and non-Zeiss filter on a non-Zeiss lens and see if there is any difference.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

sandycrane wrote:
OK. I realize that I am exposing myself on a lot of fronts to criticism and perhaps ridicule but I have to ask:
Will maintaining the T* coatings throughout the optical path when using Zeiss lenses better preserve the Zeissiness of the resulting photos?

I don't know, but I'd like a Leica filter... get it?

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

^ Don't bother, Leica filters are rubbish. Well actually they're not rubbish but they're mostly single coated and nowhere near a B+W. The rings are good on the old filters though. All Leica stuff is expensive, however some of it is less than stellar quality but it has L E I C A engraved on it so it costs.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

peter_n wrote:
^ Don't bother, Leica filters are rubbish...

It was a joke: like a, like-a, Leica...

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM
rlphoto444

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

I Like the B+W, especially with the MRC coating shedding water.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

Lens hood only for protection. No extra non-value-added glass in front of my lenses.

John

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:17 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

Neither.

Marumi for those times when blowing sand, dust and ocean spray are present. Another high quality filter manufactured in Japan.

Also good for certain L lenses allowing weather resistantance as recommended by Canon, (sealing the front lens element).

http://www.2filter.com/

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Hungle

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

I use B+W with nano coating and like it a lot

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

I have used both filters extensively and there are clear differences. Both are not perfect.

First, the color neutrality. Zeiss lenses have the same color as their lenses, slightly warm. B+W are slightly cyan.

Then, tendency to flare. Zeiss are amazing in this respect, no matter the light angle. B+W are excellent, until the light hits the filter at a steep angle (and no hood attached). The results can be catastrophic.

Finally scratch resistance. Zeiss filters are coated with T* coatings like the lenses. As mentioned, amazing for flare resistance, but quite prone to scratching. Frequent cleaning with a microfiber cloth will leave fatigue marks. B+W are probably the most scratch resistant of any filter brand available.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Carl Zeiss T* UV or B+W UV Filter

sandycrane wrote:

As I mentioned in my previous post, Zeiss filters will preserve the color balance and the flare resistance of the lenses.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.