New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

chris.bersbach
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

Most of the question is in the subject: I'm looking for the ideal bag (who isn't?) for a Fuji X-Pro1 (may switch to X-T1 eventually), two lenses (56 and either 14 or 35), and an X100. I'm pretty confident in the Think Tank Retrospective *series* being the right choice, but not sure whether I could cram both the X-Pro1 with lens mounted, a second lens, and the X100 into the Retro 5. I'm sure the 7 would be more than adequate, but I would like to pick the smallest *reasonable* bag for the job. Is there anyone out there that has owned, or at least tried, both? Or anyone using one of these bags for a similar kit? If so, I would really appreciate any thoughts or impressions from your experience. Thanks!

May 23, 2014 at 01:00 PM
jackperk
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

Not the same gear but I'm happy with my 5 for a LeicaM and four lenses. One mounted.

May 23, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

I had both the R5 and R7 in Pinestone and they're good looking, well made and pockets galore. I carried my Oly Pen and a couple lenses in the R5 with room to spare. The R7 is a huge bag in comparison and more suited for a DSLR--use it for an EOS 5D MKII with couple lenses and Speedlite. The padded iPad pocket makes the R7 fat and stiff compared to the R5 or R10.

The Retrospective 5 is ideal for a Micro 4/3 system and okay for a compact DSLR (no grip) with small mounted zoom or prime. Amazingly it gobbled up my 7D with mounted EF-s 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM and reversed hood. It was stuffed (flush with the top) but fit okay. It was easy to pull in and out. I could also squeeze in a small prime and Speedlite, e.g., 220EX or 430EX. Other than tiny knickknacks like filters, memory cards and my iPhone, that was pretty much it. I didn't find the 7D a comfortable ride in this bag as the camera is too heavy for the thin (1.5") strap.

Both bags are much heavier than average and only use 1.5" straps, so they tend to bite into your shoulder like an angry dog when fully loaded. The R5 is 2.5 LB and weighs more than the kit inside, defeating the motivation of using M43. I just sold it and use a Crumpler 4MDH and it's over 1.5LB lighter!

May 23, 2014 at 02:08 PM
chris.bersbach
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

Gochugogi wrote:
I just sold it and use a Crumpler 4MDH and it's over 1.5LB lighter!

Thanks for this tip. I previously had a Crumpler for my D700 kit, and really liked it, so perhaps I'll reconsider my dedication to the Think Tank. I'm a little embarassed to admit that one of the driving factors on the Retrospectives was the attractive look of the bags, but you hit the nail on the head w.r.t. why I sold my Nikon kit for a Fuji kit: reduced weight.

May 23, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

Haha, I bought the Retrospective mainly because it was handsome so I'm a sucker for looks! Just about any similar sized bag from Billingham, Domke, Crumpler, etc., is significantly lighter. But that's the price you pay for lined cotton canvas and a zillion pockets!

May 23, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Blufox
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

The 5 should work just fine for your gear! I carry my D700 with 24 1.4G attached and the 85 1.4G on the side. It is a little snug but then your gear is smaller so should not be a problem at all!

I looked at the 7 before deciding upon the 5. I like the smaller size and it works even better with my D700/lens attached and X100 on the side.

Happy shopping ...

May 23, 2014 at 08:32 PM
DietCigs

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs. 7 for Fuji X-Pro1 and X100

well said. Most of us bought the retro because of its looks. And I still love it!

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:05 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.