Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Backdrop suggestions

NorthDallas

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backdrop suggestions

I'm looking to set up a home photography studio in a spare bedroom. I have speedlites, softboxes, umbrella's and lightstands, but nothing in the way of backdrops currently. So far I've just used a bare wall, but would like more variety in backdrops without spending a ton of money. I'm an amateur, but plan to take portraits for extended family and friends.

May 23, 2014 at 04:53 PM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backdrop suggestions

Seamless paper is cheap, and comes in lots of colors. Muslin backgrounds come in many colors and patterns and store easily in a stuff bag. But if you don't have room to put 5-8 feet between the subject and the background, so it doesn't show wrinkles, you're better off with paper.

<Chas>

May 23, 2014 at 05:29 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backdrop suggestions

cwebster wrote:
Seamless paper is cheap, and comes in lots of colors. Muslin backgrounds come in many colors and patterns and store easily in a stuff bag. But if you don't have room to put 5-8 feet between the subject and the background, so it doesn't show wrinkles, you're better off with paper.

<Chas>

+1, although for a small bedroom I might also consider a collapsable background. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Collapsible-Background-Black-White/dp/B0053EBFBQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400869567&sr=1-2&keywords=collapsible+backdrop

May 23, 2014 at 06:26 PM
NorthDallas

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backdrop suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried using a sheet for a background before and all the wrinkles showed up since I couldn't move the subject far enough from the background to throw it out of focus. Seamless paper would solve that problem. The collapsible background also looks like a good idea and would be useful anywhere.

May 24, 2014 at 07:46 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backdrop suggestions

When I was first getting started and needed a support for seamless, I built one from PVC pipe. I left some joints friction fit so I could take it apart when I wasn't using it.

<Chas>

May 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jliyn

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backdrop suggestions

If your room have window with curtain, you can use the curtain pole to hang the backdrop.

May 30, 2014 at 06:40 AM
kymira

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backdrop suggestions

You can use seamless paper as others have suggested. Sometimes I use colored gels on my background light to give the shot some pop.

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backdrop suggestions

Seamless paper is the way to go... the amount of time you might have to spend trying to photoshop out wrinkles in your fabric will drive you nuts.

Jun 16, 2014 at 04:26 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backdrop suggestions

NorthDallas wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried using a sheet for a background before and all the wrinkles showed up since I couldn't move the subject far enough from the background to throw it out of focus. Seamless paper would solve that problem. The collapsible background also looks like a good idea and would be useful anywhere.

I've used both seamless paper and fabric, and both have advantages and disadvantages; for now I'm using the collapsible Westcott X-Drop BG more and more; it's handy to take to locations, and sets up in just minutes.

I only have a shot with the green chromakey fabric on it, but I also use black, white, and colored fabrics depending on the situation.

F. J. Westcott X-Drop

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM
ggweci

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backdrop suggestions

I have the X-Drop kit as well. Very easy to set-up and tear down. Not the most sturdy, but perfectly fine for indoor use.

Jul 04, 2014 at 02:53 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password