New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Life of a battery?

nandadevieast
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Life of a battery?

I was all set to purchase a DP3 Merrill, but the newly announced version will use a differwnt battery. Going by pretty high number of charges the Merrill battery goes through, its normal to think that its life will be much shorter. (Sigma gives you 2 bp41 batteries when you buy the Merrill, each one of them lasts only for 50 odd shots, hence the need to charge them again and again).
Anyone knows how many charges a typical battery lasts? Specifically, the BP41?
Fear is, that even if Sigma support the battery for an outgoing model for some time, in couple years i will be left with a dead box. Not a very comforting thought.
They are great cameras. Best i have ever used . I have a DP2M.
Anurag

May 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Life of a battery?

Solution: Buy more batteries and rotate through them. At one time I had 5 or 6 BP-511A's for my Canon 5D.

I have 3 Sigma branded batteries (lost one) for my DP2M and 3M plus two of the GR batteries that are snug fit but work fine in the Sigmas.

May 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Life of a battery?

I think you will be able to use a camera like this for as long as it's useful to you really. Batteries can be found long into the future.

The batteries on my SLR (which last quite long by todays standards) must be a few years old or more and still work fine.

I basically wouldn't lose too much sleep over it

Happy shooting!

May 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Life of a battery?

DSLR battery goes through less charges. But more importantly, you can find Canon or Nikon batteries all the time. They somehow maintain the same battery through many camera models.

May 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Life of a battery?

nandadevieast wrote:
I was all set to purchase a DP3 Merrill, but the newly announced version will use a differwnt battery. Going by pretty high number of charges the Merrill battery goes through, its normal to think that its life will be much shorter. (Sigma gives you 2 bp41 batteries when you buy the Merrill, each one of them lasts only for 50 odd shots, hence the need to charge them again and again).
Anyone knows how many charges a typical battery lasts? Specifically, the BP41?
Fear is, that even if Sigma support the battery for an outgoing model for some time, in couple
...Show more

I believe Ricoh uses the same battery - Ricoh-branded DB-65 - and there are aftermarket options as well. I wouldn't worry about the battery becoming unavailable any time soon.

May 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.