New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Progress after one year

swordfishphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Progress after one year

Ok so a year ago I took this picture, and of course I 1: didn't like it and 2: didn't know what to do with it. At that point, I had only had a camera for 4 months and was completely new to the idea of photography. Thankfully I was a vacuum cleaner when it came to information, and I sucked up everything I could. One of the things I learned early on from the vast knowledge base that is the internet was to shoot in RAW. Which I did for this, thankfully. Oddly enough, one year later (I had no idea it had been one year exactly until I was filling out the lost exif info), I decided to edit it again for my portfolio. I had learned some new tricks, and wanted to reduce the red cast to some of her skin. Well, I did a bit more than that, and this is what I came up with.

And then the before and after. Before is RAW, SOOC, although the initial edit with Lightroom wasn't much better, so I'll just say that's how it was for a very long time, until now.

Shot with my long-gone Panasonic GF-1 and m.Zuiko 45mm (still have that one). Boy I miss that camera. And the Huelight profile for it just... it's amazing. I don't get results like that very easily with the newer flagship Olympus/Panasonic stuff, or my fullframe Canon gear. I really need another GF-1!

May 23, 2014 at 01:45 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Progress after one year

I do like how you've edited this.

In terms of your growth this past year, I'd like to see what you would come up with if you went back to that location and did another shoot. That would be interesting.

May 23, 2014 at 09:36 AM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Progress after one year

Hey good idea! It's been a year, and the place is varied enough that I don't think I'll be overusing it.

May 23, 2014 at 09:39 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Progress after one year

Where is that place? Downtown Sandusky? Lol

Only thing I would suggest for next time is what you do with her hands.......they look awkward.....is she trying to hide there? Is she trying to get out of there? Depending on what you want to convey would suggest her hand placement......If it was me, I would show her the photo, tell her we need to do something different with the hands and try several different poses with varying hand position. When you see it, you will know it........

May 23, 2014 at 03:11 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Progress after one year

On my calibrated monitor, her skin is still quite red. This should be very easy to fix in photoshop.

May 23, 2014 at 04:48 PM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Progress after one year

Yes, there is still quite a bit red, but some of that (especially her legs) is from the red hue of the dress and the light shining through or reflecting off of it.

lol Herb, no, Little Italy in Cleveland. They're tearing down all the old buildings here.

Here is one with less red.

May 23, 2014 at 06:40 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Progress after one year

I think it looks great. Would you like to share what you have done to the image

May 24, 2014 at 09:27 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.