New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

Jetrer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

I hope this isn't a subject that's been discussed to death elsewhere, but my 1D Mk 3 autofocus seems to be using only the centre point. I can change that one point up, down, left and right, but can't seem to get it to use more than one. Out of the 45 or so autofocus points, this seems fairly limiting.

The owner's manual isn't clear about this subject, but how do I ensure that it's using all of the points available? Is it a Custom Function?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Jetrer

May 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

The owner's manual is very clear. Custom Function 3-8. Do you have it disabled?

May 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

Imagemaster wrote:
The owner's manual is very clear. Custom Function 3-8. Do you have it disabled?

That's not what he's on about. Even if CFn III-8-1,2,3 is enabled that's only for servo work and those are helper points, you can't actually select them manually.

If you are using manual AF point selection you can either choose 19, the inner 9 or outer 9 points via CFn III-9. 26 of the 45 points on the 1D III cannot be selected manually, they are assist points only.

May 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

Neither my manual nor Canon Canada or USA's website link to an online manual fully describe C.FnIII for me. It might be that a firmware update added extras to that menu, but I have six options (0-5) listed on my LCD, the user manual only shows C.FnIII:0,1, and 2.

I did find something incredibly useful on Canon's European website called EOS_1D_Mark_III_Guide_to_AI_Servo_AF_Custom_Functions.pdf

http://bit.ly/1lHsW7y

or

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/product/cameras/eos1dmark3/EOS_1D_Mark_III_Guide_to_AI_Servo_AF_Custom_Functions.pdf

May 23, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

This is quite handy too:

http://www.naturephotohub.com/articles.html/_/nature-photography-tutorials/canon-eos-1d-mark-iii-camera-settings-guide-r38

May 23, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

There are 17 CFn III settings irrespective of FW. One of the FW updates allowed you to finally use the joystick to select AF points. There's no way the camera is only showing 6 options and the user manual does indeed shwo all 17 CFn III settings on p166-172 in the manual.

May 23, 2014 at 01:18 AM
canonguy4ever

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

Which firmware version is installed in the camera?

May 23, 2014 at 05:38 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mark 3 Autofocus question

Pixel Perfect wrote:
There are 17 CFn III settings irrespective of FW. One of the FW updates allowed you to finally use the joystick to select AF points. There's no way the camera is only showing 6 options and the user manual does indeed shwo all 17 CFn III settings on p166-172 in the manual.

Sorry, I missed typing one character.

C:FnIII:8 has options 0-5 but the user manual only describes 0,1 and 2.

May 23, 2014 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.