Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Trying to Adjust power settings with Sekonic 478 and SB-800

mendo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying to Adjust power settings with Sekonic 478 and SB-800

Just bought a Sekonic l-478 and pocket wizard Plus X that I have attached to my SB-800. I bought the Sekonic so that I could trigger my SB-800 with the light meter and adjust the power on the speed light with the meter as this is what it is advertised to do. I can only get this setup to fire. When I adjust the power settings on the meter it does not change the output of the flash. I have tried setting the SB-800 in Manual and TTL mode and neither adjusts the speed light output. Do I need a different pocket wizard for my SB-800 or is there something else I need to do to get this to work?

May 23, 2014 at 03:03 AM
tsilva

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying to Adjust power settings with Sekonic 478 and SB-800

The Plus X and the Plus III are "dumb" triggers meaning they will fire the flash only. To change power output you will need the Mini and Flex system and possibly the AC3. More info can be found on the PW site.

I think this video explains it more -

http://vimeo.com/55566033

May 23, 2014 at 05:36 AM
sparkeee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying to Adjust power settings with Sekonic 478 and SB-800

I also just purchased the Sekonic L-478DR (pocket wizard built in) My gear is Canon but none the less I can control the power settings using the Sekonic. My TT1 is mounted on my Camera and my flashes are mounted on my off camera TT5 pocket wizards. I don't have to use the AC3 at all in this configuration. You have to configure the TT1 and TT5 in the pocket wizard software first though (one time easy fix)

May 24, 2014 at 03:56 AM
jestork

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying to Adjust power settings with Sekonic 478 and SB-800

Yes, you need the Pocket Wizard that uses the Control TL system- in you case would be Nikon specific Flex TT5. Do not need the AC3. System also works with Einsteins with MC9's or Alien B's with their PW trigger - think it is AC9. Plus II, Plus III, Multimax and Plus X do not use Control TL.

Jun 01, 2014 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password