FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Palouse Falls, Washington

rparchen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Palouse Falls, Washington

Just a quick one-night trip to photograph Palouse Falls for the first time. I got zeroed on the first night but the sunrise more than made up for the 4-hour drive from Seattle. I'll be spending more time in this area next month as the Palouse fields are famous for their amazing green's but I wanted to snag a pic of the falls for a leisurely trip with my girlfriend. This was also my first "real" attempt with the Sony A7r and I'm convinced Shot with Zeiss 21 ZE; 4-shot pano and a final size of ~75MP (and apparently CS6 has a problem saving files over 2GB...now I know). Enjoy!

May 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Palouse Falls, Washington

Super shot of Palouse waterfall. I think you could improve this by cropping down from the top, straighten up the horizon on the left side and dodging some of the darker areas along the river and cliffs. It was well worth your trip. Did you have to do much hiking to get to this location? Dave

May 22, 2014 at 02:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Palouse Falls, Washington

Thats some great light you got there. I love the comp but wish for less blurred water and agree with a 16x9 crop.

May 22, 2014 at 02:57 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Palouse Falls, Washington

I appreciate the constructive feedback! There was a slight hill to the left side but maybe the image still has a slight tilt. As for the crop, I stitched 4 shots for this and left all of the frames in there. But at 75MP, there is plenty of room to clip away. Ben, I tried for a slower shutter on the water but the "foam" near the center looked really weird so I went super long (120 seconds with a 10-stop filter) to just smooth everything out. I normally keep my speeds much shorter for water but the rest just didn't look that good. So I guess it was a trade-off. Thanks for the help!

May 22, 2014 at 03:36 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Palouse Falls, Washington

elitefroggy wrote:
Super shot of Palouse waterfall. I think you could improve this by cropping down from the top, straighten up the horizon on the left side and dodging some of the darker areas along the river and cliffs. It was well worth your trip. Did you have to do much hiking to get to this location? Dave

Forgot to add...this spot is basically a 5 minute walk from the overlook parking area. There are a few trails that go around the backside of the falls that lead to a lower composition but I didn't like it was much since there was less sky. Overall, it's very accessible!

May 22, 2014 at 03:38 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Palouse Falls, Washington

This is one of my favorites I have seen from there. Way to score great light on your first visit. I too might try to lighten some of the shadows to see if I like it better.

Cheers Brian

May 22, 2014 at 04:28 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Palouse Falls, Washington

One of the best I've seen from there. Very nice.

JBR

May 22, 2014 at 09:17 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Palouse Falls, Washington

I like the image and agree with cropping out the top of that frame. It's not adding much and the brighter tonality is distracting from the main attraction.

Another thing that I noticed is that some of the lighting isn't making sense to me... which is fine if it's what you're going for. I am thinking this is a sunrise shot and the walls facing it are catching that light. But there are some walls on the opposite side that seem to have the same luminosity when I would expect them to be a little darker. So amybe experiment with burning down some of those walls to make the light seem to fall a lot more naturally.

I've only shot this location once so I am unfamiliar if the eastward facing walls reflect that much light onto the westward facing ones.. so I could be completely off.

Either way you have something good here and I like it.

May 23, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Palouse Falls, Washington

Very nice brown tone colors.

May 23, 2014 at 05:18 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.