New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · iTTL and beauty dish

jc9394
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iTTL and beauty dish

I'm thinking to get a beauty dish for SB800, does it work with iTTL or do I need a light meter?

May 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iTTL and beauty dish

#shootinmanualflash

Sure, iTTL will work but you may not like the results.

May 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iTTL and beauty dish

rondphoto wrote:
#shootinmanualflash

Sure, iTTL will work but you may not like the results.

care to elaborate?

May 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iTTL and beauty dish

jc9394 wrote:
care to elaborate?

Your camera will meter the scene Through The Lens (TTL), it has no idea if you have a light modifier on the flash or not. The light modifier will modify the light, changing what the camera thought the exposure should be......

May 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iTTL and beauty dish

thanks. but when i used a gary fong light sphere, the exposure is fine. i will get one and give it a try.

May 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iTTL and beauty dish

jc9394 wrote:
but when i used a gary fong light sphere, the exposure is fine.

This made me giggle.

May 22, 2014 at 01:42 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iTTL and beauty dish

Trevorma wrote:
Your camera will meter the scene Through The Lens (TTL), it has no idea if you have a light modifier on the flash or not. The light modifier will modify the light, changing what the camera thought the exposure should be......

I am not sure this is correct. With iTTL, the camera monitors a pre-flash, and based on that, it determines flash output. So, since the modifier is on during the pre-flash the flash output will be correct during the exposure.

Jerry

May 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM
j-photo

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iTTL and beauty dish

gdsf2 wrote:
I am not sure this is correct. With iTTL, the camera monitors a pre-flash, and based on that, it determines flash output. So, since the modifier is on during the pre-flash the flash output will be correct during the exposure.

Jerry

+1

May 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iTTL and beauty dish

How to use the flash depends on what you are shooting and the look you want to achieve. I never use iTTL. IMO. once you learn how to shoot with manual flash, iTTL is less satisfying. The camera will try to get an even exposure when in iTTL. If that is the look you want, then iTTL is for you.

But, back to your question, take some test shots to see how like the results. I mean that is your answer. Your camera is a light meter. The Fong Dong does bring a smile to many event shooters, but, if it works for you, then ignore people like me. But, I will warn you that the Fong Dong is heavy and the neck of the SB800 is not particularly strong, which makes for potential problems. Many have complained about their SB800 neck breaking or, at best, weakening to a point where it will not stay at 90 degrees. A clear plastic Solo drinking cup will give you similar results--an old-timers trick.

May 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iTTL and beauty dish

But again, to answer the OP's question, yes, it will work with iTTL.

May 24, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iTTL and beauty dish

It will with all the problems that come with CLS (flash output varying with every shot.) A speedlight is not the best choice for a beauty dish, you really need a strobe that is bare bulb.

May 24, 2014 at 04:15 PM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · iTTL and beauty dish

James R wrote:
How to use the flash depends on what you are shooting and the look you want to achieve. I never use iTTL. IMO. once you learn how to shoot with manual flash, iTTL is less satisfying. The camera will try to get an even exposure when in iTTL. If that is the look you want, then iTTL is for you.

But, back to your question, take some test shots to see how like the results. I mean that is your answer. Your camera is a light meter. The Fong Dong does bring a smile to many event shooters, but,
...Show more

I'm not a pro and make my living on taking photos, the Fong Dong things you guys don't like and I do understand why. It is free to me and I have no issue with it taking family pictures.

May 28, 2014 at 02:35 PM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · iTTL and beauty dish

iTTL does work fine with beauty dish, I just dial it up compensation if needed depends on how far the object is. I'm happy with the result.

May 28, 2014 at 02:37 PM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · iTTL and beauty dish

Mark_L wrote:
It will with all the problems that come with CLS (flash output varying with every shot.) A speedlight is not the best choice for a beauty dish, you really need a strobe that is bare bulb.

100000x agree if I'm a pro but I'm not or pretend to be.

May 28, 2014 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.