Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone using the zone system digitally?

papageno
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using the zone system digitally?

Noticed there is some interest on other sites for adapting the zone system to digital.

Any one tried it/used it/loves it?

May 21, 2014 at 06:46 PM
Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using the zone system digitally?

Michael Frye has adapted it and explains it in his excellent book on the subject.

Digital Zone System

May 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using the zone system digitally?

I think the more successful B&W compositions apply a component of the zone system, whether conscience or un-conscience.

May 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM
jbouchard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using the zone system digitally?

I've used one minor piece of it. In the case where I have a portrait with a very dark background, average metering would over-react to the background and overexpose. I remember from the Zone system the typical Caucasian skin tone is supposed to be +1 from basic 18% gray, so I'll spot meter on skin and set exposure at +1.

Back in the day, they needed the zone system because they didn't have the instant feedback we have now. After I take a shot I can look at the LCD with the "clipping" screen enabled, and things that clip will be blinking at me. Sometimes it's OK to have little pieces clipping, sometimes it's not. If the exposure isn't right, adjust and shoot again. They didn't have that luxary, so to avoid coming home with junk they spent a LOT of time trying to get exposure right on film. With modern gear and instant feedback, we can work on composition and spend less time fretting over exposure.

May 23, 2014 at 08:00 PM
jestork

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using the zone system digitally?

Look at www.varis.com. Lee has also written a superb book- Mastering Exposure and the Digital Zone System, by Lee Varis. Look on Amazon.

May 24, 2014 at 01:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.