New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

superblue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

This is a question to Brits/Europeans. What batteries (other than original overpriced Canon ones) are you using in your 5D MK3's that you are happy with that don't give the 'communication' problem as showed here? Many thanks

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/eos-5d-mark-iii-third-party-batteries/

May 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

For me, none.

It's a £2000 camera, spend fifty quid on a spare battery.

Plus the new firmware updates mean these bodies hate third party batteries.

May 20, 2014 at 01:31 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

dhphoto wrote:
For me, none.

It's a £2000 camera, spend fifty quid on a spare battery.

Plus the new firmware updates mean these bodies hate third party batteries.

Have to say I think David is right . Ive had a 7D and bought a couple of knock off batteries for it from Amazon . cant remember what the first one was but that one didnt last long before it stopped working anyway . the 2nd one I got was branded DURACELL . that one worked very well in the 7D (and still does) but my 5D3 doesnt like it .
but Like David says 2 grand body im only going to use genuine ones (heck they last long enough to get away with 2 anyway)

May 20, 2014 at 01:50 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

I think you guys are right, but boy are they expensive or what?

May 20, 2014 at 02:29 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

going by Amazon prices £48 isnt that bad for the peace of mind .
the Duracell one I have is £18 and an Enegizer version is £28 . Im not sure that either of these makers are actually making them themselves but more likely these are badge engineered .

of course there are cheaper options . I found the one I didnt know the name of now , its POWER PLANET . supposedly a 2yr warranty on it . but that was worthless as they didnt want to know and Amazon just passed me onto them saying it was Power Planets issue . Thing didnt cost me enough to waste the time on so I gave up .

so if the genuine one is £48 at least I know it should A: work and B: I'll have some comeback if it doesnt .

May 20, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

I found a good price (direct link) for the Canon LP-E6 on Amazon UK. I'll probably be in the market for one soon. My spare, which I bought for a 7D, a few years ago has one bar left on recharge performance and has had for the last 6 months.

May 20, 2014 at 03:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

^^^
exactly where I was looking . that seems to be the best price available here . athough not fully an Amazon item its Fulfiled by them so any issues should be easier to sort (ive never had an issue returning or getting a warranty sorted on a Fulfiled By Amazon item ) .

I think Id be a bit wary of anything supposedly genuine that was much cheaper than that . most other reputable sellers are in the £60 region .

May 20, 2014 at 03:55 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

superblue wrote:
I think you guys are right, but boy are they expensive or what?

I think £47 is reasonable when you consider an LP-E4N is at least £130

May 21, 2014 at 12:53 AM
bobbyboy uk

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

Ive had 4 of these, had them over a year, still going ok, i took 1900 shots with one at the horse trials on Friday

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PREMIUM-Replacement-Rechargeable-COMPATIBLE-Dot-Foto/dp/B003P58MHA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400652834&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=power+planet+5dmk3

May 21, 2014 at 01:14 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

bobbyboy uk wrote:
Ive had 4 of these, had them over a year, still going ok, i took 1900 shots with one at the horse trials on Friday

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PREMIUM-Replacement-Rechargeable-COMPATIBLE-Dot-Foto/dp/B003P58MHA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400652834&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=power+planet+5dmk3[/

Are they chipped? Did they give the problem as in my original post?

May 21, 2014 at 03:47 AM
bobbyboy uk

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

superblue wrote:
They work fine, just like a canon one, no warning messages

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007QTESOM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-5d-iii-batteries.489631/#post-5648067

May 21, 2014 at 05:46 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

Thanks bobbyboy

May 21, 2014 at 06:08 AM
hola amigo

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

I use the following on a 5DIII:

2 x original Canon, came with cameras
1 x chipped DOT.FOTO, purchased on amazon.co.uk by PowerPlanet
2 x generic "Fully Decoded LP-E6 LPE6 Battery for Canon EOS 5D Mark III" purchased on ebay.co.uk from accmonster

I upgraded the firmware on the 5DIII for it to AF at f/8. The Canons and the chipped DOT.FOTO show remaining battery capacity and shutter count, the ebay ones do not.

Post FW upgrade, each time I install the ebay ones I get a warning message that reads: "Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?" I select "OK" and do not need to repeat the process unless the battery is removed from the camera. The chipped DOT.FOTO works just like the Canons.

The Canons are 1800mAh (7.2V), DOT.FOTO is 1600mAh (7.4V) and the ebay ones claim to be 2200mAh (7.4V). I have not performed controlled testing, however extensive multi-day shooting has show the Canons to last the longest. I estimate the DOT.FOTO to last 85-90% of the Canons and the ebay ones 75%, which I feel is fine for the price paid.

Prices paid around a year ago were:
DOT.FOTO - £10.99 with free delivery
no-name ebay batteries: £12.58 for two, including free delivery

Note that all the generic batteries state "for Canon LP-E6". The charger that comes with Canon cameras is LC-E6. The LP-E6 ran me £3.99 from accmonster on ebay.co.uk

May 21, 2014 at 08:52 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D MK3 batteries in UK

To my Scottish friend, thanks very much for all your info sir, much appreciated.

May 21, 2014 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.