Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

I bought a 6D earlier this year, though I was really going to get a 5D M3. The problem was the lack of patience and the lack of that much money. Now I'm wondering if I should have waited and got the 5D?

I want to know from people that perhaps have had both what you think of both cameras and if I should save up for the difference, sell the 6D (and what could get for a fairly new 6D) and what advantage, if any good ones, I could have with the 5D M3? I know about the double card slot and that seems cool, but certainly buying a bunch of cards makes up for that. But what else would make it a better camera? I know also that it has more focus points, but is that really much better? Why? I'm coming from a Rebel XTI before.

Also, when would be a good time to buy the 5D if I decided to switch? I hear that Canon has periods when they have sales on both.

Thanks for your info.

May 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

billsamuels wrote:
I bought a 6D earlier this year, though I was really going to get a 5D M3. The problem was the lack of patience and the lack of that much money. Now I'm wondering if I should have waited and got the 5D?

I want to know from people that perhaps have had both what you think of both cameras and if I should save up for the difference, sell the 6D (and what could get for a fairly new 6D) and what advantage, if any good ones, I could have with the 5D M3? I know about the double
...Show more

A few things:

1. Specifically where has the 6D fallen short for you and how has this negatively affected the photographs you have made with it?

2. Jumping to buy the "wrong thing" due to a self-described "lack of patience," and then jumping to buy something else a few months later looks to an outside observer like a continuation of the lack of patience.

3. There is an unfortunate temptation when it comes to photography to become so enamored of the shiny stuff and we can focus and obsess on it in ways that are unhealthy and which don't help us with our photography.

4. Finally, the 6D is a fine camera.

Dan

May 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

Primary difference is the AF system. If the 6D isn't leaving you wanting in terms of AF performance then there isn't any compelling reason for you to upgrade.

May 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM
nWmR12
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

Coming from the archaic 5Dc AF. The reason I got the 5DmkIII over the 6D was for AF, I think most do get it for that reason... I was also headed to the Galapagos that December...

I liked the amount of AF points, how you can set up multiple ones to track, overall having a lot of options. Another is when you change the orientation of the camera it will switch to what point you have it set to. I found it super helpful when shooting sports, and other events for my school.

Although looking back, I could have managed with 6D. I was able to do a lot with my 5Dc, just got tired of Focus Recompose method (low hit rate).

If you are not doing anything AF intensive then I'd keep the 6D...that is just me.
There are very few advantages outside of AF, they would be minor and probably not justifiable.

May 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

Better build, higher FPS.
Dual cards, but the SD slot is very slow.
More capable AF for action photography.

This thread sounds like a solution trying to find a problem.

May 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM
demdo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

The 6D proves to be an excellent camera for most people. I wish I was able to get mine back.

The only reason why I would want the 5D3 is for action AF and better video quality -- less moire

Edited on May 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM · View previous versions

May 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

I had the chance to mess with both. The image quality is equal..isn't that what its all about.

May 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

In other words, I have no idea what my needs are, please help me spend my money.

May 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

dacop wrote:
I had the chance to mess with both. The image quality is equal..isn't that what its all about.

If you can't track an erratically moving subject then you will have an out of focus capture, and as such, the IQ will *not* be the same.

May 20, 2014 at 01:25 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

Go here:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Select both cameras and compare their features side-by-side.

You can also read owners' reviews of both on this site.

May 20, 2014 at 01:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

I sure would be nice to hear more from the OP before we continue to speculate...

May 20, 2014 at 01:48 PM
laptopdesktop

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

6d has a wireless capability

May 20, 2014 at 02:28 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

gdanmitchell wrote:
I sure would be nice to hear more from the OP before we continue to speculate...

Dan, as of late I've noticed this 'NO' followup by the OP happening a bit more...seems odd there wouldn't be more interaction, it would certainly help others seeking the same info/advice.

May 20, 2014 at 02:31 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

I had a long conversation this morning with a couple of folks at B&H, the ones that you would think would want to sell me something, and they actually told me that the 6D is just as good as the 5D-3 except for the AF. They asked me what I use the camera for and when I told them, they both said that it would not really do me any good to fix what isn't broke because if you look at some of the photos that I've submitted, they're either single-subject photos like a squirrel or bird close-up (which actually I took with my old XTI), or they're mostly landscape photos with an infinite focus. I use a single focus point a lot as well. The two main selling points I've liked about the 5D is the twin-slots for memory cards (great feature) and the improvements made to the way it sits in your hand, which I'm not sure if that is already built into the 6D or not.

Your comments only reinforce that what I have now is a great camera and I shouldn't worry about it. I just see a lot of photos here taken with a 5D and perhaps I have camera envy because that was the camera I was going for originally and I don't see many of you who have 6D's, perhaps because it's a newer camera. Perhaps I feel like I got the Volkswagen instead of the BMW?

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm fine with what I got based upon what all of you said. And as one guy said at B&H, I should upgrade some of my lenses instead of worrying about the camera, which is really a great camera. Am I off-base?

Thanks again.

May 20, 2014 at 02:50 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

You can go back and fourth between the two- but if it helps, remember that your 6D produces cleaner shadow detail and is capable of focusing in lower light with it's center point than the 5D III, on top of being smaller and lighter, while still maintaining excellent ergonomics.

And if the camera can keep up with you, it's the glass that needs more love. Just sayin'.

May 20, 2014 at 02:57 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

Bill, if you get into video, there is a 3rd party moire filter that can easily be added to the 6D, from all accounts it works great; see the link below.

http://store.mosaicengineering.com/VAF-6D-Moire-Aliasing-Filter_p_15.html

With no FF body as of yet I've struggled with your dilemma. My only subject difference is I shoot action a good bit; surfing and motor sports, and it was the last 5D3 firmware update that made any decision even more difficult. So, I've decided to wait out 2014 before moving to FF, just to see what Canon comes out with in September, then I'll get a 6D/24-105 kit, hoping prices will drop.

To feed my action needs, specifically AF at f8, I grabbed an older 1DMk2N and it does the job wonderfully. There are other options out there and after balancing want vs. need, cost as well, the 6D wins out for many...hobbyist.

There is only about a $1200 difference between the 6D and 5D3, but actually there is a bigger gap when you consider GPS and WiFi are free with the 6D vs. the add-ons the 5D3 requires, they cost around $1200; GPS-$490, WiFi/file transfer-$850.

And for my style of shooting action; born from my film days, 5 vs. 6 FPS isn't a huge problem, nor are the dual card slots...no doubt the 5D3 has a big AF edge for many and yes there's that bigger/badder envy issue.

Keep us posted on your use of the 6D, post some images, let others know how it works out!

Cheers,
Jerry

Edited on May 20, 2014 at 03:37 PM · View previous versions

May 20, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

Bill, if you're not a pro, I wouldn't worry about not having two memory card slots. I think you're fine with your 6D. Once you run into limitations you can always upgrade but I've shot plenty of weddings and corporate events with a couple of 5D2's without much of a problem. For landscapes auto-focus isn't even necessary and the IQ of the 6D is supposed to be marginally better even than the 5D3 at high ISO.

My advice: go out and shoot!

May 20, 2014 at 03:36 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

billsamuels wrote:
I know about the double card slot and that seems cool, but certainly buying a bunch of cards makes up for that. .

No. No it doesn't.

May 20, 2014 at 03:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

billsamuels wrote:
The two main selling points I've liked about the 5D is the twin-slots for memory cards (great feature)

One 5D III vs. two 6D's ... or 6D & other 2nd body @ strategy of choice from 1D II N (AF/build/dual cards to )

Still not quite the same as having two cards in one body, but whether you put the $$$ delta into glass or another body, there are some options at how to utilize the $$$ delta.

May 20, 2014 at 04:07 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Now that I've had a 6D, I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ a 5D???

Heck, if you want a 5d3 why not go all the way and want a 1dX. That's where I'm at right now, 1dX envy. Matter of fact, it makes me want to go club a squirrel with my 1d3! I did get a 6d a few weeks ago when canon had them on sale in their refurb store and I'm extremely happy with the IQ, so maybe the squirrels around me are safe for a while. Love the sensor, love the size, but the 1d AF and controls are far superior in my humble opinion, so that camera isn't going away anytime soon either.

Horses for courses, and all that.

About the only time I've ever used the SD card slot in my 1d3 is when I forget to bring a CF card for some bizarre reason.

May 20, 2014 at 04:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.