FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Eagle Falls II

lighthawk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eagle Falls II

My first submittal was overexposed. I think I relied upon autobracketing off AV mode and should have been more attentive to the histogram.

I still wish I had a darker exposure value for the sky, but submit this for your review. I was going for the Justin Ghent 'glimmer' when shooting the dawn colors across the water.

And a B&W since I have some problems with the weird colors in the sky

Lastly, a somewhat reworked predawn image that I posted yesterday.

May 20, 2014 at 01:01 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eagle Falls II

I love the sun star, reflection on the lake, and how you captured the water on the fall in #1.
I think the comp from your location is difficult, maybe #3 is my favorite.
There is a hint of blending halos in the upper right corner of #1.

David

May 20, 2014 at 06:44 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eagle Falls II

Man, this location has some insane potential. You just need some better lighting conditions to get that "glimmer", then your shot will be off the charts with clean processing. I haven’t seen many locations where you can shoot down cascade towards a sunrise. Pretty sweet.

I know we have a Dustin Gent here, and I'm Justin Grimm. Not sure who Justin Ghent is though? Maybe he and I can call ourselves that on our next trip together haha

As for the processing, I'll only comment on the 1st since it has the strongest comp and light. I’m not sure how you choose to process and in what programs, but you should try to use more refined masks when blending in the brightest details and darkest shadows of an image. If not, there will be halos (like in the top right tree line), or blotchiness caused by manual brush strokes (in the far ridge and trees). Those darker blotches will come in when you accidentally blend in some of the deep shadows from your correct sky exposure, and make things look uneven. Some good giveaways are the dark tree top in front of the sunstar, and the dark blotch on the ridge to the left of the tree. You are definitely right in wanting a darker exposure for the sky also. That would make things a lot smoother up there, and you could really make that horizon glimmer if the upper sky was darker, so it isolates the light a bit more.

A quick tip when bracketing, make sure you have your settings adjusted so that it shoots from lowest to highest exposure, and expose for your highlights initially. That way you will never have any blown-out areas. They are much more distracting then underexposed shadows in my opinion.

Hope that helps a bit.

May 20, 2014 at 01:05 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eagle Falls II

Apologies, Justin! I somehow morphed you and Dustin! I just looked at both of your portfolios on FM and am blown away. The standard of excellence is quite high, and I'm encouraged to learn from all of you here.

I processed three to five exposures as layers in photoshop CC. You're right, my masking skills are pretty basic, just using a brush, but no other selection tools. Any hints? After flattening, I did a bit more work in LR before exporting.

Cool suggestion to meter off the sky for EV+0. I think I understand that to be the lowest exposure value, with non-blown sky, and each bracket will be 1/3 -1 stop brighter. In this case, I would have a darker sky/sun to work with. Makes sense.

May 21, 2014 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.