FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

Taken about three weeks ago on a bright sunny day.
Thought I would try to get this higher contrast scene right w/Provia.
I held the highlights, but the shadows are a bit muddy
This is 10 yr old Provia/frigd' & the transparency was a little flat so reworked in PS

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/14040330579_812144a04a_b.jpg

C&C

Thanks

Dan

May 19, 2014 at 10:53 PM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

Looks like it it underexposed in the shadows and a little in the fall and rock face. Maybe the film is just a bit to old. This needs a lot more work IMHO. There seems to be a lot of red in the mix. If you post a higher resolution pic, maybe others can help out with some ideas. Dave

May 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

elitefroggy wrote:
Looks like it it underexposed in the shadows and a little in the fall and rock face. Maybe the film is just a bit to old. This needs a lot more work IMHO. There seems to be a lot of red in the mix. If you post a higher resolution pic, maybe others can help out with some ideas. Dave

The resolution posted is just fine, and being underexposed has nothing to do with the film being old. It has everything to do with it just being film and it's limited DR. That is a tough shot Dan tried there for film, and one of the reasons I stopped using film some 8 years ago. Dan's solution would have been to expose for the highlights of the water, then expose for the shadows of the trees with his film, and then use a layer mask in Photoshop to combine both exposures into one.

Other than the shadows being underexposed, the water to me looks pretty good, perhaps a bit of a magenta cast, but the exposure for the water is right on the money.

Jim

May 20, 2014 at 01:58 AM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

Tough one here. Perfect exposure on the falls, but it's just so difficult to get the shaded area without completely blowing out the rock face and waterfall. Provia was probably the best possible choice if you were going to have a chance at this scene with slide film. In this case, I would've (very reluctantly) shot this on Ektar 100, or Portra if you wanted more muted colors. I have a lot of trouble scanning Ektar, but I've seen it hold detail across nearly 10 stops. It takes me FOREVER to adjust individual curves in PS to get it right, but it's worth it in the end. I think it would've handled this scene just fine. Any idea how big the dynamic range was in this scene?

Another alternative is of course BW. Curious if you tried your TMAX on this scene. I personally believe this has the potential to be a really strong black and white image with the dark trees framing the waterfall perfectly, while retaining the shadow detail. If you have a BW image of this composition, I would love to see it.

May 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

I think the films age contributed to a lack of contrast & some color shift but I thought I would try a rescue in P/S
Jim, I haven't tried two film exposure blended
Alan, I went with the Provia because I wanted to see if I could make it cover the range even thought I had some Ektar.
I actually have great luck with scanning Ektar. I scan RAW, then use Color Neg plugin for Photo shop.
My main issue is color casts which are worsened by my color vision.
I have started to use RGB values as a reference for key areas. Still a work in progress.

Here's a BW rendering. The blacks seem a bit muddy

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/14212014256_d937a264a1_b.jpg

Thanks

Dan

May 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM
ADudeOnSkis

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

Nice, little bit of a magenta cast?
Love experimenting with old stock...

May 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM
drown

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

Nice work

May 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

Hey Dan,

Knowing the limited DR of the film you are using, why are you not bracketing your exposures then and blending them in photoshop? That would give you the best of both worlds. To me it's a very logical and simple solution, and if I was still shooting film, that is what I would be doing.

Jim

May 22, 2014 at 01:29 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite Falls, on Provia-4x5

Jim, I confess this was a more of an experiment to see if a wider latitude transparency like Provia would work here. I actually did bracket the shot in quickload, but it failed to extract properly. I did have more success with the Velvia shots of the Dogwoods although both were old stock. The Velvia was better cared for.

I have only recently been experimenting with stitching, blends with film. My concern is both the shot-to-shot movement AND the two scans. Not sure if P/S will align it OK. But I am going to try.
The other experiment I want to try is pre-exposure at 3/4 stops down to lift the shadows.

So I'm slowly working on techniques & still having fun. I just need to get out more. Its only been a year I've been shooting 4x5
Thanks
Dan

May 22, 2014 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.