New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

I am going on a road trip mid July to see some relatives up along the Oregon coast.
Good thing is they are into photography so this will be fun on all accounts.
Wanted to know what beaches are a must visit.
We will be near Thors Well, Cape Perpetua & perhaps Bandon beach
Will have about on late-afternoon plus two days before returning via
Redwoods in California

Thanks

Dan

May 19, 2014 at 10:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

Yachats is my favorite place but I am into rocky shores rather than sea stacks or sandy beaches. Canon Beach is the place for the latter. By the way, Yachats is best if you are lodging someplace at or north of the Adobe. We use Fireside Inn. Nice trail north of here, but it is starting to get built up.

For Thors Well, you need to be there near high Tide and sunset (I have seen sunrise shots too). I have had poor luck with sunrises along this coast.

Strawberry Hill is nice and has a seal haul out rock too.

Some people like Seal Rock. And of course the Heceta Head Lighthouse is an easy thing, just use the pull out north of the Sea Lion Caves.

May 20, 2014 at 09:40 AM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

Bandon is great early and late. Seal rock south of Newport is great with a low tide. Depot bay is fun as are the boats at Newport. Charleston is great down south.

May 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Trux

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

I think the most photogenic beach is Bandon. And by the way, you can't go wrong with the Bandon Coffee Cafe in the early AM for fresh coffee and a breakfast sandwich before heading out to the Beach. Face Rock area is nice.

Particularly like the coast from Bandon south. Harris beach in Brookings is beautiful as are the whole coast between CA. & Bandon.

The California coast from Crescent City south is beautiful and will see as you explore the Redwoods.

Leave plenty of time for the Redwoods. Crescent City CA. is a good central spot. Must see's in this opinion are Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park on Rt. 199. Smith River Area is beautiful. Leave plenty of time to explore down the CA. coast and Redwoods. Can get lots of smokey light in the trees as the fog burns off. Great Area great trip. You will probably find you could easily spend a couple weeks or more for the trip you are taking. Get the Redwood State Parks map. If you are adventurous take the dirt roads through the Redwoods - The Howland Hill Rd. goes from Stout Grove (just north of Jedediah Smith campground Rt. 199) and comes out near Crescent City. This is a good early morning trip because the road gets lots of traffic. Just came from there - the road has a lot of potholes so take your time.

Another must see is the drive down 101 and take the scenic Newton B Drury Parkway. If you go south to Orick you will probably see elk feeding along the road. you can get some great elk close ups.

You should have a fun trip where ever you go on this one! These are all opinions of course. Have spent 3 trips to this area in the last 4 yrs and still want to go back.

Trux

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM
renowood
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

I too will be along the Oregon Coast around this time. Any tips for shooting Thors Well, parking and tide times? Also what's the best tide to shoot the Peter Iredale? I haven't been to these spots in 30 years

Jul 03, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Jglaser757
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

What about Haystack rock? I stayed in Manzanita and scoured along the coast there!

Cape perpetua, thors well is a must see,obviously!..

I have little experience at thors well, but getting there as the tide is rising is best..but it also has to be times with sunset time for summer..

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

Thor's Well you need a mid tide, so when the tide is a 4-5 will get you good results. I have shot there at a 7, and it is really sketchy. Nothing to hold onto, so when a wave comes in...

With that said, it isn't always life threatening Peter Iredale you need a high tide, as it is beached very well. Expect to see kids climbing along it as the camp ground is right there - and it being summer

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM
msshea
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

Dan,

Sunrise and a low tide at Seal Rocks is the best combination.

For my money, you'd come away from the Redwoods with the most memorable shots. As suggested, travel the dirt roads as much as possible.

It's a bit of a dusty drive from Rt. 101, but Fern Canyon in the Redwoods is a delight, and there are lots of trails close by. There's an admission booth as you get to the coast, but it's worth the price. The road along the beach leading to the Canyon goes by the Gold Cliffs and, chances are, you'll see a few elk. If you're there around sunset, and the fog has lifted, you can get some nice shots of the lit-up Cliffs from out on the beach. And if you're really lucky, there might be some low-lying clouds at tree line above the cliffs that will give you some nice pink.

The Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area is fun. Late afternoon to sunset is the best.

Have fun!

Merrill

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:15 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

tag for ref:

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:43 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oregon Coast advice for mid-July

Hey Dan,

The cool thing about the Oregon coast is I don't believe there is a bad mile along the whole length. Bandon Beach is my favorite. But you can't miss out no matter where you are at.

Jim

Feb 11, 2015 at 02:42 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.