Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Should I try and trade my 7d for a 70d?

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Should I try and trade my 7d for a 70d?

TrojanHorse wrote:
Are we talking about low-level formatting or just a regular erase-the-pics format? I always do the quick format on any cards I insert and the owner's manual makes some vague reference to doing a low-level format if read and write speeds start to dwindle.

The 'low-level' option. It's just the way flash works- flash memory cells have to be zero'd out across the board before they can be rewritten to at full speed; it's why having Trim is so important for SSDs, since you can't exactly format your system drive on a daily basis .

May 20, 2014 at 05:11 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Should I try and trade my 7d for a 70d?

Well, hot diggety. I guess I'll start doing that semi-regularly.

May 20, 2014 at 06:26 PM
VTBobF

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Should I try and trade my 7d for a 70d?

Yea I've never low level formatted my cards.

Still haven't had a chance to process from the 7d. Hopefully I'll have a bunch of opportunities to shoot over the long weekend and can then decide if I want to keep or trade

May 21, 2014 at 08:18 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Should I try and trade my 7d for a 70d?

I've used both, I like the images the 70D produces, but I much, much prefer the controls of the 7D. That, and the weatherproofing.

Don't compare files from each, using the view screen. The 70D screen is a lot better than the 7D, and you'll get the wrong impression.

Compare them side by side on your (color corrected, one hopes) computer screen. And drill down into the menu and make sure your 7D adjustments (saturation, sharpening, etc.) are set the same for both.

I sold my 70D and kept my 7D, simply due to the controls and weatherproofing.

May 22, 2014 at 05:43 AM
gocolts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Should I try and trade my 7d for a 70d?

To me they're too close to bother with a switch. Wait for a 7D II or an 80D.

I bought a 6D and kept my 7D, which for me is a very good combo that fits the various things I shoot better. A 7D II is going to have to be a significant step-up for me to upgrade my 7D. And even if it is, if it's too expensive I'm going to consider a 1D MK4 instead.

Bottom line is that Canon's crop sensor advances haven't been that big the past 5 years, and aren't yet worth the upgrade.

May 22, 2014 at 07:11 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.