Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

jacksonjon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

Hey guys,

I'm currently having a major dilemma with two of the prime L series lenses for my crop body.

For my needs, I have narrowed it down to two lenses, the 50mm 1.2 and the 35mm 1.4.

I currently have a 50mm 1.8, but want to take the next step with my photography. I would be using it mainly to take photos of my family and pets, and friends on our adventures. I also want to have the flexibility to just chuck it on and wander into the city and take street photography. I have a 15-85 lens that will cover the rest, but I really want a prime for that "wow" factor.

Now for the curve ball. I have a 35mm film camera with a 50 1.4 fd lens attached. I also have a TLR rolleiflex on the way from KEH.

Based on this knowledge and your experience with both lenses, which lens would YOU chose to add to my current collection and hopefully avoid repetitiveness along the different formats.

Thanks in advance,

Jackson

May 19, 2014 at 04:55 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

The 35L on your 7D would duplicate the 50/1.4 FD, both being normal primes, so my vote would go to the 50L which is more of a portrait prime on your 7D.

May 19, 2014 at 05:01 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

They're both great lenses, the main differentiator is focal length.

Do you like the 50 1.8 on the 7D? I do, it gives me an 80mm FF equivalent focal length, perfect for candid portraits. So my choice would be the 50mm

For street photography you might prefer something a little wider. Personally I'd also be considering the 24mm for street, just to add to your choices

May 19, 2014 at 05:55 AM
MP79
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

Value wise, I think you may be much better served by the 35mm f2 IS rather than the 35L. I shoot crop formats exclusively myself, but if I were looking to spend that kind of money I would rather put it towards a 6D body (or even a used 5Dmk2) than one of those expensive L primes.

Based on what you have said above however, I don't see any need at this point to spend so much on either L primes or FF bodies, so I think you should strongly consider the 35mm IS prime or even the Sigma 35mm prime if you really want f1.4. L lenses are great, but they are not always the best choice. There are other lenses without the L mystique that often give you something to work with that may end up being better in certian applications. Consider this carefully, and good luck with your new lens, whatever you end up choosing.

May 19, 2014 at 09:34 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

If the "wow" factor you're looking is shallow depth of field and out of focus rendering, both of those lenses will serve you well. The focal length is up to you.

I'd check your catalog to see what focal length you're shooting your 15-85 at most and consider that information when making your decision too.

May 19, 2014 at 09:45 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

More wow factor in the 50L. Creamy bokeh is the lens' trademark.

May 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

Another vote for the 50L

May 19, 2014 at 07:47 PM
jacksonjon

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

Great input so far, thanks guys!

johnctharp wrote:
The 35L on your 7D would duplicate the 50/1.4 FD, both being normal primes, so my vote would go to the 50L which is more of a portrait prime on your 7D.

Thanks John, this was the info I needed as its hard to keep up with everything! If I went the 50 option, would the focal length on the 7d then be too similar to that of the TLR that i just purchased? In saying that, they will produce quite different results I’m sure..

May 20, 2014 at 04:23 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D L Primes. What would you choose?

Although the TLR is square format, the focal length is commonly compared to 50mm on full frame DSLRs.
This is assuming that you have the standard 80mm f2.8 lens, not the other variants.

Here's a link on FM discussing the "look": https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1212746

May 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.