Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

bosharpe

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

You will be fine. Pack sensibly and don't forget sunscreen . In my experience something always chipped, cracked or snapped but I'm clumsy.

Jun 29, 2014 at 04:32 AM
mine1

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

I would suggest a insert (I use apecase just because it is cheap and seem's to get the job done), there are inserts in every price/size/brand you could think of. for some reason camera bag designers are still stuck in "get as much gear in as possible" mode and don't really seem to make very comfortable packs for long term hiking, and then just put the insert into an easy to get to part of your bag. that way all of your packs (and the wife's purse) are now camera bags.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM
mine1

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

well crap this is not the thread I thought it was. enjoy your trip and ignore my comments that have nothing to do with what you asked lol.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM
yarnim

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

thanks for the post. have a trip planned for this 4th july weekend! helpful tips.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Alex Nail
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

I use a 70L Osprey Aether for trips up to 8 days long where I carry my own food. I can still fit a 3kg 2 person mountain tent in my pack. I don't strap anything to the outside save my tripod.
My blog shows my kit and you can also download a kit list with weights:
http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/packed-for-iceland/

Jun 30, 2014 at 06:35 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

Alex Nail wrote:
I use a 70L Osprey Aether for trips up to 8 days long where I carry my own food. I can still fit a 3kg 2 person mountain tent in my pack. I don't strap anything to the outside save my tripod.
My blog shows my kit and you can also download a kit list with weights:
http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/packed-for-iceland/

Excellent blog Alex with some wonderful photography.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM
karosikcreativ

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

You'll figure out what's right for you over time. As a really skinny dude (130lbs), I only bring my camera body and 1 prime lens in my Osprey pack. I really need to keep my overall backpack weight low, or I'll be hurtin'.

Jul 01, 2014 at 09:25 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

I've always faired well with my lowpro bag. It's got room for 4 lenses and one body with a long lens mounted, or 4 lenses and two bodies. Can fit all my cards, batteries, pocket wizards, etc.. It's also got space for a laptop!

Jul 01, 2014 at 11:31 AM
sumtiw
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Backpacking with DLSR gear.

Ahh.. This on topic is so close to my heart.
I did Peru and Bolivia this February. I was not in coastal area but was in Amazon basin. These were the questions that I had before going and I asked these to a lot of people. Glenn Bartley has a video on YT showing how he packs for birding trips. That was helpful too.
So I had 1 gopro, 7D, canon 100-400mm, 100mm and 8-15mm with a Yongnuo 560iii, RRS BL-55 on an aluminum tripod.
I packed clothes and tripod in REI 45L backpack coz I didn't want to check in anything.
Camera and lenses were in Lowepro flipside 300 (yes it looked deformed but at least I had it with me during the flight) as a personal item.
Wishing you wonderful trip.

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:48 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.