Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lens mounting issue...

Pmarshall

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens mounting issue...

Hi everyone, tonight I was doing a shoot and noticed my camera wouldnt auto focus (manual focus is fine) it kept trying and never locked on. I turned the camera off, unmounted the lens and remounted in case a connection was off a little. It still did the same thing. The lens on the camera was my Nikon 24-70 2.8 so I removed it and put on my Nikon 35mm and it did the same thing. I noticed when mounting the lighter 35mm lens that it took more effort to turn until click than normal. I removed it again and noticed slight debris just on the inside of the lip on the camera that looked like metal shavings. The camera is a D7000 that I normally leave the 24-70 on ( I use a d600 for 70-200 and other lens) so the D7000 doesnt see a lens change often. Ive tried to research this but all I find is other useless stuff on how to focus lol. Does anyone have any ideas before I reach out to Nikon and shell out a buttload of money.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Phillip

May 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens mounting issue...

A few sparkles just inside the mount are not unusual, simply the result of mounting a lens. That stuff accumulates gradually right behind the lip of the mount. Or, are they genuine metal shavings like shavings from a machine shop? That could only occur if a screw in a lens or the mounting surface of the camera body had come loose and is grinding against one side or the other. Never heard of that before though, although I suppose it could happen. And, there would be very noticeable scratches.

You probably just need to clean the contacts and mounting surfaces with ethanol or some other cleaner and a lint free microfiber cloth though.

May 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Pmarshall

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens mounting issue...

Thank you ckcarr for your response. I will check all of the screws tonight and look for a dragging point. Its very concerning.

Thank you again.

May 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.