New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

Is my best bet for using my Nikon glass the Metabones? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002616-REG/metabones_mb_nfg_e_bm1_nikon_g_mount_lens.html

What about the Fotodiox version? It's a lot cheaper. Any insight is much appreciated.

EDIT: Additional impressions will be added as I play with the camera.

Edited on May 21, 2014 at 11:29 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

No auto focus with either.....that's why I sold my nikon glass and purchased canon glass....with that said I find myself using MF quite a bit. MF with focus peaking works wonders on the A7(r).....also needed IS for longer lenses was the other reason I went back to canon glass....obviously VR won't work either with nikon glass on the sony A7(r)

May 18, 2014 at 11:28 PM
phuviano
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

I received my metabones nikon G to nex adapter last week. Build quality is good. Aperture adjustment is smooth. Very slight movement where the camera mounts to the adapter. I only noticed this because i tried moving it. I don't notice the movement when shooting. The fit is pretty snug, not loose. Its just you can move it slightly when you force it.

May 19, 2014 at 01:05 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

Thanks, both of you. I'll pull the trigger on the metabones. I'm still keeping a D700 as my #1 camera, so no getting rid of the Nikon glass for me. This has to work with no new glass, or it'll get sold.

My key concern was making sure any converter I bought didn't shrink the image circle down to an APS-C size for the old NEX bodies. I take it the metabones I linked does not do that?

May 19, 2014 at 02:04 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

Correct, the linked adapter is strictly mechanical. The speed boosters reduce, this one will not.

May 19, 2014 at 02:58 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

I use the Fotodiox ones (from Rainbowimaging on eBay) with no issues. Hard to beat for ~$20.

May 19, 2014 at 09:55 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

My metabones Nikon F adapter needed significant tightening while my cheapo Fotodiox C/Y - E mount adapter was and remains great straight out of the box. I suspect there is a great deal of randomness coming out of wherever both are produced.

May 20, 2014 at 12:06 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

Ordered the Fotodiox from Amazon, as that left free funds for various other accessories (SD cards, screen protector, spare battery and charger) that could be spent without raising the attention or ire of the boss lady.

SUPER pumped to play with this thing. It has been torture staring at it while waiting for the lens adapter to show up, and there's another 24 hours of this hell!

If I can find an FD --> NEX adapter cheap somewhere at a brick and mortar location in Los Angeles today, I'll go grab it and start playing with my dad's old Canon lenses -- there is a 50mm 1.4 SSC and a 200mm 2.8 SSC in this bag! I guess the old man didn't play around.

But the point of the experiment is to see if I can make do with one lens system (Nikon), and actually do WORK with the A7 in addition to my D700. I mostly shoot portraits and fashion, so we'll see if I'm frustrated using MF.

May 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon guy with a new Sony A7 -- questions and impressions

For OS X users -- I attempted to upgrade the firmware of the A7 with the Sony firmware updater app.

1) Good lord, does Sony write some shitty, half-assed software. I have always had this impression, particularly in relation to UI -- this dates back to my use of old Digital Mavica cameras, the entire Playstation family from original to 4, the PSP... great hardware, infuriating software. The instructions in the updater process were vague and unspecific about how to set the camera up for the update. It took time and guesswork to get it right.

2) I've read that you can't get the updater software to work in OS X Mavericks, or alternatively, that you can't get it to work unless you're booted into the 32 bit kernel as opposed to 64 bit. I found neither to be true.

However, the updater actually aborted mid-update for me on the first THREE tries, leaving me with a steady red light by the card bay door and the fear that I had bricked my new camera. It updated properly on the fourth try. What's the secret? YOU CAN'T UPDATE IN THE BACKGROUND WHILE DOING OTHER STUFF. You have to keep the update app front and center in OS X while it does its thing.

Un. Believable.

May 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.