FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

Here is another daffodil from that shoot, but this is a red one, much more rare. I again used my Tamron macro 1:1 (this is the new Tamron they've reason come out with, which is a great lens),

Canon Rebel XTI, 90mm Tamron 1:1 ISO 400 F 4.5 ISO 100 1/200 sec, Shutter Priority

May 17, 2014 at 02:09 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

P.S. I really want to know what you think because I'm here to learn how to take better pictures!!! If you think it's crap, please let me know how I can do better. Hopefully though, you're a better photographer than I am and not just being critical.

May 17, 2014 at 02:12 PM
johnmatrix84
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

Bill,

It seems to me you wanted to highlight the detail of the red stamen, however, it is not getting through because it is too dark. I don't think it is a pp thing, instead you need to look at flash. It will be the only way to get light down there to bring up the detail in the flower.

Below are is an example of a bluebell with and without flash. I wanted to light up the bluebell and highlight the inside of the flower, which was not happening with the ambient. I used a yonguo flash diffused with a small soft box triggered by their radio poppers to aim the flash into the interior of the bluebell. Although not a perfect shot by any means, you get the idea what off camera flash can do to highlight detail.

-Nathan

without flash

with flash

May 17, 2014 at 02:43 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

Try posting your images at least 800pixels wide so others can see them better.

Unless you are using shallow DOF for an effect, try using f16 or so for greater DOF.

You certainly don't need to use flash for shots of flowers. Natural light often looks better.

This shot is with the Tamron 90mm macro plus extension tubes. Tripod, mirror lockup, and self-timer.

May 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

You need to close down top at least f8, probably f11 or f16. Try to frame so that the whole corona/trumpet/cup is in the frame.

Harold

May 18, 2014 at 04:14 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

How do you get the frame, and in your case, the purple/white "frame" that encircles the photo? That looks so much better than just a picture by itself.

Also, I shrunk the picture down because I thought it has to be around 640 pixels.

May 18, 2014 at 06:36 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

billsamuels wrote:
How do you get the frame, and in your case, the purple/white "frame" that encircles the photo?

You just increase the canvas size in Photoshop and pick whatever colors you want. If you don't learn how to use Photoshop, or some other post-processing program, you will just be stuck with whatever images come out of your camera. That is fine for lots of shots, but most can be improved with post-processing.

May 18, 2014 at 10:26 AM
coder
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

Tony gives good advice.

Daffodils have so much depth... I think they turn out best if you back up a bit and get more of the flower and some of its surroundings in the image, while stopping down to get more DOF. Or get really close and use shallower DOF and focus on certain parts...

May 18, 2014 at 02:23 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Red Daffodil Macro lens

I have Photoshop Lightroom 5 at home and Photoshop CS5 at work, though it's not in my job description to work with Photoshop so I have to play with it on the sly and they're not giving classes. I think "canvas" is the key word I'm looking for.

I'm just learning how to process photos with these programs, which is why I'm throwing it out here for your criticism, good bad or ugly.

As to this series, I have about 300 photos and they concentrate on every part of the daffodil, from close up like here with low DOF to close up with high DOF, and further back with both high and low DOF. Some have back-lighting from the sun and some are natural light. I've been posting some for comments, but from YOUR comments, I think of other photos from that shoot that would be better than these! I.e. more flower

Thanks!

May 18, 2014 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.