FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              9       10       end

Archive 2014 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Gyroscope
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Wise words! I have been thinking something along those lines myself. Sensor development has certainly slowed. I am unlikely to sell or change my 5D3 for a long time. The only new body that may be in my future is a 7Dmk2 which surely would then be the high ends APS-c camera we are all waiting for and maybe a full frame mirrorless EF mount for mobility. As you said the next gen of camera tech then you just enjoy the investment in lenses you have accumulated over the years.

splathrop wrote:
The game is changing on its own, back to where it was before digital. Some of us remember those days. You bought a camera without considering anything but function, certainly not technological obsolescence. You expected it to serve you for many years. If you were going to buy anything more, it was going to be an occasional lens. That points the way to a business model that would make sense now:

One more round of technological advance in the sensor department is all that's needed. Bring the MP and dynamic range up one more ratchet click and call it done. That
...Show more

May 17, 2014 at 07:49 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Like many products, the smart phones will be further commoditized in a few years, becoming cheaper and crappier.

EBH

May 17, 2014 at 07:58 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

EB-1 wrote:
Like many products, the smart phones will be further commoditized in a few years, becoming cheaper and crappier.

How can they be any cheaper and better than free? (Most of them are already virtually free with a provider plan.)

May 17, 2014 at 08:17 PM
swoop
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Something like the Nikon Df that uses FD mount lenses. That same classic style, compact body SLR but with a 5D sensor.

May 17, 2014 at 08:20 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

cameron12x wrote:
How can they be any cheaper and better than free? (Most of them are already virtually free with a provider plan.)

Exactly. I don't see crappier coming anytime soon especially from Apple. They are putting pressure on suppliers to not only come in at a good price but also advance the technology. If not, they'll take their multi-billion dollar order some place else. See Sapphire vs. Gorilla.

May 17, 2014 at 08:37 PM
KFG1
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Gyroscope wrote:
Are you serious? Hardware manufacturer's are useless at software. They can't even get their firmware right sometimes. It would be better if they stopped software supply completely and just supplied all their RAW algorithms direct to Adobe in exchange for them bundling LR with their camera's instead of DPP.

Actually very serious, many hardware manufactures over history have then went on to develop software that has even went on become software standards. In any case, what would change the game more then if Canon could put together and make software that was as good as Adobe. They'd have to spend time to do it right, but if they want a bigger slice of the pie, why not go after Adobe's? More people then ever are frustrated with Adobe's business practice with the cloud system.

May 17, 2014 at 09:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

I hope they stick with the free DPP. It is just enough to be useful.

EBH

May 17, 2014 at 09:42 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

I personally think that Canon has been, and is, changing the game right now. They have introduced an number of inexpensive lenses that really perform well. Their higher-end introductions have really consistent AF performance and great optics. It seems to me that they really understand their markets and have been targeting both the consumer and higher-end markets with great products. I have shot Canon for decades and have never been happier with my current kit than I am today.

But in terms of a real game changer, above and beyond just being successful, I think that they should look at seriously participating in Google's PROJECT ARA. This is an initiative by Google to develop a MODULAR cell phone. You buy the back-plane/exoskeleton of the phone (for dirt cheap) and then you attach modules to this frame (that you select and buy) that perform individual functions. These modules are provided by third party manufacturers. You build the phone you need/want with components you select; then upgrade it incrementally as it makes sense to you. So you could have a display module, camera module, processor module, etc. If Canon got into building ARA modules for camera/lens combos, flash systems and other photography related items, they could become a leader in the largest market for photography in the future ... high performance cell phone photography. You could carry tiny Canon camera modules (24mm, 35mm, 50mm etc.) and flash modules (Xenon, LED, video) and just swap them around as required. Canon would not need to build phones ... just great photography modules ... to become a leader.

Here is a link for those interested in the concept; phones/phone modules should be arriving in early 2015:

http://motorolaara.com/2014/04/21/best-look-yet-at-googles-new-modular-smartphone-hd-pics/

May 17, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

I am not sure Canon is capable of making anything game changing - their upgrades are more incremental. As much as I like ragging on them, they are simply conservative by nature and playing the long game.

I am looking for a very specific camera from them - but I don't think my dream camera would be game changing.

May 17, 2014 at 09:49 PM
Aristophanes
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

cameron12x wrote:
The game changer for Canon (or Nikon for that matter) isn't about optics, dynamic range, megapixels, image quality, focusing performance, frames per second, or even video.

It's about price points and value.

Smartphones obliterated P&S dedicated cameras because the Swiss Army Knife smartphone is a multitool based on the fungibility of bits. What is captured can be communicated on one device, adding efficiency.

It's about getting the images to eyeballs as efficiently as possible in a single data stream. The DSLR-makers and their low-connectivity ignorance are still pining for the darkroom, or Photoshop on CPU juice. Now the prosumer crowd is moving beyond super apps like PS and LR; they want in on that efficiency.

May 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM
SchnellerGT
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Smart phones cannot (yet) offer the DoF, speed, resolution, and low-light sensitivity of a DSLR, so the case for the DSLR is still viable.

But what does Canon have to do to get me excited?

-A new FF sensor. Better than Sony. Better DR. Better in every way.
-I still think the sweet spot in terms of res is closer to 25-30mpx.
-Combine the above with their best AF and put it in a mirrorless body.
-Maintain the EF mount.
-Add in the latest in ETTL/wireless flash technology.
-Camera body should be similar to the size/weight of the Sony A7S.
-Built-in WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS connectivity options and a matching smartphone app that immediately receives a lower-res copy of the image/video I just took for upload to social media. It has to be seamless. The app would also permit remote operation.

Canon has the tech to do this. But they won't. They'll stagnate and watch their camera business die instead of give people what they want.

May 17, 2014 at 11:26 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

SchnellerGT wrote:
Smart phones cannot (yet) offer the DoF, speed, resolution, and low-light sensitivity of a DSLR, so the case for the DSLR is still viable.

But what does Canon have to do to get me excited?

-A new FF sensor. Better than Sony. Better DR. Better in every way.
-I still think the sweet spot in terms of res is closer to 25-30mpx.
-Combine the above with their best AF and put it in a mirrorless body.
-Maintain the EF mount.
-Add in the latest in ETTL/wireless flash technology.
-Camera body should be similar to the size/weight of the Sony A7S.
-Built-in WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS connectivity options and a matching smartphone
...Show more

+1. Many desire exactly this for quite some time now without response from Canon. The best what we can expect IMO is a new FF sensor similar to the current Sony Exmor sensor but not better, maybe even a step below. Probably they also add WiFi in the next cameras as standard.
You won't see a camera from Canon similar to the Sony A7 series in the near future.

May 18, 2014 at 02:19 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

It's getting pretty expensive to follow the digital upgrade path.

Whatever Canon comes out with next, it will have to be truly awesome to get me to buy it. Adding 1 or 2 features won't do it- it will have to be all or nothing.

And it should cost much less than a nice used car...

May 18, 2014 at 07:18 AM
rlappor
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

I'm not sure about a "gamechanger" but I would love to see wifi. As much as I love all of the pro features of a 1Dx, it would sure be nice to be able to post pics online straight from the camera as easily as I can on my cheap smartphone. It would also be great to have the eye focusing system that they had in the EOS-3. I'm still shocked that they never expanded on that system.

May 25, 2014 at 03:32 PM
noneone

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Game Changer? From which game? We already can see where pro cameras will go, the Sony's are giving a hint, but are just the beginning.

1) Sensors will get better, IQ, resolution, low light. Canon is behind here.
2) Cameras will get smaller. Canon is behind here.
3) AF will get better. Much better.
4) Cameras will become / displace video cameras at the consumer level (likely not the other way around)
5) Cameras will have more computer in them ... wifi, gps, touchscreen, etc. will all be standard

We will "soon" have a small camera, 65+ MP resolution, low noise high ISO, GPS, WIFI, massively awesome AF, high res fast movies. It will be small, light, and put the 1Dx to shame with performance. This is NOT a game changer camera, its simply where the tech is going.

Game changers?
1) Interface. Can we make it easy for photog novices to have similar level of control over their output as pros? Can we make it easier for pros to get more keepers? Creamy bokeh background portraits every time, or flip a switch and razor sharp portraits? Maybe not this exact example, but, easier to take awesome pictures interface.

2) Lenses. I agree with some earlier posters, the camera will be here. There will still be competition and room in the lens department. Canon glass is currently an advantage. ... but note the ease of manual focusing and lens adapters sony has brought to market now makes legacy lens a bit more competition for canons newer lenses .... Current L glass is also big and heavy. If canon churned out some smaller and lighter apsc / m mount type lenses, that were as good optically as their top end L glass (lighter, not as weather proof maybe) and a camera could use either the full frame L glass or the newer cheaper lighter glass, that could be a game changer, allowing easy entry into great lenses, and step up path to Pro weather sealed glass. EOS M showed the possibility of great cheap light glass, but, was almost a separate system that didn't leverage older L glass well.

3) Get there first .... well, would game change the market. Think if Canon partnered up with Sony, got exclusive sony sensors and miniturization, put their glass and user interface experience / experience with what pros really want .... think small sony nex full frame with canon interface and canon glass natively. Could game change / disrupt the market. Eos-NEX version 3 ....

4) Of course, all of this becomes moot if I get a 110MP 16mm to 500mm F1.2 razor sharp camera with awesome AF built into my android phone.

May 25, 2014 at 06:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

dhphoto wrote:
I have no interest in Canon's profits whatsoever.

And naturally R&D is paid for by what exactly, good will? You want the game changing camera, but think it'll just magically appear. Why would Canon invest huge dollars to make a very expensive camera in a world where DSLR sales are tanking and profits plunging?

Canon has already reduced R&D spending over the last few years due to the downturn in sales and profits and they are doing a lot better than Sony.

If Canon sees continual decline in camera sales, ultimately they will put less money into that division and look for growth elsewhere. They are more diverse than people realise and are already moving rapidly into some new fields (for them).

May 25, 2014 at 06:51 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

Catching up to the 2 yr old D800/D800(e) would be a start

May 25, 2014 at 06:59 PM
bogatyr
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

jctriguy wrote:
What is more likely is a shift away from 'full-frame' cameras for the masses (high end users will still stay with FF or MF). We will quickly get to a point with IQ that there is nothing inherently better about a 35mm sensor size, except tradition and a stock of lenses designed for that format. If people truly embrace the small camera design, they will move more to smaller sensors and the associated smaller lenses and bodies. With the advance of technology, the image quality of smaller sensors will get to such a high level that the differences will be
...Show more

1. The masses, or the majority of users of the type who buy one camera with one kit lens and rarely changes it, never embraced FF.

2. If we imagine a situation where there had been no 35 mm film, there would still be different sensor formats. Whereas there is nothing "special" about the 24 x 36 mm format, the thing is that it is larger than smaller formats - and like in film days the larger format will have definitive advantages.

3. A sensor size of 24 x 36 mm will always give a more capable tool than a sensor size of 15 x 22.5 mm within the same generation of sensors, not because of tradition or existing lenses, but simply because the format is bigger and collects more light.

4. The quality of smaller sensors will improve, and that is what we have seen in mobile phones too. These tiny sensors are far from as competent as larger sensors in cameras, but they have been improved to a point where the best mobile phones can deliver images that are superior to many above-average compact digitals that were popular three years ago.

5. However, the same technological improvements that have been done with and will be done with mobile phone sensors and APS-C as well as m4/3, can be done and will be done with 24 x 36 mm as well. Thus, the bigger sensor will retain its superiority and secure its position in the marketplace and as the natural choice over smaller sensors for those who shoot in many situations including available light, dusk and dawn or darker. There never was and will never be a time where 15 x 22.5 mm sensors will be equal to 24 x 36 mm sensors of the same generation, and in other words the relative differences will still be the same precisely because sensors of all sizes will undergo similar improvements over time. That means that a sensor of the 24 x 36 mm format will offer significantly greater performance than APS-C in the future too.

Bogatyr

May 25, 2014 at 07:01 PM
elicious
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

SL1 sized full-frame camera: $999

May 25, 2014 at 07:18 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What would be a game-changer for Canon

bogatyr wrote:
5. However, the same technological improvements that have been done with and will be done with mobile phone sensors and APS-C as well as m4/3, can be done and will be done with 24 x 36 mm as well.........That means that a sensor of the 24 x 36 mm format will offer significantly greater performance than APS-C in the future too.

Until the point where it is "good enough". At that point, where all technologies are giving people what they want, the more expensive will fail.

May 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.