Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              9       10       end
  

What would be a game-changer for Canon
  
 
tshore
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


DSLR sales are in decline. The P&S market has been destroyed by cell phones. What should Canon do as an alternative to watching one of its core markets slowly(?) become extinct? Here's one idea: fight cell phones that are cameras with cameras that are cell phones. Embed a cellular connectivity and a browser into DSLRs and P&Ss, combined with touch screen and basic photo editing capability in-camera (cropping, contrast, etc.). Allow people to easily post photos to Facebook, etc, directly from their DSLRs, the way cell phones do. Sure, consumers would need to pay for a cell data plan, but I think plenty of consumers who fork out $700-$2500 for DSLRs and double that or more for lenses, would be willing to pay a little extra every month to be able to share their pictures instantly. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't Canon or some other camera maker try this rather than passively observe their market's long-term decline?


May 17, 2014 at 02:32 PM
snapsy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


The smartphone market is incredibly competitive - none of the current camera makers would stand a chance. An easier solution would be a better camera Wifi implementation and Wifi-to-Cell gateway software implementation in existing smartphones.


May 17, 2014 at 02:38 PM
Richard Nye
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


If Canon came out with a mirrorless full frame camera with the performance of a 1Dx, or even 5D, they would change things for a long time.


May 17, 2014 at 02:39 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


Didn't Nokia do that before they went down the tubes and were absorbed into MS?

EBH



May 17, 2014 at 03:21 PM
Sneakyracer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


1 Series DSLR but with a slightly smaller body. In between say the current 1Dx and the 5D3. At least 36 MP with 14 stop DR. 1.3x and 1.6x crop modes with high speed capability (say 10-12fps) with superb AF. All priced at $4800.

In addition to that. A ILMC (Mirrorless) camera with similar sensor but at a lower price, again great AF is a must. ($2800)

That should do it for a long time. It's not that complicated.



May 17, 2014 at 03:39 PM
dhphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


40-50mb mirrorless 1DsX with class-leading dynamic range


May 17, 2014 at 03:54 PM
surf monkey
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


tshore wrote:
Here's one idea: fight cell phones that are cameras with cameras that are cell phones. Embed a cellular connectivity and a browser into DSLRs and P&Ss, combined with touch screen and basic photo editing capability in-camera (cropping, contrast, etc.). Allow people to easily post photos to Facebook, etc, directly from their DSLRs, the way cell phones do.


Why is this better than a current cell phone?
Why would anyone need this product?

Although I agree that better connectivity is a necessary upgrade to current camera offerings.



May 17, 2014 at 04:23 PM
surf monkey
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


So far this seems more like a wish list thread than one discussing what direction Canon should take there camera division for more profitability.


May 17, 2014 at 04:28 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


They should sponsor a NASCAR, Indy, F-1 and/or MotoGP team


May 17, 2014 at 04:32 PM
EOS20
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What would be a game-changer for Canon













May 17, 2014 at 04:39 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



retrofocus
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


I believe Canon will not change anything - they mainly target the market for videographers, wedding/event/sports shooters. It is a profitable market - for now. Other companies move in a different direction now or diversify - as seen now with Sony by releasing similar mirrorless FF camera models for different group of users which I find a very smart idea. Canon behaves like a dinosaur - even more than Nikon which at least tried to do something different with the D800E and the retro DSLR camera. Because of the large group of photographers in this commercial target market of Canon, the management there likely has no intention to innovate a lot or to make changes. This will work out in the short term, but can be very bad in the long run for Canon when others prove to be very successful in new markets which Canon does not include now and in the near future.


May 17, 2014 at 05:12 PM
jctriguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


dhphoto wrote:
40-50mb mirrorless 1DsX with class-leading dynamic range


Would it have class leading AF like all other 1D series cameras?



May 17, 2014 at 05:32 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


EOS20 wrote:


http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2011/05/eos0.jpg



Windows Vista and a DVD burner! It's a bit dated.

EBH



May 17, 2014 at 05:35 PM
mogul
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


Bite the bullet and start buying Sony sensors and processors like Nikon does. A sensor is like film, all cameras used the same products.


May 17, 2014 at 05:43 PM
jctriguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


retrofocus wrote:
I believe Canon will not change anything - they mainly target the market for videographers, wedding/event/sports shooters. It is a profitable market - for now. Other companies move in a different direction now or diversify - as seen now with Sony by releasing similar mirrorless FF camera models for different group of users which I find a very smart idea. Canon behaves like a dinosaur - even more than Nikon which at least tried to do something different with the D800E and the retro DSLR camera. Because of the large group of photographers in this commercial target market of Canon,
...Show more

The Sony imaging division is down from 18 billion to 1 billion (yen) profit. Nikon has missed their targets and profits are falling and have announced a restructuring.

Sounds like all the camera makers are a similar position right now.

Often, the company that forges a steady path comes out ahead. Some of the companies are trying to fire out a dozen different products and never really see things through to the end. Sony has released so many 'innovative' ideas over the years, none of which are still around in any variation.

And don't forget that the largest group of photographers don't fit into a category, they are just people who use a camera for anything and everything that comes up. Not everyone fits into your categories of wedding/events/sports or video



May 17, 2014 at 05:45 PM
mogul
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


Sneakyracer wrote:
1 Series DSLR but with a slightly smaller body. In between say the current 1Dx and the 5D3. At least 36 MP with 14 stop DR. 1.3x and 1.6x crop modes with high speed capability (say 10-12fps) with superb AF. All priced at $4800.

In addition to that. A ILMC (Mirrorless) camera with similar sensor but at a lower price, again great AF is a must. ($2800)

That should do it for a long time. It's not that complicated.

The new Sony A7s already has 15.3 DR.



May 17, 2014 at 05:51 PM
15Bit
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


Trying to turn a camera into a phone is not a winning idea: The primary purpose of a phone is to be a portable device that makes calls, sends messages etc. Almost everyone has one, and to be competitive a phone needs to perform it's core function well. Adding an adequate camera adds value to this, as it allows owners to reduce the number of devices they carry around without too many compromises in terms of capability.

The primary purpose of a camera is to take pictures, preferably of high quality. They tend to be more bulky than phones and nowhere near as many people have them as have smartphones. Adding phone capability to the camera does not reduce the number of devices the owner carries, because the camera is too bulky to act as a genuine phone replacement. The owner will carry the phone anyway. Additionally, the owner needs to pay for an additional SIM card for the camera. It is hard to see why people would flock to buy a camera with phone functionality.

I think in reality Canon and Nikon simply have to accept that the camera business is in decline and there is nothing they can do about it. They will have to give up the low end P&S market entirely, focus on higher value products and re-adjust to the reality that the world has moved on and their market is much smaller. And they need to keep their eyes open for the next disruptive technology so as not to follow Kodak into the history books. Something like Light Field imaging in a smartphone would do the trick i think.

Edited on May 17, 2014 at 05:56 PM · View previous versions



May 17, 2014 at 05:51 PM
jctriguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


tshore wrote:
DSLR sales are in decline. The P&S market has been destroyed by cell phones. What should Canon do as an alternative to watching one of its core markets slowly(?) become extinct? Here's one idea: fight cell phones that are cameras with cameras that are cell phones. Embed a cellular connectivity and a browser into DSLRs and P&Ss, combined with touch screen and basic photo editing capability in-camera (cropping, contrast, etc.). Allow people to easily post photos to Facebook, etc, directly from their DSLRs, the way cell phones do. Sure, consumers would need to pay for a cell data plan, but
...Show more

They already have wifi in most/many new DSLR cameras. I can't really see the point of being able to post images to FB in areas that don't have wifi. And, with wifi, you can use your current smartphone as a hotspot, no need to have cell plans in both devices.

What is more likely is a shift away from 'full-frame' cameras for the masses (high end users will still stay with FF or MF). We will quickly get to a point with IQ that there is nothing inherently better about a 35mm sensor size, except tradition and a stock of lenses designed for that format. If people truly embrace the small camera design, they will move more to smaller sensors and the associated smaller lenses and bodies. With the advance of technology, the image quality of smaller sensors will get to such a high level that the differences will be marginal compared to FF.

If I were Canon, I would look more closely at APS-c and the smaller 1inch sensors like the RX100 design. The camera makers can still compete with smartphones in the P&S market if they have very high quality in pocketable sizes (truly pocketable like the original RX100).



May 17, 2014 at 05:53 PM
dhphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


jctriguy wrote:
Would it have class leading AF like all other 1D series cameras?


yes



May 17, 2014 at 06:25 PM
dhphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What would be a game-changer for Canon


surf monkey wrote:
So far this seems more like a wish list thread than one discussing what direction Canon should take there camera division for more profitability.


The OP said 'game changer'.

The only Canon I would buy is one that would do things my current 7 dslr's can't - a pro level high meg camera with improved DR.

I have no interest in Canon's profits whatsoever.



May 17, 2014 at 06:28 PM
1
       2       3              9       10       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              9       10       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password