Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Formula 1

Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Formula 1

Hi there

I'm going to shoot the Grand Prix Formula One in 3 weks.
Can you give me some advices or tips that would help a "newbie"?
In terms of gear, best spots, what to avoid? etc etc...

thanks

Jean-Yves

May 16, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Formula 1

Gear. Take what you have, shoot long, shoot wide, just shoot, shoot, shoot.

What to avoid? Getting hit by cars. That is THE most important thing.

You are welcome.

Matt

May 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM
f1photog

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Formula 1

Shoot from as many different places as possible. Canada can be tough with the fences, but look for others that are shooting and see where they go. Be cognizant of your backgrounds and use them to your advantage.

May 19, 2014 at 01:49 AM
Stripper
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Formula 1

f1photog wrote:
Be cognizant of your backgrounds and use them to your advantage.

What he said! Most good motorsport photos are more about the context than the cars. Unless the cars are doing something really amazing shoot scenes.

JohnCote

May 19, 2014 at 08:09 AM
Red G8R
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Formula 1

I will be shooting there too in a couple weeks. I've never shot motor sports and it's also my first time to the Montreal track. I'll be practicing while they practice on the first two days. My plan is to use my D4/300 f2.8 mostly at 2.8 on a monopod. I will also carry the TC2 and 70-200 since I'm not sure where I'll be on the track and the Fuji XT1/18-55 on my hip for any close shots.

May 25, 2014 at 07:47 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Formula 1

I'll also be at Montreal F1 in a weeks time. I will be using Canon 1DX and 300 f/2.8 +/- my 1.4 and 2.0 TCs depending on where I shoot from. I'll also have my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II to use for certain wider shots. I've shot at Montreal 3 other times, always as a fan, never with access to the track.

Other than shooting from your grandstand seat, I found that you can get some decent shots from the hairpin area as the hill is high enough to be shooting over the fence but still in line of sight with the cars. I've posted 4 shots from that position from 2012 (I didn't attend last year due to other commitments).

As far as grandstands go, I've sat at the hairpin, at Senna curve and at the main straight. The best grandstand for photography was the hairpin. The main straight is not good for photography except for shooting into the pits. The Senna curve was okay but the year I sat there was the 4hr race with rain all the time so not much photography went on

I usually put away the camera gear on Sunday and just enjoy the race but it is fun to photograph on Friday and Saturday and to see the support races.

FF 300mm from beside the hairpin grandstand

Same thing, FF 300mm

FF 420mm from the same spot

FF 420mm, the limit of the fence

May 28, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Formula 1

thanks guys!!!

Jun 03, 2014 at 05:31 PM
Viper2005

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Formula 1

Be near the hairpin turns, where the cars have to slow down.

Jun 03, 2014 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.