Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

Lapada wrote:
Pre-order is up in Canada. $4369 + 13% tax ... ouch! I'm about to pre order 1x kit. If I need extra heads i'll stick with d1 heads since I don't see myself using more then 1-2 lights on location. Anything more then 2 lights is in studio or indoor with power.

Can't wait to get my hand on these babies and test their potential!

what do you feel these will do for you over less pricy alternatives?

May 23, 2014 at 09:06 PM
316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

Not my intention to answer for others, but I don't know that there is a true alternative to the B1. Nothing that I am aware of offers the same, completely wireless and clean design. An Einstein unit for example, would require plugging into VML, etc. Not difficult to do, but still more cumbersome. The larger gains, in my opinion, are the profoto mount system, variety of modifiers, and incredible consistency. I've given the B1 a good test run, and will be buying at least two. Expensive yes. But certainly if making a living with these tools, money well spent. To date, I have never used anything so fast and convenient to use. I will never replace my pack and head systems, but the B1 will be my choice for quick, on-the-fly shooting.

May 24, 2014 at 02:58 AM
bka20d
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

316shooter wrote:
Not my intention to answer for others, but I don't know that there is a true alternative to the B1. Nothing that I am aware of offers the same, completely wireless and clean design. An Einstein unit for example, would require plugging into VML, etc. Not difficult to do, but still more cumbersome. The larger gains, in my opinion, are the profoto mount system, variety of modifiers, and incredible consistency. I've given the B1 a good test run, and will be buying at least two. Expensive yes. But certainly if making a living with these tools, money well spent. To
...Show more

No ttl capability, but Priolite MBX units are also cordless.
http://www.priolite.com/en/products/priolites.html

May 24, 2014 at 03:29 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

316shooter wrote:
Not my intention to answer for others, but I don't know that there is a true alternative to the B1. Nothing that I am aware of offers the same, completely wireless and clean design. An Einstein unit for example, would require plugging into VML, etc. Not difficult to do, but still more cumbersome. The larger gains, in my opinion, are the profoto mount system, variety of modifiers, and incredible consistency. I've given the B1 a good test run, and will be buying at least two. Expensive yes. But certainly if making a living with these tools, money well spent. To
...Show more

Oddly, my small amount of Profoto gear I'd run with survived maybe 1/10 as well as my PCB stuff which, undoubtedly, took far more abuse given it's much lower replacement cost - yet the PCB stuff has yet to fail me or give in to my acts of clumsiness.

May 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM
316shooter
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

Naturally everyone with have varying opinions and experiences. Regarding durability of Profoto, I can only speak to gear I've owned long-term. Over the past 12 years, I've not had any piece of Profoto gear fail. One head was dropped from high on a boom by an assistant who failed to attach it properly. But even then, the head still worked. Only the glass dome was broken. Beyond that, only the normal wear such as flash tube replacement has been needed. While I cannot confirm the B1 will be just as durable, I have full confidence it will. That proven durability is a primary reason Profoto is stocked in rental houses. None of that is in any way a slam on PCB products. In fact, I believe that gear is a great value. Only a response to an earlier question about the advantages of B1 over less expensive alternatives.

May 25, 2014 at 01:04 PM
Lapada

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

jeremy_clay wrote:
what do you feel these will do for you over less pricy alternatives?

Light is light essentially so the features is what got me sold. What these will do over less pricey alternatives for me is portability and quick set up. The battery on the head and no wires is what sold me as I can see these saving me time which is a big plus. To me the extra money spent to have convenience and save time is worth it in the long run. If the B1 wasn't introduced I would still be happily using my Einstein w/ VML as I loved the set up also for on location and price point. It's more of a preference/convenience purchase I think as I know I can do same work with other lights + battery pack. If you have profoto modifiers also that helps makes the choice a lot easier.

May 28, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Lapada

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

I got my b1 kit yesterday but one head came doa ... Lets see how fast they fix this. Can't wait to start using these tho! the wait killed me and now I got to wait some more... I'm one of the unlucky ones I guess since this doesn't happen much according to the sale/service person.

Jun 13, 2014 at 03:24 AM
stehophoto

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

would love to pickup one for my next assignment... the kit would be nice!

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

Lapada wrote:
Light is light essentially so the features is what got me sold.

Light with features.. that makes light not light... then? Especially with the zoom reflector, camera integration built-in battery and no need for a light meter. I think the B1's are very useable.

Too many people compare cost rather than benefit. Cost is a one time hit, whereas benefit just keeps on giving. I 'could' do everything Manually, but I don't. So in hindsight its nice to have the choice and I imagine the Profoto range improvements won't only stop at the B1.

Jun 16, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Lapada

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

ukphotographer wrote:
Too many people compare cost rather than benefit. Cost is a one time hit, whereas benefit just keeps on giving.

You pretty much summed it up right there. I totally agree with you! Now I can't wait to get my b1 one back tomorrow since I had one head DOA but I didn't have to wait to long for a replacement just a 2 business day wait.

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:28 PM
MlebrunPhotog

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

i want two of those arg !

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:22 PM
cambyses
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

Looks like the Joe McNally has joined the B1 camp too:
http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2014/06/26/profoto-at-the-opera/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+joemcnally+%28Joe+McNally%27s+Blog%29

Jun 26, 2014 at 09:07 PM
jpsamora

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

I am hoping someone here can help me out. I am looking to get my first kit mainly for taking group and individual photos for sports leagues. What else would I need to get in order to make this kit work if using a Canon 7D or Canon 5D3?

Right now all I have used for this type of photo is a Canon 430ex and 600EX-RT. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jun 30, 2014 at 04:10 PM
DanRiv25

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

I love my kit! especially with the magnum reflector.

Jul 01, 2014 at 03:36 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

Nikon Rumors mentions that they will introduce the Nikon remote soon and the fact that Joe McNally is using it supports this... I am crossing my fingers

Jul 02, 2014 at 04:37 AM
cambyses
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke

hijazist wrote:
Nikon Rumors mentions that they will introduce the Nikon remote soon and the fact that Joe McNally is using it supports this... I am crossing my fingers

Yeah, I am guessing Joe already has a pre-release version of their TTL-N remote.

Jul 02, 2014 at 05:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password