Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke
  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke
Profoto recently announced its B1 Location Kit. Watch as Karolina Henke uses the Profoto B1 kit on a fashion shooting.

Karolina prepares her shoots in detail. But she considers it a failure if she sticks to the plan. She believes her most powerful images capture something unforeseen and honest. Knowing this, we asked her to try out the fast and easy Profoto B1 Location Kit. Here is how she put it to good use.

Pre-order the Profoto B1 kit at B&H Photo. ($3,950)






Karolina Henke





Karolina Henke




May 16, 2014 at 04:18 PM
jeremy_clay
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


4 geez.


May 16, 2014 at 04:36 PM
cambyses
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Looks like a good kit. I almost bought one but I am now thinking perhaps I should just wait for a few more months until they sort out HSS and Nikon iTTL support, and by then, who knows, they may even offer D1-like kits too which may include Air Remote as well as stands/umbrellas and a nice bigger bag that could fit them all.


May 16, 2014 at 04:38 PM
paregorike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Too expensive for me. I'd rather spend it on Cheetah CL360's. Lighter, smaller, less expensive.


Ron





May 16, 2014 at 06:52 PM
Iluxa007
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Einstein 640 W/s + Vegabond mini battery = $740
Profoto B1 = $2,000

I can control power settings right from the cyber commander attached to the camera.
So, to have TTL, I need to pay $1,260 more?

NO THANK YOU.



May 16, 2014 at 09:01 PM
ugdog
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Yeah baby! If I buy 2 B1's do I get 2 assistants? (hahaha, just kidding), lovely shoot.


May 16, 2014 at 10:43 PM
cambyses
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke




Iluxa007 wrote:
Einstein 640 W/s + Vegabond mini battery = $740
Profoto B1 = $2,000

I can control power settings right from the cyber commander attached to the camera.
So, to have TTL, I need to pay $1,260 more?

NO THANK YOU.


More important than TTL, may be build quality, reliability, shot-to-shot consistency, and most important of all, not worrying about cables and battery packs. Is that all worth the extra $$? I am not 100% sure either but it may come down to personal decision, much like why some buy Ferrari's and others buy Toyota's. At the end of the day, both can take you from point A to point B.



May 16, 2014 at 11:16 PM
rico
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Great thing about the B1: more AcuteB packs on the 2ndary market.


May 16, 2014 at 11:22 PM
jeremy_clay
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke




cambyses wrote:
More important than TTL, may be build quality, reliability, shot-to-shot consistency, and most important of all, not worrying about cables and battery packs. Is that all worth the extra $$? I am not 100% sure either but it may come down to personal decision, much like why some buy Ferrari's and others buy Toyota's. At the end of the day, both can take you from point A to point B.


Comparing Ferraris to Toyotas to cite the consistency and reliability of the Ferrari is a terrible contrast.



May 17, 2014 at 02:17 AM
hijazist
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Profoto products are expensive and we all know that, so comparing Profoto to Einstein based on price ONLY is really pointless since the price range between PCB & Profoto products already has a big gap regardless of which model you compare. It's almost like comparing Tamron lenses to Canon lenses (ex: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC vs Canon 24-70 II) based on Price. Now why there is a price gap is another story.

Also, saying that the "Einstein 640 W/s + Vegabond mini battery = $740" doesn't tell the whole story and actually beats the purpose since the whole point of the B1 is to be cordless and without a battery pack, and that's its main selling point. The Einsteins are indeed great lights and amazing value for the money but until PB comes up with a cordless strobe with TTL we cannot compare the two lights. Similar is comparing a laptop and a desktop computer (I really hate such similes since they're not accurate at all but please bear them just to demonstrate my point

If you compare the B1 to the D1 then the price of the B1 makes more sense, because you get:

- TTL
- Cordless
- No battery pack
- "Potentially" HSS

These may not be worth much for some but at least for me it's well worth it.



May 17, 2014 at 03:03 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



jamesmorophoto
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


the b1 has a battery pack built into the strobe. it only gets around 200 full power shots vs 400-500 on th vagabond mini. the Einstein is a hands down winner. no one that shoots mono lights uses ttl. it's a gimmick, at best.


May 18, 2014 at 04:45 AM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


jeremy_clay wrote:
Comparing Ferraris to Toyotas to cite the consistency and reliability of the Ferrari is a terrible contrast.


True, I imagine the consistency and reliability of the Ferraris is pretty horrible especially when compared with the Toyotas. Not a fair comparison.





May 19, 2014 at 03:43 AM
mldNYC
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


It's def not a cheap light, and if ttl is a gimmick it's one I don't have regrets paying for. I like the ttl on the b1, makes shooting kids that are running around in and out of different lighting outdoors seamless. Plus changing the aperture on the fly for different looks and group shots is seamless as well.


May 19, 2014 at 03:26 PM
hijazist
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


I'd pay to see a photog taking meter readings at the dance floor, chasing a skateboarder on the slope or at a basketball court during a game

People used to view in-camera metering as a gimmick, and the light meter is the gimmick now to some.



May 19, 2014 at 05:16 PM
cambyses
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke



jeremy_clay wrote:
Comparing Ferraris to Toyotas to cite the consistency and reliability of the Ferrari is a terrible contrast.


Oh, well, perhaps I didn't use a very good example, but I hope you still got the point I was trying to make. And BTW, if budget wasn't a concern, I would still take a Ferrari over a Toyota any day despite whatever you guys see as reliability issues of a Ferrari



May 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


cambyses wrote:
Oh, well, perhaps I didn't use a very good example, but I hope you still got the point I was trying to make. And BTW, if budget wasn't a concern, I would still take a Ferrari over a Toyota any day despite whatever you guys see as reliability issues of a Ferrari


I agree. The Ferrari is for the most part a work of art as the Toyota is more utilitarian.



May 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Lapada
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Even tho this kit is up there in price I'm still sold on getting them. I own both Einsteins w/ VLM and Profoto D1. I like the Einsteins and how well they perform but I love profoto's build quality and mounting system. This is a luxury purchase for me since light is light but the conveniences i'll gain w/ no wires, ttl, quick set up and HSS later on is what I'm paying a lot extra. Can't wait till this kit is available in Canada!


May 20, 2014 at 04:58 AM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


Lapada wrote:
Even tho this kit is up there in price I'm still sold on getting them. I own both Einsteins w/ VLM and Profoto D1. I like the Einsteins and how well they perform but I love profoto's build quality and mounting system. This is a luxury purchase for me since light is light but the conveniences i'll gain w/ no wires, ttl, quick set up and HSS later on is what I'm paying a lot extra. Can't wait till this kit is available in Canada!


I'm thinking the same as you and further thoughts are 2 kits since I usually use no more than 3 the fourth would be a back-up. 3 light stands and a couple of octaboxes, umbrellas later would make for a highly usable and convenient kit, imho of course.



May 21, 2014 at 07:00 AM
stuuke
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


If you're not a Profoto shooter then the B1 might not offer that much for you but if you're already invested in the system then it's a no-brainer. The price is less than the AcuteB2 and offers more in performance (power control from remote, ttl, and freeze mode)


May 22, 2014 at 03:26 PM
Lapada
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Profoto B1 Location Kit on location with Karolina Henke


shutterbug guy wrote:
I'm thinking the same as you and further thoughts are 2 kits since I usually use no more than 3 the fourth would be a back-up. 3 light stands and a couple of octaboxes, umbrellas later would make for a highly usable and convenient kit, imho of course.


Pre-order is up in Canada. $4369 + 13% tax ... ouch! I'm about to pre order 1x kit. If I need extra heads i'll stick with d1 heads since I don't see myself using more then 1-2 lights on location. Anything more then 2 lights is in studio or indoor with power.

Can't wait to get my hand on these babies and test their potential!



May 22, 2014 at 08:00 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password