Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Review
Klaus at photozone.de posted his Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC review.

Here is an excerpt:

"The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM | A produced nothing short of stunning resolution figures in the MTF lab. The center performance is already excellent at f/1.8 but downright outstanding between f/2.8 and f/5.6. However, the glory doesn't stop here - the borders are easily on a very good level at large apertures and even touch excellent levels at medium aperture settings."

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM at B&H Photo ($799)

May 16, 2014 at 04:23 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Thanks, Fred. Early adopter and this mirrors my darkside experience. It's like having a handful of
primes on your camera...only BETTER. They've really stepped up their game with the A, S, & C line.

May 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM
gwaww
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

This lens is a major reason why I still have a ASP-C camera. It is the perfect indoor family event lens.

May 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Ok just throwing this out as an interesting question.

Does anyone know what type of crop lens this is ?

Ie can it ever fill the frame when zoomed in a bit like a 10-22 or 18-55 IS , or is it like a 17-55 that never fills the frame ?

If it can fill the frame then it should be good on a FF from around 27mm .

May 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

It filled the frame at 30-35mm on my 5D. There was vignetting, but it was acceptable to to.

May 16, 2014 at 01:06 PM
sanjayram

p.1 #6 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

nice technology for the first time seeing them i am unaware of these things but good to know it now

May 22, 2014 at 06:23 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

dpreview had a lot of focusing issues. I wonder if anyone who owns this lens feels differently

May 22, 2014 at 07:13 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

kevindar wrote:
dpreview had a lot of focusing issues. I wonder if anyone who owns this lens feels differently

Lots of morons over there As mentioned, in on the darkside and it's been nothing short of amazing.
Nobody has 'em in stock and everyone I know with one (or 2) loves it. I've nailed multiple split second
ops in less than ideal light. To this day, I pull up the shots and can't help but exclaim "holy crap" more
than you might imagine. Yeah, there's a Wow! or two thrown there in for good measure.

May 22, 2014 at 08:44 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.1 #9 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Doesn't dpreview use that silly testing company that tests dslr's without lenses?

May 23, 2014 at 02:58 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

kevindar wrote:

Mine had a lot of focussing issues as well, but when I MFA'd it with the dock, all those issues went away. Completely.

May 23, 2014 at 03:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

lowa2 wrote:
Mine had a lot of focussing issues as well, but when I MFA'd it with the dock, all those issues went away. Completely.

The only Sigma Global Vision lens I've seen people complain that they couldn't get dialed in even with the dock was the 35 Art, and it hasn't been that many people.

May 23, 2014 at 03:11 AM
dadgummit
• •
p.1 #12 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Well add me into the group of people having trouble with this lens even with the sigma dock. On my copy I just could not get it dialed in to get infinity focus. It has settings for 18, 24, 28 and 35mm. Every time I would get one of the 4 focal lengths dialed in the others would change. The numbers on the computer would not change just the lens' calibration.

Let me explain what I mean because the above sentence is vague. The best I could do is perfect focus on 28 and 35mm, good focus on 24mm and terrible on 18mm. If I then try to adjust the 18mm channel only leaving the mfa values on the other 3 channels alone I can get good focus on 18mm but then the other 3 are not sharp... The MFA numbers did not change but infinity focus would either be badly front or back focused on the other lengths

I spent 3 hours yesterday messing with it and there is no middle ground on this copy. On the other hand if you are only looking to take pictures close up like indoor distances it was perfectly calibrated at +10 mfa on all of the closer values.

The funny thing is this lens is never in stock anywhere yet mine was labled as 2013 manufacture. I hate to say but Sigma is creating artificial demand by rationing supplies or mine would have been sold months ago.

May 24, 2014 at 05:15 PM
codyconway
• •
p.1 #13 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Ok just throwing this out as an interesting question.

Does anyone know what type of crop lens this is ?

Ie can it ever fill the frame when zoomed in a bit like a 10-22 or 18-55 IS , or is it like a 17-55 that never fills the frame ?

If it can fill the frame then it should be good on a FF from around 27mm .

http://ccwildphotography.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/sigma-18-35-f1-8-hsm-dc-art-on-canon-aps-h/

I did test with my own on an APS-H and FF canon dslr. I love the lens and it is permanently mounted to my 70D.

May 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

dadgummit wrote:
Well add me into the group of people having trouble with this lens even with the sigma dock. On my copy I just could not get it dialed in to get infinity focus. It has settings for 18, 24, 28 and 35mm. Every time I would get one of the 4 focal lengths dialed in the others would change. The numbers on the computer would not change just the lens' calibration.

Let me explain what I mean because the above sentence is vague. The best I could do is perfect focus on 28 and 35mm, good focus on 24mm and
...Show more

Did you set up an MFA testing jig for 4 different distances (at 4 focal lengths)? The distance numbers in the dock software are what you have to set up your target away from the camera. The important thing to remember is that the MFA numbers in the dock software are not necessarily the same number that the camera MFA says.

In other words, do a DOT tune method at one focal length and distance , note the MFA value, set it back to 0 in the camera and try to achieve that same sharpness by adjusting the dock MFA value. Once you figure out the scaling factor between in camera MFA and dock MFA, adjust the dock MFA according to your data from the in camera MFA .

It sounds complicated, and took me 3 hours to tune, but it meant me using the lens almost 0% because of focus issues to almost 100% when my newborn was born!

Charles

May 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.1 #15 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

lowa2 wrote:
Did you set up an MFA testing jig for 4 different distances (at 4 focal lengths)? The distance numbers in the dock software are what you have to set up your target away from the camera. The important thing to remember is that the MFA numbers in the dock software are not necessarily the same number that the camera MFA says.

In other words, do a DOT tune method at one focal length and distance , note the MFA value, set it back to 0 in the camera and try to achieve that same sharpness by adjusting the dock MFA
...Show more

I never had any luck using focus charts. For infinity focus I just go to my back yard and shoot some palm trees across the soccer field. Besides, I don't think any MFA jig can help a lens this lens.

Like I said above if I dial in 35mm and then start adjusting 18mm for good focus 35mm will no longer be in correct focus even though none of the numbers in the 35mm row were changed. Like I learned with the "Sigma lottery" years ago if the lens is doing weird things it is best to just send it back and get another.

I agree the dock is not complicated when my brother in law got his new 50mm f1.4 A we dialed that one in perfectly. Now that is a nice lens!! I am jealous.

May 25, 2014 at 03:41 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

dadgummit wrote:
I never had any luck using focus charts. For infinity focus I just go to my back yard and shoot some palm trees across the soccer field. Besides, I don't think any MFA jig can help a lens this lens.

Like I said above if I dial in 35mm and then start adjusting 18mm for good focus 35mm will no longer be in correct focus even though none of the numbers in the 35mm row were changed. Like I learned with the "Sigma lottery" years ago if the lens is doing weird things it is best to just send it
...Show more

I dont use focus charts, I use a moire inducing pattern. Also, the lens uses all the data at all the distances for its calibration. It's worthless to do a partial calibration, even if it does focus ok at certain FL and distances.

May 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.1 #17 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

How does a moire inducing pattern help find the correct MFA when the only issues I have is with infinity focus? Anything within 10-15 feet the lens focuses perfectly. At the distances where this lens is having issues 50-100 feet there is just not enough magnification even at 35mm to make a moire inducing pattern work.

May 25, 2014 at 04:48 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

The lens uses the data at a those focal lengths as references. If you look at the software, it asks for correction at 0.92ft, 1.2ft, 1.75ft and infinity. Using those corrections it applies camera specific corrections to the lens.

Of course, at infinity you can't use a moire inducing pattern, but you can still get a set of infinity values on a high contrast subject.

May 25, 2014 at 05:08 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.1 #19 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

Well, you can scratch what I said about the 18-35's issues. It seems to be a 70D issue with fast lenses instead. When I tried to shoot my 70-200 2.8 II, and my 85mm f1.8 at infinity i got the same bad results. My 5d3 has no issues with these lenses so I figure it is the body and it seems like I am not alone:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1354075

May 25, 2014 at 08:31 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Photozone Review

What about using Live View? The 70D should be quick enough with an HSM lens to get perfect shots, assuming your subject isn't moving too terribly fast.

May 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password