Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              16       17       end

Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

JaKo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Came across this fairly interesting writing about Summilux-R 80. Hopefully some may relate to OP 'issue'.

It's not an easy lens to shoot with, focus (much easier with Sony EVF+magnification than FF DSLR I used, so 1.5/1.6 crop shooters shouldn't judge [or sell the 80!!!] before getting it focussed on a more convenient camera.

Lastly, it's not an easy lens to cary either (by M standards)!

But you should cary it, just in case...

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:14 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Greggf wrote:
Really, really nice images Derek. The curly hair in BW does it, though...

Dad's all over this forum will be climbing the ropes to get at the Lux 35 Pre-ASPH, now...

+1

I'm curious when you got a 35 lux and for what camera?

I ask because I know how you are really loving the RX1 at 35mm.

I'd guess you bought the 35 lux as a normal for one of the sony aps-c models.....

How do you like it on the A7?

and what camera was used for those last gorgeous shots?

Can't believe how your daughter has grown

a mandler lens:

L1016813 by unoh7, 50 cron f/8

my new grand nephew and one of his doting grandmas

Jul 20, 2014 at 02:11 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Original photographer's composition:

Alt takes

Jul 20, 2014 at 02:47 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

fantastic shots jack!

Greggf wrote:
Really, really nice images Derek. The curly hair in BW does it, though...

Dad's all over this forum will be climbing the ropes to get at the Lux 35 Pre-ASPH, now...

thanks, it's more of a husbands than dads thing. the lux has by far the highest ratio of images of my wife that she likes versus doesn't like than any other lens on aps-c (rokkor 58/1.2 comes in second). so far it appears the same will be true on FF. must be that whole mandler glow thing...

uhoh7 wrote:
I'm curious when you got a 35 lux and for what camera?

I ask because I know how you are really loving the RX1 at 35mm.

I'd guess you bought the 35 lux as a normal for one of the sony aps-c models.....

How do you like it on the A7?

and what camera was used for those last gorgeous shots?

Can't believe how your daughter has grown

all those shots are with the a7. i am just borrowing the lens from a friend to use on my a7. i shot with it for a while on the nex-7 too and loved it (haven't posted those here due to the OP's FF preference).

just like i believe in having many 50s i also believe in having many 35s (i like the 35mm focal length better though). the rx1 easily outperforms the lux in every aspect except distortion (the lux is also much easier to focus on running children), but they have very different character, and i'm generally more interested in character than perfection. if i had to choose only one it would be the rx1, but it would be extremely close. if i had to pick one lens for the a7 at this point it would definitely be the 35 lux pre-asph.

some shots with it that remind me of corposant:

and some silly family shots:

Jul 20, 2014 at 07:13 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Haha, that kid is an actor, send him to Hollywood A sneer like the best of them. He reminds me of Harrison Ford.

That 35 Lux has such a heavy dose of spherical aberration, but it somehow looks really nice sometimes. I am not a fan of those shots with heavily ringed boke bubbles though.

Jul 20, 2014 at 07:44 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Jako: very convincing images indeed.

I am eyeballing an A7 since the prices have come down quite a bit. The R80 is a very intriguing lens, normally I seek out to eliminate background as much as possible but with the R80 I find that the background can be integrated as an effect, almost regardless of how busy it is. That doesn't work well with my other favorite lenses, like most of the Planars I have had.

Jul 20, 2014 at 07:51 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

The only Mandler design lens I've had was the 90 Cron-M (v3). It did have a certain quality wide open, but I remember using it mostly stopped down as it had a very Zeiss-like rendering at f/5.6 and above.

Here's an example of one that I consider to be extremely "Zeiss-ish":

Interestingly enough, if you pixel peep the IQ isn't amazing. There is quite a bit of CA going on at the edges even at f/8. It was one of the reasons why I exchanged it for a newer 90 Cron AA. A bit unexpectedly I found myself preferring the AA wide open, but not stopped down - although it was clearly superior in terms of raw IQ. My conclusion was that the AA lacks whatever it is that the 90 Cron V3 and the Zeiss 100mm Makro Planar have in common. It's probably a question of micro contrast at a certain spatial frequency, but I don't know..

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Thank you Derek. Indeed, your newborn kinda looks like Harrison Ford. Now there is a chance for continuation of 'Indiana Jones' saga

Thanks for your contribution here, denoir. I do recall following your comments when deciding myself on Leica glass and this is so true:

denoir wrote:
.... One should really get two sets of Leica lenses - one with modern ASPHs and the other one with classic Mandler designs. The newer lenses may be optically superior but the older ones certainly have a lot going for them in terms of drawing style.

kosmoskatten: I am positive you will be perfectly happy with A7. Having 'the rest of a frame' on FF will make a big difference
Agree on eliminating busy backgrounds. The two shots of a girl sitting on rocks are waaay too cluttered even despite model/background colour differences! (it was another photog's composition, hence my remark in the post)

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:49 PM
ebookman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Sony A7r with 90mm Leica Elmarit-R

Jul 20, 2014 at 08:57 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Another R80 picture, window light, indoors. Around f1.6 or so.

ToveR0123742 by koruNZ, on Flickr

B&W version, not much work done on it though:

ToveBWR0123742 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

carstenw wrote:
Haha, that kid is an actor, send him to Hollywood A sneer like the best of them. He reminds me of Harrison Ford.

That 35 Lux has such a heavy dose of spherical aberration, but it somehow looks really nice sometimes. I am not a fan of those shots with heavily ringed boke bubbles though.

thanks!

yeah, those rings usually bug me but they don't as much with this lens as my g45 or rokkor 50/1.4. i think part of it is the lower contrast and part of it is how thin they are compared to the rings from most other lens including the FLE. mostly though, they don't bother me because they only show up at short focus distances (kinda the reverse of the FLE that way), and stopping down past f/2 gets rid of them. sometimes i like them for a funky look too...

here's a bokeh bubble comparison at mfd (on a hawk's adapter) at f/1.4 and f/2:

here's a shot wide open that i'm shocked a lens of this age can pull off in terms of relative smoothness (neither my c/y nor the FLE would be as smooth at this distance) and on focus plane sharpness:

finally, a landscape at f/4:

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Very nice Derek! Hey! Would your friend who loaned you the 35 Lux from above shots, loan it to me too?? I'm only just in Santa Cruz!! JK...
Gregg

Jul 21, 2014 at 04:06 AM
ebookman
• • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Sony A7r with 90mm Leica Elmarit-R Here are three different kinds of exposures from this lens which I am really getting to like.

Jul 22, 2014 at 07:29 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Later this evening, A7r and 75 Lux f/1.4 @ 6400 ISO.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

80lux WO

I still use R with DSLR a lot, my favorite combo for my family pictures. I feel the 80/75lux's magic happen at close distance, after 3M they are noticeable sharper, but it is also more similar to regular 80-90ish range fast glass.

zero crop

Jul 22, 2014 at 05:32 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

^^^ Gents, great portraits with Lux 75/80!
Michael, have you reduced vignetting (I know you like to shoot WO)?

Jul 22, 2014 at 07:15 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Michael - what a great set! These are so much better than "posed" kid pics I find....

Jul 22, 2014 at 07:52 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Out of three lenses I used for this set (will post more in Sony Alpha 7 thread) Summicron-M 90 required zero PP. Will have to compare WB, exposure with other shots, but for now Mandler's shots clearly stand out.

Jul 23, 2014 at 04:03 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Multistitch of 18 images, shot @f/4 with B+W Kaesemann CPL

Jul 23, 2014 at 01:49 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Awesome stitchwork JaKo!
I need to get my skills up with them stitches.

Bumping the thread with one of the first shots with the recently acquired A7 and R80. Decided to ditch excess gear and it landed me an A7.

Yeah yeah, it's a Cat, but at least it is full frame and despite the muggy indoor light it has a little Mandler glow to it:

MGLOW246 by koruNZ, on Flickr

It is not showcasing the R80 all that well but it's a start.

I was going to toss in a portrait of my GF but she was eating while I was snapping away which does not make for images that are likely to pass the scrutiny of said GF. I just managed to work my way up the pecking order to above one of the Cats and would like to remain at least in the middle of the food chain.

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password