Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              16       17       end

Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

freaklikeme wrote:
...is, at best, a weak analogy, and at worst, elitist garbage. The lenses look great regardless of format or sensor size, so dictating that you only want to see them on the format for which they were designed is as arbitrary as saying rangefinder lenses should only be used on rangefinders since that's the camera for which they were designed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

May 17, 2014 at 05:03 PM
asiafish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

First roll back from my new (to me) Leica M5. This particular M5 was fully serviced and sold to me by Sherry Krauter. It is a mechanical work of art.

50mm f/2 Summicron-M, also with orange filter

62760033.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

62760035.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

May 17, 2014 at 09:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

JonPB wrote:
July, 1953, was when the Zuse Z5 was the first commercial mainframe installed in Germany--at Leica headquarters in Wetzlar. ("Zuse Z5," wikipedia.) But Mandler went to Midland, Ontario, in 1954. (Puts, Leica Chronicle, Chapter 18: General Evaluation.) So it may well be that one thing which heavily influenced Mandler's efforts was a friendly competition between Wetzlar, which had a mainframe, and Midland, which presumably still relied upon dozens of clerks with slide rules.

Cheers,
Jon

By the 70's, Midland definitely used computer optimization.

I found this passage also relevent:

"Dr. Walter Mandler's chief contribution to the optical engineering was his pioneering works in application of computer aided design in optical engineering. Midland optical department was specialized in the research of retrofocus designs and apochromatic corrections. Mandler employed sophisticated combinations of special glasses in his APO and high-speed designs, and many of these glasses were original Leitz formulas manufactured by Schott or Corning. Mandler was a master in optimizing Double-Gauss designs by means of the computer and a particular method developed by him and explained in his doctoral dissertation."

Nice list of Mandler designed lenses here as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mandler

May 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

JaKo wrote
Yeh, crappy things happen in life. It's a second friend I know that lost to cancer in the last couple of months.
As of now she is doing anything and everything to stay as long as possible with her two young kids and a husband.

my condolences, i have a good friend in the same situation currently (including the 2 young kids and husband).

i'm afraid i have nothing but test shots with mandler glass on FF since it looks like the 40 cron isn't on the list.

i do think that a lot of the signature look of the 35 lux pre-asph comes through even on aps-c (and to a lessor extent the 50 lux pre-asph).

May 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Great idea for a thread, Jack. Very sorry to hear about your friend.
I still have my Summicron R 90 which is on the list, but dammit, my Summilux R 50 E55 isn't. Bummer!
Will post some later...I have to revisit my library.
Gregg

May 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Greggf wrote:
Great idea for a thread, Jack. Very sorry to hear about your friend.
I still have my Summicron R 90 which is on the list, but dammit, my Summilux R 50 E55 isn't. Bummer!
Will post some later...I have to revisit my library.
Gregg

I do believe your R Summicron 50 is certainly a Mandler design. Look at this list:
37) Summicron-R 50/2 (1st)
38) Summicron-R 50/2 (2nd & 3rd)

There are only two optical versions. The third is just a different filter thread I believe.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/2_Summicron-R_II

May 17, 2014 at 11:27 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I do believe your R Summicron 50 is certainly a Mandler design. Look at this list:
37) Summicron-R 50/2 (1st)
38) Summicron-R 50/2 (2nd & 3rd)

There are only two optical versions. The third is just a different filter thread I believe.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/2_Summicron-R_II

note that he said summilux not summicron, though i thought the R lux was by mandler as well...

May 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Hi Tariq...My Summicron R 90 is, but my Summilux R 50 E55 isn't. At least it wasn't on that list on the Wikipedia page. Bummer, too, 'cause it's my favorite 50!
thanks for double checking for me though!
Gregg

May 17, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Yeah, I completely "downgraded" your Summilux 50 to a Summicron.

May 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Picture This!
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

I thought the lux-R 50/1.4 was a mandler creation as well but looks like it was designed by Heinz Marquardt ?

May 18, 2014 at 01:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaKo
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

^^^ Not that there's anything wrong with that!
You still have your Cron-r 50?

May 18, 2014 at 01:13 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Jack...the Cron R 50 that got me started was a loaner from one of my customers!her and her husband are big time photographers, and between the two of them, they all manner if lenses! And they usually let me borrow any if I ask nicely!
In fact, I'm borrowing John's Cron M 35 ASPH at the moment. What a fantastic lens! Is that a Mandler lens?

May 18, 2014 at 01:35 AM
Picture This!
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Yes nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, the lux-R 50 is on my wish list after seeing Gregg's shots with it.

Yes I still have the cron 50. Beautiful lens.

May 18, 2014 at 01:41 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Yes nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, the lux-R 50 is on my wish list after seeing Gregg's shots with it.
Thanks Manu! Very nice compliment! Have you shot your 100 Planar much yet?
G

May 18, 2014 at 01:52 AM
Picture This!
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Gregg, yes took a few shots with the contax 100/2 and will post in the sony thread. Love the lens. It has CA wide open but it performs great close and at distance. Liking yours ?

May 18, 2014 at 02:02 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Love it. Initially thought once I got it, I thought I would sell the Cron R 90, but they are totally different lenses!! The planar is sharp WO, all the way to the corners, and even more so stopped down! The 90 Cron isn't quite as sharp, but, (here's to this thread, Jack!!) the R 90 has that "Mandler" look!! Works wonders for portraits!! The planar does, too, but so far, I like the Cron better, and will be keeping both!!
Gregg

May 18, 2014 at 02:22 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

sebboh wrote:
i'm afraid i have nothing but test shots with mandler glass on FF since it looks like the 40 cron isn't on the list.

i do think that a lot of the signature look of the 35 lux pre-asph comes through even on aps-c (and to a lessor extent the 50 lux pre-asph).

I think you might have some. Your Telyt 350 f/4.8 is a Mandler design I believe. I thought I saw some of your shots with it and your new A7, but maybe I am wrong and you no longer have the lens.

May 18, 2014 at 03:32 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Steve Spencer wrote:
I think you might have some. Your Telyt 350 f/4.8 is a Mandler design I believe. I thought I saw some of your shots with it and your new A7, but maybe I am wrong and you no longer have the lens.

ah, i didn't even think about that one. you are correct, here are a few on the a7:

May 18, 2014 at 03:57 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

That first shot is sweet Derek!

May 18, 2014 at 04:28 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Through Walter Mandler Glass (on FF Only)

Yes nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, the lux-R 50 is on my wish list…

Gregg, Manu: one part of me wants the technically perfect lens, but the other side leans towards unique, classic look that still has the bite and details. Not sure where, but I recall reading someone’s advice regarding Leica lenses, specifically Mandler/Karbe: pre/ASPH versions. The poster went from Mandler to Karbe and back to Mandler, but at the end keeping both versions to have the look and performance he needed.

Just look at Derek’s daughter hair locks; even at wider aperture you can see each single hair but without the HDTV ‘crispness’
On Thursday I tested Lux-r 80, Cron-M 90 and Zeiss MP 100 with test charts at various apertures. Zeiss just killed the two other lenses, especially WO across the frame. But so what?; Cron-m 90 being the softer one of the three gave me all detail I want and the look I was chasing.

Leica Summilux–M 50 ASPH may be the very exception, but I hope Gary Clennan will provide more details on this topic very, very soon.

Cron 90 wide open; 100% crop

May 18, 2014 at 06:21 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password