p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1Dx focus improved?

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WPP14_CAM.jpg

May 18, 2014 at 08:57 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1Dx focus improved?

rscheffler wrote:
There was a 1DX product advisory for AF, which requires a trip to Canon, so I'd want to be sure the previous owner had that done, or confirm whether the camera required it in the first place.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024809120b7

Other than that... probably better to get one from a well-off amateur who babies his gear than from a press photographer.

After reading the product advisory linked above, it appears that the cold weather operation issue reported by canonrumors (copied below) is yet a different issue, and apparently needs to be specifically mentioned / requested / reported by the customer in order to also be addressed by Canon, since there is no consumer directed advisory for it.

First, a photo, annotated by the folks at canonrumors.com:

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1dxcold.jpg

Next is what appears to be a service directive, submitted to cr by an anonymous source, since no official service/consumer advisory has yet been issued by Canon on this specific sub mirror locking claw concern:

Symptom:
Camera “does not autofocus”, “does not search in AF”, or “does not focus in AF search” depending on the reporter or the camera settings; specifically, the focus cannot be achieved in low temperatures (under 0 degree Celsius).

* Although there has been no reported occurrence on the EOS-1D C, the mechanical structure of the Mirror Box Ass’y is the same as the EOS-1DX, so the EOS-1D C is included in the affected product.

Cause:
This phenomenon is due to the Locking Claw of the Sub Mirror (mirror for AF) going over the Locking Pin. The Sub Mirror’s angle becomes deviated and the light rays for AF does not fall on the AF sensors, causing the “does not autofocus” phenomenon.

Service of Affected Product:
To control the torque, the process to check the Locking Claw’s going over torque of Locking Pin has been newly incorporated. (From production on January 24, 2013)

Repair Procedure:
Handling of units in question: If the user complains about this specific phenomenon (does not autofocus in low temperature), replace the Mirror Box Ass’y with the ones to be shipped in the future (CY3-1661-010 or CY3-1687-010).

Handling of general repairs: If the user does not mention this phenomenon, please handle as normal repair.

If you don't operate your beginning of production through January 24, 2013 Canon 1DX in cold weather, you may not have noticed any symptoms. But if it were me, I'd still want that issue addressed, in case I later did find a need to operate in extremely cold weather.

May 18, 2014 at 09:13 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1Dx focus improved?

Thanks, will look into it.

May 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM
rlappor
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1Dx focus improved?

I just bought 2 1Dx's for an African safari and the AF is unreal. Best AF that I've ever used. BTW, I will be selling one of the 1Dx's on this site shortly as I don't really need two (although it came in really handy on a safari.)

May 25, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1Dx focus improved?

Gust wrote:
is there anyone who percieve a different AF behaviour between the old and new firmware?
since the last update I think the performance changed. Its more nervous, not as steady as the original firmware on the long tele's.

anyone the same experience?

You decide a lot of it. You can change many settings for the AF depending on lens and what you shoot

May 25, 2014 at 07:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1Dx focus improved?

Focus Locus wrote:
After reading the product advisory linked above, it appears that the cold weather operation issue reported by canonrumors (copied below) is yet a different issue, and apparently needs to be specifically mentioned / requested / reported by the customer in order to also be addressed by Canon, since there is no consumer directed advisory for it.

...If you don't operate your beginning of production through January 24, 2013 Canon 1DX in cold weather, you may not have noticed any symptoms. But if it were me, I'd still want that issue addressed, in case I later did find a need to
...Show more

I think this is bogus. I bought my 1DX in August 2012. I regularly use in outdoors in the winter, at temps down to -25 C. I've never had any of the problems described in the text you posted from canonrumours.

May 25, 2014 at 07:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1Dx focus improved?

Thanks guys, I'm still keeping tabs on this site while I look for a good priced 1Dx.

May 26, 2014 at 06:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.