FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cedar Falls

wswartzwel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cedar Falls

One of the most photographed waterfalls in Arkansas is Cedar Falls on Petit Jean Mountain. This past Saturday morning there were a about 6 photographers there. They were all perched on rocks off to the side to stay dry. We had lots of rain the night before, which is usual for spring in our state. The next 2 months are the best time for photography here, as it dries up and gets brutally hot. Everyone was friendly and polite, asking before moving to avoid getting in each others frame. I waded out into the water a bit, and got this composition, which after searching the web have not seen before. Most people shoot either just the falls, or from a distance back to include the trees along the stream, but miss the pool of water. The water was moving pretty fast and was brilliant white regardless of what shutter speed I used, so I exposed for the best color I could get. Thanks for looking, and comments are appreciated.

Cedar Falls

May 14, 2014 at 07:50 PM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cedar Falls

Nice composition for sure. I think a faster shutter speed might have given the fall a bit of detail as it looks blown out to me. Water falls can be tough to get right. I would also dodge the black area on the left and tone down the green saturation a little. There is also some blue around the bottom of the fall in the rocks that needs to be toned down. I did some work on it and can show you if you like. Dave

May 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cedar Falls

Sure. would love to see your work on it. funny thing is I burned the black area to darken it, to emphasize the water…

May 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cedar Falls

I can remove this easily, so let me know if you don't want it to remain in the thread. Dave
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v184/p950841194-4.jpg

May 14, 2014 at 10:57 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cedar Falls

You can leave it up, That way I can study it. Thanks.

Your version looks like what came out of my camera, before I edited it. ....Guess I could have left it alone.

May 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cedar Falls

Elitefroggy,
Please go ahead and remove your version of my image. I really really appreciate the edit, and the time you put into it. After sleeping on it, and studying your version… I noticed that the colors of the lichen, and the iron stains on the rocks, just don't show like they did in the morning when I was there. What I presented was much more like what I saw.

Your image is very pleasing to the eye, however what I posted is more representative of what it actually looked like that morning, with the water rushing, and the air currents blowing like crazy, in that cave like area.
Everything was soaked from the mist and the colors were vibrant.

BTW I looked at some of your images on the forum, and your website. You are a phenomenal photographer. I really like your work!!!

Thanks so much!
Bill Swartzwelder

May 15, 2014 at 07:42 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.