New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · viewfinder display dimmed/out

theater_dad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · viewfinder display dimmed/out

while shooting a recent theatrical event, i actually had my viewfinder display go dark. i fiddled with everything but couldn't get it to come on. switched the power on/off. took the battery out. removed/replaced the lens. looked all over for a menu setting i might have accidentally changed...nothing worked.

i went ahead and shot with it. after a while i wasn't even paying attention.

at a second event the following weekend, i noticed that it came back on at some point. i have no idea what might have toggled it.seems to be fine now.

has anyone seen this before?

this was on a d600 with 70-200 vr1. manual mode.

td

May 14, 2014 at 04:32 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · viewfinder display dimmed/out

That control comes from either 1 of 2 places.

There is a partial read that comes from the light reading/meter that says "I'm in THIS light, and need to bump it up" and it does.. If that signal doesn't make it. You have the aforementioned.

If the actual physical connector to the display is not seated.

Baring any exposure issues (as these could be tied in with this fault) it's either a failing display array, or the connector failing to seat.

On the users end. Blow out your mirror box....WELL. And see if this reoccurs. If it does, it will be Nikon Service or APS before complete failure.

May 14, 2014 at 06:16 PM
theater_dad

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · viewfinder display dimmed/out

John Skinner wrote:
That control comes from either 1 of 2 places......

thanks john. i'm left wondering how you know this.....maybe there are camera schematics somewhere (or you're a secret nikon designer)? in any event, thanks for the root cause.

since nikon offered to service all of the d600s...., mine is going to go to el segundo shortly. one more show to shoot first.

richard

May 16, 2014 at 03:00 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · viewfinder display dimmed/out

It's not really a matter of diagrams or hard fixes here. Inside these bodies are very few actual electronic components. Each of them are 'plug-n-play' type boards. Be that an LED array, or Expeed3/4 main boards, shutter assemblies, sensors etc.

You will notice (depending on how your settings are) there is an adjustment inside the menu system for the 'brightness' of this lower viewfinder output. That is you can adjust it to read (eg) High/Med/Low. And it will fluctuate when the camera is pointed between brighter and darker light sources. If your actual exposures are having a bad time. This could indicate the exposure....and hand in hand.. the LED light reading portion is faulty.

If it's JUST the info array. That's either the input of voltage to it. Or, the ribbon cable that feeds this array is not seated in it's electrical contact seat. All of this I more or less said above. I have replaced main Expeed boards and some of the chimping LCD's on the backs of the Nikons due to impact damage (I can't believe I just said impact damage ) so when you have to tear em down.. You have to put it all back together in the end. These are just some of the little gems I've picked up after doing 30 or 40 bodies... Rubber replacements, viewfinders, dioptic adjusters etc.

Good luck with your issue.

May 16, 2014 at 03:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.