New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Portraits from Africa

CareyNash
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portraits from Africa

I have been steadily going through my images from Ethiopia six weeks ago and I'd love to share some more with you. I have posted a few times before and I truly appreciate the kind words. Ethiopia is quite honestly of the the worlds most amazing countries to travel and visit in my personal experience.

If you wish to see more from this trip you can find other images and posts on my blog here:

Africa and Ethiopia Blog Post #5

May 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portraits from Africa

I have really enjoyed these posts and this is no exception. The triptych is wonderful. What lens are you using in the 3rd (color) image?

May 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portraits from Africa

Hello Carey,

I have also enjoyed these photos, as I enjoy seeing any scenes from Africa.
Thanks for sharing them here.

I like your style and the subjects are fascinating.

I hope you will post more in the future too.

I have a few sincere questions and it is just curiosity and asked in a friendly tone and intent. I hope you will answer.

I wonder about this: Are these subjects paid or compensated in any way to pose for you? If so, how?

Did the subjects expect to be paid or compensated in any way?

Were they expecting a visiting photographer (or group of photog/tourists) to visit and so it was expected they would pose for the visitors?

I read your introduction in an earlier post where you mentioned you visited the country as part of an arranged visit (with someone else arranging your travel in country as I recall).

So, did they compensate the people in some way?

Or perhaps it was understood that if the guide brought you to their village, that the people should pose for the visiting photographers (perhaps because the headman or chief had been compensated earlier by the guide).

May 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM
JaJoZ

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portraits from Africa

Carey, I too have greatly enjoyed, and been impressed with, your Ethiopia images and these images are no exception. Very well done and thank you for sharing.

May 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portraits from Africa

Another outstanding thread from Ethiopia. I really enjoy your post work on these images! Thanks for posting!

May 14, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portraits from Africa

Another fantastic set, Carey. Very envious.

May 14, 2014 at 02:34 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portraits from Africa

Hi Steady,

I'd like to hear Carey's answer too, but let me share my experiences on travels to Africa and Asia. Generally when out in the African bush we took simple food supplies to share with the people or we bought simple hand crafts from them in exchange for photos, but it was not required. In the more remote locations the people were quite generous and never directly asked for money. I always try to be respectful of the culture and if I see they have crafts for display, I take an admiring view and offer to purchase something. In only a couple of instances was payment arranged in advance. In Asia we were almost always hit up for payment, typically much less than $1. The little bit of money I leave behind is alway more useful to the people than to me, so I don't mind. In Myanmar and India the street vendors are much more aggressive, although I never felt intimidated, I did feel annoyed.

...Dave

Steady Hand wrote:
So, did they compensate the people in some way?

May 14, 2014 at 02:44 PM
milfordpoint

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portraits from Africa

dhachey wrote:
Hi Steady,

I'd like to hear Carey's answer too, but let me share my experiences on travels to Africa and Asia. Generally when out in the African bush we took simple food supplies to share with the people or we bought simple hand crafts from them in exchange for photos, but it was not required. In the more remote locations the people were quite generous and never directly asked for money. I always try to be respectful of the culture and if I see they have crafts for display, I take an admiring view and offer to purchase something. In
...Show more

We had the same experience in East Africa. You cannot take anyone's picture without their permission, so we bought something if they were selling something or offered a dollar. Some of them wanted us to take their picture. We did have one arranged trip where we could learn more about the Maasai and take pictures freely.

@ Carey - love your pictures and would love to see and hear more about your trip. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.

cheers.

May 14, 2014 at 03:24 PM
reesem
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portraits from Africa

Carey, these are absolutely beautiful images! I love how you brought out the textures and tones of these people. Great stuff on the blog too...thanks for posting!

May 14, 2014 at 03:57 PM
sevendhappy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portraits from Africa

The portraits are fantastic! Great job.

May 14, 2014 at 04:16 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.