New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

In the days before Hong Kong was given to China.
Let me mention that the man's expression likely speaks volumes to those who have really experienced Hong Kong. Although it may not say much to those who have not been there. / .

Charlie Shugart 2014

Hong Kong- Scan from B&W Negative

May 14, 2014 at 01:42 AM
mrchile
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

Perhaps you could enlighten those of us who haven't been there Charlie?
To me he just looks like he's enjoying a relaxing moment between rides.

May 14, 2014 at 08:50 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

Upon further reflection, you may be more right than I was, MrChile.
Yesterday was not a good day for me- a friend insulted me badly, and worst of all, probably didn't even know it.
As I was processing this photo, I realized that although the man's look might be considered "neutral" at worst, in my dozen trips to Hong Kong I had come to realize that almost without exception, the only real (apparent) friendliness and politeness from any of the Chinese came in first class establishments and when I was considering buying a product. Same thing with the seven trips I took onto China. In Macao, I slowly raised my camera to take a photo of some men with "Red China" in the distance. They waved their hands no, so I put my camera down, turned, and as I walked away they threw small rocks at me.
Among the rare exceptions in China were when I asked permission to take photos of parents and grandparents with the little ones. Invariably, they were all smiles and cooperative.
This man's "gaze" suddenly slapped me in the face with all that (except for the kid photography).
By the way- My five trips to Japan were exactly the opposite. I could stop a scurrying businessman in downtown Tokyo and ask him where the Old Imperial Hotel was located, and there was a fair chance that he would walk me there- since outside the tourist industry, few Japanese speak English, and he was too polite to leave me stranded.
Charlie

May 14, 2014 at 07:42 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

An interesting story Charlie, I wonder if things have changed, the chinese are certainly coming out here and buying up a lot of our real estate, they are not the poor country any more.

Cheers Ray

May 15, 2014 at 01:42 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

Dougo wrote:
An interesting story Charlie, I wonder if things have changed, the chinese are certainly coming out here and buying up a lot of our real estate, they are not the poor country any more.

Cheers Ray

Of course, mine is just one person's opinion- although it's based on repeated experiences and considerable reflection.
But the Chinese culture has changed little (down deep) in the last several thousand years.
And business IS business.
And it's not just in China/Hong Kong. If you have any local businesses where you live (like I have where I live), you realize that given half a chance, a Chinese business person will succeed where others fail.
My experience indicates that they are extremely hard-working and very smart at whatever business opportunities they have.
Charlie

May 15, 2014 at 04:17 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

The photo does make me consider the simplicity of life he must lead/have lead.
I have to wonder what age the average driver is upon being force out of this trade due to inability to pedal the weight. Probably much longer than I would guess, due to the daily regimine and healthy diet, eh?

-Tim

May 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM
alrac
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

To me his expression says he would rather be in a different line of work. Especially if he has to deal with a lot of tourists.

May 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM
kris.sb

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hong Kong----Rickshaw Man

Which film were you using?

May 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.