New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom 5 Photo Lost?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 5 Photo Lost?

I was looking at some settings of a picture I was really happy with in Lightroom 5 when suddenly I hit something and the setting, all of them, changed. I can't seem to get them back to the original set.

How can I restore them all back to the original that I had when I closed the computer last night or even started it this morning? I went back and tried clicking on the panel of settings on the left side but it didn't do anything very productive. I had written down some of the first series of settings so I know they're wrong.

HELPS - I'm very depressed!

May 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 5 Photo Lost?

OK , LR is non destructive so you can get back to where you were .

Now 1st question is do you back up your LR cat on a regular basis? if the answer is YES then just find a LRcat backup thats recent but pre mess up and use that one - you can just double click the cat file and LR will start .

also are you writing changes to the XMP file or just to the LRcat . I will have to check but I think you would need to delete (or at least move away from you image folder) the XMP's otherwise LR will probably use the settings in the XMP as they are later .
(I dont use xmp but i think LR still keeps the edits in its cat file . I'll experiment in a little bit and come back )

if the answer is no , (then lesson learned . back up the cat file often . IE when LR exits ) . all is still not lost its just that this takes longer as your doing it on each image .
in the DEVELOP mode there is a HISTORY panel (left hand side) . each edit you made to that image is listed here . click the line in the History that is before the CHANGE happened .

from what your saying the change was probably a settings sync . bottom right of the develop mode is a SYNC settings button . if you have multiple images selected and click SYNC those images will take the settings of the master image .
there is a box that comes up before the changes are applied though , this allows yoiu to choose the edits you want or dont want with a series of TICK boxes .

May 14, 2014 at 01:11 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 5 Photo Lost?

HI Bill - Good inputs from Ian.
Here are some other thoughts
- First I will assume you are in the Develop Module
- There are a number of keyboard keys that could make big changes all of a sudden. An example is the backslash key "\" which shows you the original image without any adjustments. Tap that key again and all adjustments are applied
- A key clue to what happen is at your fingertips. In the left panel of the Develop Module open up the History panel. All adjustment steps are saved with the image has history so you should have a record of all steps. If one of the last steps is not what you wanted and is what caused your issue, then you just click on a prior history state and the image is restored to that point in the adjustment history.
----------------------
Not sure this solves your problem yet thought this approach was worth mentioning.

May 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 5 Photo Lost?

Thanks Ian and John. I'll try them tonight and let you know what I find. Hopefully what I'll find is my older version of the photo!

May 14, 2014 at 02:40 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 5 Photo Lost?

Fingers crossed for you.

May 14, 2014 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.