New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Iteration

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iteration

Is it just me or is Canon falling WAY behind everyone else in releasing new camera bodies? Panasonic seems to be the only company still in super-release mode, but Olympus, Sony, etc. are all still iterating. But perhaps Canon is being more profitable by not releasing new cameras with very minor updates?

May 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iteration

Wut?

Other than firmware updates, what do you mean by very minor updates?

May 14, 2014 at 12:27 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iteration

Aren't most of those companies rehashing the 4:3 super subminiature 16MP sensors? Do any of those make full pro systems like Nikon and Canon?

EBH

May 14, 2014 at 12:46 AM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iteration

What's left? We have 20+ MP bodies, both full frame and APS-C with up to 10 fps still image rates, full 1080HD video at full cinema rates, pro audio out, pro video out and extremely low noise at high ISOs. They've got Wi-Fi and GPS. HDMI out. iPad Control. Computer Control. Android Control. The only thing missing is 4K and higher frame rates (i.e., 1080p or 4K at 120 and 240fps for slow motion) and that's still all a niche market, especially 4K as most consumers and prosumers can't afford even a 4K display or a machine to handle the footage to even be able to see the difference.

What more would one need? Where does the megapixel race end? At 40? 75? 400? 10,000? What could you do with a 400 megapixel full-frame camera that you couldn't do with a 10 megapixel full-frame camera? What other gadgets and gizmos do you need packed into a camera? The 7D had dual processors so I guess a quad-core camera? Or 8-core? My 6D handles files just fine with whatever processor is in-built.

I'm not being condescending here, I'm genuinely curious as to what Canon has to do to appease the masses as I can't really think of anything.

I worked at Ritz Camera through college and I can remember people coming in and I'd be in the middle of selling a camera and they would say, "Well, that camera only has 10 megapixels, I really wanted something higher than that." I would then ask them what size photos they'd be printing and they would almost always say, "Oh, we're not printing them, that's why we're going digital. These are for the computer." Or, the other response I got was, "Maybe just a 4x6 or 8x10 for grandma or to give as a Christmas card."

My point with that story is that most people think they need a million megapixels (a terapixel?) when in fact, a simple 10 or 12 megapixel camera is all they need. I would LOVE a full-frame, 10 megapixel camera with today's technology.

So, what is Panasonic doing that you wish Canon was doing?

May 14, 2014 at 06:15 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iteration

matthewm wrote:
What's left? We have 20+ MP bodies, both full frame and APS-C with up to 10 fps still image rates, full 1080HD video at full cinema rates, pro audio out, pro video out and extremely low noise at high ISOs. They've got Wi-Fi and GPS. HDMI out. iPad Control. Computer Control. Android Control. The only thing missing is 4K and higher frame rates (i.e., 1080p or 4K at 120 and 240fps for slow motion) and that's still all a niche market, especially 4K as most consumers and prosumers can't afford even a 4K display or a machine to handle the
...Show more

Well you just said the same thing but in a different way. You love today's technology in the cameras...one of those technologies, and a very important one is the sensor. You might be happy with old sensor tech but want the latest greatest other techs in the camera. For others, all that other tech is not important and a higher pixel better sensor is. Just different priorities for what they shoot. I really don't need the high ISO, fast AF, fast fps, wifi, gps cameras of today, but I could use a better sensor with more pixels and better dynamic range.

So for you some new tech is important, for me other new tech is important. Nothing wrong with that and you shouldn't look at some wanting more pixels as a bad thing just because you don't need them.

May 14, 2014 at 07:15 AM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iteration

chez wrote:
Well you just said the same thing but in a different way. You love today's technology in the cameras...one of those technologies, and a very important one is the sensor. You might be happy with old sensor tech but want the latest greatest other techs in the camera. For others, all that other tech is not important and a higher pixel better sensor is. Just different priorities for what they shoot. I really don't need the high ISO, fast AF, fast fps, wifi, gps cameras of today, but I could use a better sensor with more pixels and better dynamic
...Show more

True... I guess I was just saying that these things have sort of plateaued. Kind of like a lot of technology. It's hard to be innovative when what we have is already eons better than what we had even 5-10 years ago.

But you're right... Some things are more important to others. It's up to the camera makers to appease the masses.

May 14, 2014 at 07:20 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iteration

lenses!

May 14, 2014 at 08:05 AM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iteration

I still want a camera that can focus in the dark or at least -5EV without assist. And noiseless ISO 112k would be useful. And I'm fine if that's at 8-12MB instead of the 40+ they seem to be shooting for these days.

But these things have not happened most likely because they do not exist or cannot be created based on where technology sits today.

May 14, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Iteration

matthewm wrote:
I was just saying that these things have sort of plateaued. Kind of like a lot of technology. It's hard to be innovative when what we have is already eons better than what we had even 5-10 years ago.

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Whether DSLRs or software or pocket computers (with phone apps) or stem cell therapy or designer pets or driverless traffic or homes that know you better than the NSA, ... it's not even close to plateauing.

May 14, 2014 at 04:52 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Iteration

alfarmer wrote:
Is it just me or is Canon falling WAY behind everyone else in releasing new camera bodies? Panasonic seems to be the only company still in super-release mode, but Olympus, Sony, etc. are all still iterating. But perhaps Canon is being more profitable by not releasing new cameras with very minor updates?

This just might be another example of the sort of thread that Fred said he would lock a few days ago. We'll see... ;-)

May 14, 2014 at 04:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.