New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · J&R is gone

jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · J&R is gone

Talk in the trade has been that J&R was in serious trouble. I'm sorry to see them go.They were good to deal with and always treated me fairly. In the last few years they seemed to
be trying to raise their prices and perhaps that's what did them in.It also may have been their
location in downtown. What ever the reason, there are going to be a lot of folks out of work
again.

May 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · J&R is gone

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/retail/6042295/jr-music-world-closing

May 13, 2014 at 02:20 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · J&R is gone

Sounds like they plan to reopen in a few years, although that won't help the current employees. Doesn't surprise me though. That old store (or collection of stores) was like a throwback to the 1950s and not a pleasant shopping experience. It was also in a weird location. Handy if you work downtown, otherwise a PITA to get to.

May 13, 2014 at 07:44 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · J&R is gone

Looks like they're not gone, but remaking themselves in preparation of the new downtown boom that will follow the Millennium tower.

May 13, 2014 at 08:04 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · J&R is gone

It was time to redo the retail experience I suppose. Roosevelt Field Mall is getting a second makeover in my lifetime. B&H fortunately in a single store structure has done some massive department relocations / improvements that were designed to occur during long holiday closures. I've been going there long enough to have witnessed at least two large renovations. Adorama has also gone through a total store makeover to better leverage it's shop floor space.

Brick and mortar, in order to survive, needs to have a competitive infrastructure that is both attractive and efficient.

J & R's gaggle of linked stores needed to be overhauled in light of retail meccas popping up in all parts of the city and they'd been raking in the dough all these years so they are able to make those changes.

May 14, 2014 at 04:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · J&R is gone

actually J&R was "gone" for quite some time. it just took awhile for the "body to decompose".

we shall see what rises from the ashes.

May 14, 2014 at 08:15 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · J&R is gone

I haven't been back to NY in almost 10 years but I remeber when there were many camera stores downtown.
1.Wall Street Camera
2. Haber and Fink
3. Willoughbys
4. Camera Barn
5.Tri-State
6. B+H
7. J&R
8. I don't remember the name, but there was also a guy in the World Trade Center.

Have I forgotten anybody? I can't believe that the area can't support a single store. I guess
the rents are too astronomical these days.

May 16, 2014 at 04:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · J&R is gone

i have been to
wall street camera
Willoughbys
the barn
B&H
J&R

oh, and its been more then 10 years for the demise of most of these.

TriState is still around but not there. Brooklyn. went there once and that was enough.
http://www.tristatecamera.com/

that whole area is mutating believe me. my sister in law lives down there

May 16, 2014 at 06:39 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.